Where's Oprah in all this?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I'll state right off the bat I'm no great fan of Oprah Winfrey. But didn't she have a rather famous interview with Michael Jackson at his ranch back in the 90s??

Can someone(s) kindly tell me why, in the midst of all this unhappy fanfare surrounding the death of Jackson, Winfrey appears to be utterly mute?

She weighs in on every other topic of the day. ... but she's deafeningly silent from what I can tell regarding Jackson's untimely death. Hmmmm...

2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe Gail has her hand over Oprah's mouth!

Maybe Oprah realized she actually made ONE mistake on her show...oh besides that author they found out faked his book.

3. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

lol .... fucking awesome answer HKNYC but I bet it's over another orifice...

4. mattsrod7

Gold Member

Albums:
    She's Oprah, does she need to say anything? haha

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :confused: My guess is that unlike many others she doesn't believe in speaking ill of the dead. :cool: For the sake of clarity: I think that Oprah believes Michael Jackson was guilty of child molestation and/or pedophilia. Since she has nothing nice to say about him, she has chosen to say nothing at all.

Something I wish some other people on this site would learn to do. :angryfire2:

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I'm beginning to think you're exactly right njqt466. She's a pip.

7. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Or Gladys Knight. She really discovered Michael..NOT Diana Ross and neither were there at his service.

8. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I wondered the same thing about Oprah's silence. Wish Al had kept his mouth shut.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

10. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

This is also my guess.

11. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

#11 HellsKitchenmanNYC, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  12. sargon20

Gold Member

Why does she have to say anything? :confused:

#12 sargon20, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  13. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Because it's uncharacteristic of her to have nothing to say about EVERYTHING. She's the resident AMURKUN know-it-all.

This would be top on her list were it not for what njqt said.

14. invisibleman

Gold Member

Well, maybe Oprah is grief striken about Michael Jackson dying. You never know. She will probably do an interview with the Jackson family or something--when the time is appropriate.

15. dreamer20

Gold Member

I guess you'll have to contact Oprah to answer your question. The Jackson family has been sent an overwhelming amount of condolences, with hers quite likely being among them, and the media is already saturated with such comments from celebrities. Presently the media's preoccupation is with speculation about Michael Jackson's death and the findings of California investigators in this regard and not finding a message of condolence from Oprah.

#15 dreamer20, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  16. sargon20

Gold Member

There have been a slew of dead celebrities lately. And she hasn't had anything to say. Why now?

#16 sargon20, Jul 10, 2009
  17. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Maybe Op lives by the golden rule "if you dont have anything nice to say, keep your fuckin mouth shut"...? I'm just sayin.....

18. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

ah .. hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps she's planning a memorial show to Jackson, Karl Malden, Farrah Fawcett, Billy Mays, and Ed McMahon en masse.

My point is that she reveres Sydney Poitier and Maya Angelou (who's curiously been out of most of Oprah's show text over the last few years) almost to a disproportionate reverence. I think both are tremendous individuals who've contributed greatly too.

But certainly Jackson's demise has not escaped her notice.

Her deafening silence says a great deal more (even if she does believe those pedophile charges against him) about her than they do Jackson. Don't forget she used him for all he was worth during her 1990s interview him at his Neverland Ranch.

Oprah reminds me of the late Princess of Wales in this way.

I think both blow hot and cold with people.

While Oprah will coo and bill over a Maria Shriver (because of her quasi-faux connection to this phenomenon known as the Kennedys as "American Royalty") she has - as she did with President Obama - a tremendous forum to bring this thing into perspective. Her talk show and her influence is unquestionably vast.

Again I say 'Where's Oprah in all this'?

You're missing my point dreamer.

Oprah has something to say about EVERYTHING.

There's not a question in my mind that her silence is intentional.

I'm not talking about "the media". I'm talking about Oprah.

#18 B_Stronzo, Jul 10, 2009
  19. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Everyone has an opinion of MJ, and those opinions are not always glowing and stellar. But what difference does any of that make NOW ? He's gone and the saga that was his bizarre life is over. "Silence is golden".... However, get ready for the Post-death "bizarrity". Like Elvis, Marilyn, John Lennon and others, the legend will live on despite our feelings and opinions.... And masses of people will continue to make money from it.

20. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

The legacy of an artist jjkirkwood is an historical thing. That's why it makes a difference now. Additionally this particular death has taken a hold on the world generally. I'm using (if I may) this forum to work out my feelings about how the population treats those it deifies. It's a sort of study in human behavior to me.

Also - yesterday significant other and I had supper with the couple next door here in the city. They happen to be black and heterosexual. The topic quickly came to all this Jackson business and I was particularly interested to have their take as blacks reacting to Jackson's death.

The fellow in this couple is very ... shall we say "macho" and values his masculinity and heterosexuality highly. But in the loveliest way both he and his wife like SO and me very much. We've known them ten years. They call us "family". So I trust what they have to say and they trust what we have to say as our real feelings.

When asked about Jackson Michael (his name happens to be Michael too) immediately reacted overtly to this pedophile accusation business. He said "look <stronzo> this isn't O.J. Simpson we're talking about here. O. J. in my opinon was a guilty as sin. But Jackson was done in by his celebrity".

Now if that's not verbatim it's damned close.

I'm struck by his passion and interest. Michael Jackson in my neighbor's view was responsible for the breaking of many glass ceilings. I listened intently to what neighbor Michael had to say. I left the supper table better educated as to how this early loss has affected the black community specifically.

I tell you this only by way of personal example.

#20 B_Stronzo, Jul 10, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted