Where were you when Challenger Exploded?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

I was just rewatching the old footage from that fateful day in January 86...

where wereyou?
    what were you ding?
    How old were you?
    What do you remember/how were you feeling/were there people around...etc...

do you remember it clearly or just hazily?

I was at school (9th grade) 14 years old, and i was on my way to the cafeteria for lunch...i stopped in to the infirmary, which was on the same floor, because the nurse had a big tv in there, and lots of kids would go in to hang out with her cause she was very nice and cool...anyway, the tv was on and several of us were watching the launch...there had been so much publicity because Christa McAuliffe was going up...I still remember how confused everyone was at first, i remember watching it on CNN which was still only in its first couple of years, and remember the dialogue almost word for word

YouTube - Challenger Disaster Live on CNN

I remember at first thinking that everything was okay, and maybe just the main tank and rocket boosters had separated too soon, but then when the telemetry and flight control's voice in the background said "obviously a major malfunction", and i remember watching the solid rocket boosters spinning down down down, and all the smoke and contrails were so easily seen because the sky was so clear and blue...i remember hoping and hoping that there was some kind of massive parachute/emergency device for the crew compartment, but i had a feeling there wasn't and then whne the camera panned to all the families sitting there watching it, it was heartbreaking...it spread so fast through the school, but nobody would believe you when you told them...i remember people walking by the open door and we were all glued to the TV, and a person or two would walk by every few seconds and say "what's going on" and you would say "Challenger exploded", and people didn't believe you at first, but then came in and watched...i remember the rest of the days people did virtually no homework or anything, class rooms with TV's the library the AV rooms all were tuned in and the rest of the day everyone just watched.

Say what you want about Reagan, but his speech at the memorial was really beautiful...it was such a terrible day...

I think the one thing that makes me ultra-furious, was a few weeks (or days, i can't remember) later, when they were attempting to figure out what happened to the crew, and it was a big controversy, about whether they were conscious, if they knew what was happening, since they all survived the initial explosion etc...there was an awful tabloid magazine that claimed it had a voice recording from the cockpit, and they transcribed the 2 minutes or so of freefall, with the crew praying, screaming, crying...it was vile and despicable...anyone remember that? I honestly still, to this day would like to meet the jerk that wrote that, the person who published it and the people who okayed it...what a bunch of a-holes

#1 Flashy, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

That was a very sad day. I remember i was driving home from work and heard it on the radio. Then seeing the footage of it on tv was even worse.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

yeah, i just re-watched the clip where they were showing the families watching it live...i will never forget how composed Christa McAuliffe's parents were...it was really amazing, considering what they must have been going through at the moment...i mean, when you are standing there and the NASA mission control director's voice comes over the loudspeaker and says "we have a report from the flight dynamics officer that the vehicle has exploded and the flight director confirms that"...can you imagine that? I cannot imagine how they remained so brave

YouTube - SHUTTLE CHALLENGER EXPLODES!

4. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Yes i just re-watched it too. Such a sad day.

5. Flashy

Gold Member

it's so strange how long ago it seems now...but i guess it goes to show you how calm we had come about space travel by that time...i remember when Columbia went up the very first time, how incredible even the concept was...i remember when Columbia went up in 1981, the sense of awe...and then by the time Challenger went up, it had become almost routine.

when Columbia went up and came back i was so nervous the entire time as i was only 9, but i still remember Columbia landing and coming back and how amazing it all was.

Now, launching stuff into space is so routine as to be almost unnoticeable.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

I was 19 and attending a 2 yr fashion college in NYC. There were 4 of us country bumpkins from Jersey that would commute into the city together. We always played disco cassettes and finished putting on our makeup and sometimes swapped clothes on the way into school. :rolleyes:

When we got to school everyone was in the lobby watching the real news. We saw the explosion but didn't understand. This was weird because the tv in the lobby normally only played fashion videos with Elsa Klensch 24/7. The receptionist was crying. Someone said the Challenger exploded and we were all like "No Way!" Then we saw it on tv again and it was still too horrible to believe.

I know it sounds silly but I still remember that day as being the day there was no fashion news. Nothing else mattered. I don't even think we really had classes we just gathered in the lobby watching the tv or milled about the halls a bit lost. We didn't know any of the astronauts personally, yet it seemed like we had lost a family member. My mom was still teaching then and I remember thinking what if that had been her up there. :frown1:

7. Principessa

Gold Member

I stopped following NASA stuff after that. I don't deal well with death. :redface: I remember being surprised sometime in the 90's when I noticed they no longer did water landings. I mentioned it to a friend and she was like "oh yeah, when did that stop? I think it was a while ago.":confused:

8. pbmonkey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was about 22 years old playing a game of darts with a friend in a local pub and enjoying a good micro brew ale. The television was on at the bar. the barmaid said "oh god this is bad!" I looked over to her to see what she was commenting on; And seen the shuttle & rocket exploding in front of my eyes on the T.V. screen. Everyone in the pub fell silent! My first thought was, I just witnessed several astronauts die! And getting a sick feeling in my gut.
    Even worse Christa McAuliffe grew up in a town only 20 miles away from the pub I was sitting in. and was a local hero in that area. Needless to say the whole town was devastated for several days after!
    The only other time I have seen such a gut wrenching thing on the television was the act of terrorism that happened on Sept. 9/11 N.Y. world trade center towers.

#8 pbmonkey, Oct 21, 2008
  9. Flashy

Gold Member

I appreciate the story monkey, my friend...but if you don't mind me asking, what were all these people doing in a pub at 11:30 AM drinking?

( i assume you were in New Hampshire/Massachusetts, since i recall Christa being from there)

was everyone gathered there to watch her cause she was from the area?

10. Mr Ed in Mass

Gold Member

Massachusetts,The most corrupt of the 57 states.
    I was at work, and we had an early lunch,so that we could watch the liftoff.We were all floored by what happened and stayed watching the events long after our break time.

i believe Christa was from N.H.

11. B_socalstud89

B_socalstud89 New Member

I wasnt even thought of yet

12. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't remember specifically seeing it explode or anything live....but I remember seeing it on the news and in the papers for some time afterwards. I live 60 miles away from Huntsville, Al, where all of the rockets and jet propulsion technology was developed. Ultimately, (if my memory surves me well) it was found that the problem that caused the explosion was blamed on errors made at Marshall Space Flight Center

#12 unabear09, Oct 21, 2008
  13. chiefone4u

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I was about 8 or 9 years old, in the third grade. The teachers decided that the whole school needed to watch this historic event. The teachers explained to us why it was such a historical moment in time as they were getting ready to launch... as a school of about 150 students sat quietly in each of their respective class rooms (kindergarten through forth grade) watching the launch live on TV... when BOOM! Challenger exploded, the teachers freaked out... the TV's were turned off... and along came the school busses to take all of the children (who just witnessed this historic moment in time) home.

For the next 2 months we were required to talk to physiologists about the event and how we felt about it. After that memorable event, our school district forbid showing anything live in the class room... from that day on, anything shown in a class room was previously recorded and viewed in full by a member of the staff.

I must be honest, I haven't had an urge or want to see any other launch... there are still times when that day flashes vividly into my mind... pretty much anytime I hear or see the word "challenger" I can vividly remember seeing the engines ignite, and the fiery mess that fell to the ground after the explosion.

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I was 12 and not long home from school (it happened at 16.49 in our timezone) - I was watching Children's BBC and saw this:

YouTube - BBC Newsround Challenger Disaster 1986 (Brief Clip)

The 'Newsround' program was news for kids and was generally on between 5pm and 5.15 - this is how the BBC broke the news. I recall being somewhat incredulous.

15. Runco

Runco New Member

I had just turned 15 and, given the time of day this happened (approx 4.40pm GMT), I was probably at home doing homework or on my way home from school (but I really cannot remember!).

I didn't see the explosion live but I saw it later on, on the news and I remember feeling shocked that all those people had died just like that...

#15 Runco, Oct 21, 2008
  16. pbmonkey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Flashy, We where at the pub a little early for a dart tournament that started around noon. Of course all that was forgotten after the news!

17. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

But Kotch - according to your sig you were born in 1983 - Challenger exploded in January 1986, you must have been at least 2. You sure your dad isn't misremembering the age you bumped your noggin? Or is the sig date wrong?

(I always knew the 'dropped on the head as a baby' thing had something behind it :tongue: And yes, I was too :redface:)

18. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Wow... I don't recall at all, and to be honest I probably couldn't of recalled a year later.

19. Flashy

Gold Member

just checking...wanted to make sure it wasn't a regular 11:00 AM thing, LOL :smile::wink:

20. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was in study hall and watching it on one of a few TV's that were scattered throughout the school. I was strangely numb when I saw it... although I have had fucked up dreams about the re-entry into our atmosphere many times since. The one that went down several years ago just seemed like a replay of the Challenger incident... plus, I was already emotionally drained from September 11th which happened only a year and a half earlier.

The worst part was all of those black dick jokes that everyone told after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted