Where's Oprah in all this?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll state right off the bat I'm no great fan of Oprah Winfrey. But didn't she have a rather famous interview with Michael Jackson at his ranch back in the 90s??

Can someone(s) kindly tell me why, in the midst of all this unhappy fanfare surrounding the death of Jackson, Winfrey appears to be utterly mute?

She weighs in on every other topic of the day. ... but she's deafeningly silent from what I can tell regarding Jackson's untimely death. Hmmmm...

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :confused: My guess is that unlike many others she doesn't believe in speaking ill of the dead. :cool: For the sake of clarity: I think that Oprah believes Michael Jackson was guilty of child molestation and/or pedophilia. Since she has nothing nice to say about him, she has chosen to say nothing at all.

Something I wish some other people on this site would learn to do. :angryfire2:

I'll state right off the bat I'm no great fan of

Oprah Winfrey. But didn't she have a rather famous interview with Michael Jackson at his ranch back in the 90s??

Can someone(s) kindly tell me why, in the midst of all this unhappy fanfare surrounding the death of Jackson, Winfrey appears to be utterly mute?

She weighs in on every other topic of the day. ... but she's deafeningly silent from what I can tell regarding Jackson's untimely death. Hmmmm...

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or Gladys Knight. She really discovered Michael..NOT Diana Ross and neither were there at his service.[/QUOTE] :eek: Really? :confused: I didn't know that. Though to be fair both have been out of the limelight for quite sometime now. Maybe they chose to remember him privately as Liz Taylor did. Hey! Maybe they all got together for lunch and reminiscing at Ms. Taylor's humble abode. :smile: I wonder what they ate? :confused:

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :confused: My guess is that unlike many others she doesn't believe in speaking ill of the dead. :cool: For the sake of clarity: I think that Oprah believes Michael Jackson was guilty of child molestation and/or pedophilia. Since she has nothing nice to say about him, she has chosen to say nothing at all.

Something I wish some other people on this site would learn to do. :angryfire2:
This is also my guess.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Or Gladys Knight. She really discovered Michael..NOT Diana Ross and neither were there at his service.[/QUOTE] :eek: Really? :confused: I didn't know that. Though to be fair both have been out of the limelight for quite sometime now. Maybe they chose to remember him privately as Liz Taylor did. Hey! Maybe they all got together for lunch and reminiscing at Ms. Taylor's humble abode. :smile: I wonder what they ate? :confused:

That would be nice to think and I smell an HBO special! Gladys I thought as usual would be on tour and wtf did Diana have to do that day? Beat another Supreme? Liz I heard was sick and she is like 1000 yrs old and god only knows if she was in LA then.
Diana Ross had an lp released thru Motown thru her luuuuvahhhh Berry Gordy called Diana Ross Presents the Jackson Five tho as it was widely reported the last week Gladys while on tour w/the Pips really discovered the Jackson 5.
MJ left his kids to DR second only to his own mom and she couldn't show her face? Maybe her weave turned out bad that day.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Why does she have to say anything? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, maybe Oprah is grief striken about Michael Jackson dying. You never know. She will probably do an interview with the Jackson family or something--when the time is appropriate.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I'll state right off the bat I'm no great fan of Oprah Winfrey.

I guess you'll have to contact Oprah to answer your question. The Jackson family has been sent an overwhelming amount of condolences, with hers quite likely being among them, and the media is already saturated with such comments from celebrities. Presently the media's preoccupation is with speculation about Michael Jackson's death and the findings of California investigators in this regard and not finding a message of condolence from Oprah.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Because it's uncharacteristic of her to have nothing to say about EVERYTHING. She's the resident AMURKUN know-it-all.

This would be top on her list were it not for what njqt said.

There have been a slew of dead celebrities lately. And she hasn't had anything to say. Why now?

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There have been a slew of dead celebrities lately. And she hasn't had anything to say. Why now?

ah .. hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps she's planning a memorial show to Jackson, Karl Malden, Farrah Fawcett, Billy Mays, and Ed McMahon en masse.

My point is that she reveres Sydney Poitier and Maya Angelou (who's curiously been out of most of Oprah's show text over the last few years) almost to a disproportionate reverence. I think both are tremendous individuals who've contributed greatly too.

But certainly Jackson's demise has not escaped her notice.

Her deafening silence says a great deal more (even if she does believe those pedophile charges against him) about her than they do Jackson. Don't forget she used him for all he was worth during her 1990s interview him at his Neverland Ranch.

Oprah reminds me of the late Princess of Wales in this way.

I think both blow hot and cold with people.

While Oprah will coo and bill over a Maria Shriver (because of her quasi-faux connection to this phenomenon known as the Kennedys as "American Royalty") she has - as she did with President Obama - a tremendous forum to bring this thing into perspective. Her talk show and her influence is unquestionably vast.

Again I say 'Where's Oprah in all this'?

dreamer20 said:
I guess you'll have to contact Oprah to answer your question. The Jackson family has been sent an overwhelming amount of condolences, with hers quite likely being among them, and the media is already saturated with such comments from celebrities. Presently the media's preoccupation is with speculation about Michael Jackson's death and the findings of California investigators in this regard and not finding a message of condolence from Oprah.

You're missing my point dreamer.

Oprah has something to say about EVERYTHING.

There's not a question in my mind that her silence is intentional.

I'm not talking about "the media". I'm talking about Oprah.

Last edited:

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Everyone has an opinion of MJ, and those opinions are not always glowing and stellar. But what difference does any of that make NOW ? He's gone and the saga that was his bizarre life is over. "Silence is golden".... However, get ready for the Post-death "bizarrity". Like Elvis, Marilyn, John Lennon and others, the legend will live on despite our feelings and opinions.... And masses of people will continue to make money from it.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The legacy of an artist jjkirkwood is an historical thing. That's why it makes a difference now. Additionally this particular death has taken a hold on the world generally. I'm using (if I may) this forum to work out my feelings about how the population treats those it deifies. It's a sort of study in human behavior to me.

Also - yesterday significant other and I had supper with the couple next door here in the city. They happen to be black and heterosexual. The topic quickly came to all this Jackson business and I was particularly interested to have their take as blacks reacting to Jackson's death.

The fellow in this couple is very ... shall we say "macho" and values his masculinity and heterosexuality highly. But in the loveliest way both he and his wife like SO and me very much. We've known them ten years. They call us "family". So I trust what they have to say and they trust what we have to say as our real feelings.

When asked about Jackson Michael (his name happens to be Michael too) immediately reacted overtly to this pedophile accusation business. He said "look <stronzo> this isn't O.J. Simpson we're talking about here. O. J. in my opinon was a guilty as sin. But Jackson was done in by his celebrity".

Now if that's not verbatim it's damned close.

I'm struck by his passion and interest. Michael Jackson in my neighbor's view was responsible for the breaking of many glass ceilings. I listened intently to what neighbor Michael had to say. I left the supper table better educated as to how this early loss has affected the black community specifically.

I tell you this only by way of personal example.

Last edited: