Where to now for the Irish Church?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I think what I have always thought.

The Christian Brothers were a law unto their own. We didn't need an inquest like this to tell us it was systemic. The teaching orders that took on the less academically minded institutions were given free reign to do whatever. As has been seen in some lay institutions, vulnerable children draw predators. That kind of person was not only attracted to these orders but actively encouraged within them.

The worst thing about this is (I mean other than the actual acts of abuse) that the rest of the Church was willing to cover it up - those in authority, anyway. It has done untold damage to the reputation of the Church, across all walks of Irish life. And to the reputation of all the good priests out there who, trust me, feel exactly the same about this as the rest of us - if not worse.

It does seem very unfair that the Christian Brothers were able to sue the Commission to keep the identities of the perpetrators secret. I wonder did Church funds pay for their legal team - I expect they did. That is shameful - that order specifically should cease to be. I don't care what they think of themselves, those men are not Catholics, not Christians at all.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Having read a number of books on what went on behind the doors of these institutions and establishments. i.e. the Madeleine Orphanages. The have been numerous reports about catholic priests, brothers, not only in Ireland, but the UK and America. They do say money talks, here appears to be a perfect example. Why should they have and gain the right to prevent names of the abusers being published. I cannot understand the courts allowing this to happen, particularly when thousands or young innocent children have been mentally scared for life, through physical, mental and sexual abuse. I was brought up a catholic and broke away when I was sixteen and so glad that I did. For these revelations and the way they are being completely ignored, sickens to the core. My father who was a devout catholic would be turning in his grave if at this revelation. Those thousands of innocent children have gone through hell whist living on his earth, by a faith that extols divine love.

The pope no matter how mighty he may be should not bury his head in the sand but should take action or would that completely destroy the Catholic Church. If it has not already been destroyed. They wonder why churches are emptying at a rapid rate.

An Irish child though, doesn't stand much of a chance avoiding the Catholic church even he or she wants to. Perhaps Manly could explain the relationship between the Irish education system and the Catholic church?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Prraps - but she's a bit busy at the moment.

The Catholic Church had vert little to do with my education - but there is still a very strong connection generally speaking - The Church did an awful lot for Irish education and the country would not be where it is today without that charity to the Irish population. On the whole I am grateful. The problem was not with the likes of the priests and nuns on the boards of schools mainly staffed by lay teachers. The problem was with the dedicated teaching orders like the Christan Brothers who ran and staffed entire institutions where the abuse was part of the system. It didn't extend in to the Community schools, such as the one I went to.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I attended Christian Brothers' schools for much of my youth. Discipline was enforced but not meted out violently. I encountered no abuse.

This sad story symbolizes why I can't forgive the Catholic Church: Its as much about the abuse as the systematic cover ups by those in authority who had the power to do something about it and didn't.