Where's WMD?

7x6andchg: You know - I'll admit to leaning to the left - but it isn't Bush that scares me - it's Wolfowitz and Company...

7x6&C

ETA: being leaning is not grammatically correct.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You mean other than chemicals they poured into the Euphrates?

Patience must not be your strong point, jonb.

7x6andchg: For what it's worth I put more stock in the BBC than in any of our networks, solely because of the funding behind it.

BBC is funded from British TV licenses...that's right our British friends have to PAY to just have a TV..and/or a radio, I believe.

CBS - owned by Viacom
NBC/CNBC/MSNBC - GE and (gasp) Microsoft
ABC - Disney

What saddens me is that the US is becoming a country by the corporations, for the corporations, and of the corporations (and somewhere Abe Lincoln is rolling in his grave at THAT little paraphrase)...even within my relatively short lifetime. :(

I truly feel that a truly independent medium can not be connected to higher corporate interests but should instead be accountable to the viewers/listeners. Woe the FCC for their recent decision... :-/

my $0.02

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Where?

Under tons of bulldozed sand?

Hiding in the neighboring Syria?

Boxed up in Abdul's Self Storage #3?

Or perhaps behind false walls in palaces, under a simple homemaker's dirt floor or even within the walls of mosques all over the country.

Regardless, it's only been a few weeks since the country was invaded for goodness sake!

Just be patient, friends. The big bad wolf is gone. We'll find the objects of his nightmarish schemes sooner or later.

Pecker

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Patience must not be your strong point, jonb.
No, I just don't think the phrase "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is sufficient raeason to invade another country. Especially when the US has more WMD than any other country.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
but suppose Wolfowitz does know what he is talking about....after all he was an insider in the iraqi decision process....i think he makes the case that this was a war of agression....and not a preemptive strike.

jay

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1054693321;start=0#5 date=06/04/03 at 15:06:27]
Especially when the US has more WMD than any other country.[/quote]

I can see exactly what you mean, just like Saddam Hussien did to the Kurds, when the people in Hollywood and San Francisco dissented President Bush set off some chemical weapons at them.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=nlatimer link=board=99;num=1054693321;start=0#7 date=06/04/03 at 19:30:12]

I can see exactly what you mean, just like Saddam Hussien did to the Kurds, when the people in Hollywood and San Francisco dissented President Bush set off some chemical weapons at them.[/quote]
No, but the US has used WMD before; in fact, during the first Gulf War, they field-tested depleted uranium (which is essentially Hiroshima Lite). They refuse to remove mines, even from wars that have been over for decades. And I'm not even going totalk about cluster bombs, which are basically uncharted mine fields.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Many of the survivors of the initial Hiroshima explosion died of shock after drinking water, so does this mean you're dead and we won't have to listen to your imperialist, fascist spewings anymore?

7x6andchg: Gentlemen, Gentlemen...

It is true that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. To pretend that we, as citizens, are told everything our government does or thinks, even as open as our society is (relatively speaking), is ridiculous.

No, they have not, to date, found any WMD in Iraq. As Pecker points out, this may be due to the fact that we haven't really had time to find it yet. It may have been shipped overseas. There may not have been any to begin with. WE DON'T KNOW.

That said, this is turning into a political name-calling fest. I think we can discuss a policy of agression versus pre-emption without lambasting each other.

Personally speaking, I lean towards agression - from the beginning to me this seemed to be a "cause celebre" for this administration. I say seemed because I don't honestly know, I just know the feeling I get from the press secretary and policy wonks on the payroll at 1600 Penn. Ave NW...and Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and Co seem rather...hawkish to me.

Again, my opinion, and my opinion alone - no facts here.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oh I know just how imperialist my spewings are, especially since we attacked Japan to take it over, not because they attacked us first.

My point, mayhap it was too subtle, was that I didn't know what exactly you meant by Hiroshima Lite. I didn't think they started making mini-nuclear bombs.

But we didn't find Eric Rudolph til recently, and he aledgedly bombed Atlanta back in 1996. Still we found him, and we will find the WMDs. These things take time, but in a world of e-mail, instant coffee, and 15-minute oil changes, I can see where you've become impatient.

mindseye: http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20030606.html

John W. Dean held the office of White House Counsel for Richard Nixon in the 1970's. (What an interesting job that had to be!)

He wrote the excellent article linked above -- backed up with verifiable sources (ahem!) -- suggesting that time may be running out for these alleged WMD's to turn up.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mindseye..

provocative link.

it is certain to get some juices flowing, and for reasons of health, it probably should not be read by rabid bushies.

jay