Where's The Burn?

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Here's something I've wondered about. My chest never feels strained after chest exercises, whether it's bench or pushups. I feel it in my shoulders, arms, but have never gotten a burn in the pecs.

Similarly with squats--I feel the whole strain in my hips and back. Never in the quads, hams, or gluteus.

Maybe I'm not hitting weights that are heavy enough? It's been like this for all the years I've lifted.

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It's difficult to opine without a pic of you. @twoton . Are your arms greatly disproportionately small compared to your pecs, thus hindering your ability to control heavy enough weight to work your pecs? Probably your best bet it to reduce the weight, increase the volume as @socalfreak said, and search for that mind-muscle connection. I know it sounds sort of gay, but search the net for video clips that zoom in on guys who are slowly doing reps. Imagine your own muscles as working as the guy's in the video and understand how his muscles work in the lift. Then imagine that it is you in the video, making those perfect set of reps. This has worked for me in understanding the mind- muscle concept. When I finally "got it", my workouts were moved to the next level.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For reference, I’m 6’2” and ~195, 52 y.o.
I’m working on 5x5 bench @ 210. I can almost do 5 sets of 3 @ 225

For squat, I can do 5x5 @ 250 but that’s a little too much. My 1RM is probably 275.

On deads, I can do 5x5 @ 285. Used to get 5x5 @ 385 with no problem but I one day I hit my 1RM goal of 425 and lost motivation and quit deadlifting for a long time. And then hurt my back.

So I guess I start mixing in some volume training.

You may just have naturally strong chest and legs. I am like that. I got some advice from a trainer and I now do one day of just leg exercises and one of chest (as well as back and shoulders on other days with arms mixed in).

Each day, I now do several different exercises for that body part and that does stress the muscles. I make sure to keep up the pace between sets. I don’t do 5x5. It’s 3x12 or 3x15. As soon as an exercise starts to feel easy, I increase the weight or reps.

So, I would suggest getting a trainer to provide advice and tailor a new plan to you.

Reactions: twoton

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
Here's something I've wondered about. My chest never feels strained after chest exercises, whether it's bench or pushups. I feel it in my shoulders, arms, but have never gotten a burn in the pecs.

Similarly with squats--I feel the whole strain in my hips and back. Never in the quads, hams, or gluteus.

Maybe I'm not hitting weights that are heavy enough? It's been like this for all the years I've lifted.

Ok...well first think....not sure what goals are....but if it just to hit big steel or atheletic performance....well then....who cares

But if your trying to look good....we'll....the jury is out of soreness or burn actually cause growth

Now personally.....front squats and cleanjerks hit my quads way more than back squats

Try this one sample training thing and you might be shocked at how much it hits quads

Load up an Olympic bar with 25lbs on each side

Set timer to go off every minute (or just watch a clock with a second hand)

When you hear buzzer.....
Do 5 high pulls......do 4 sets.....make sure your doing the set every time you got the minute mark.....

Next time the buzzer hits minute mark
Do 5 cleans.....Try real hard to swoop under the bar....as opposed to just just yanking it up with arms....when you catch your ass should almost hit the floor

Do 4 sets of these

Now do 5 reps of front squats....4sets.....again your ass should be almost hitting the floor

4 sets

Now do jerks....5 reps 4 sets

So this whole workout part should take you 16 minutes to do 16 sets

After this rest 3 minutes and do my clean and jerk at 90 percent.....

This is workout I got from my Russian family.....I can clean and jerk about 280 or soooo....not amazing but pretty good.....

I guarantee you will feel the burn in thighs 3 sets into the ass to floor cleans

Give it a try.....and besides if it don't feel it in thighs....well you only lost 20 minutes

Reactions: DSF140 and twoton

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

I'm with Socal on cables for pecs. I bench HEAVY and seldom feel particularly sore after the fact. Higher reps with lower weight on cables, though... Woah. As for squats... Again... Lighter weight/higher reps. I'm WAY more powerlifter than bodybuilder. Socal calls me "Buck Savage" and says I lift like a 20 year old boy because I like to pick up heavy shit. That being said... Reps = burn. I did 100 reps with 10 lb dumbbells for my last set of biceps 4 days ago and my biceps are still cooked. If you're looking for glute work, though... Squats aren't it. Deadlifts and/or hip thrusts are the way to go. Squats are MUCH more quad centered than glute.