Which artists' work do you NOT like?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Which artists' work do you NOT like?

I only like Picasso prior to his blue period. When his people still looked like people and not a bad acid trip.

I could honestly live without ever seeing again the works of Rothko, Pollock, Georgia O'Keefe - mostly a buncha big damned flowers in the desert . . oh please! Jean-Michel Basquiat - I'm sorry he died so young. He may have actually learned how to paint if he had lived longer.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Probably could think of many I didn't like. Klee immediately comes to mind. Didn't like anything from the Medieval or Gothic periods either (already mentioned Impressionism does nothing for me). And hated Bob Kane's Batman (the artwork if not the character).

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thomas Kincade, The Painter of Light™ :rolleyes:

Wyland (the Whale mural guy, it's all marketing, smoke and mirrors with him)

I'm just talking about contemporary artists here.....kinda groggy, need to go sleep on it. :rolleyes:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thomas Kincade, The Painter of Light™ :rolleyes: I hate that low rent hack! I hate that people get conned into spending hundreds of dollars on his stuff at the mall, because it matches the sofa. ATTN: Real Art Does Not Match The Sofa, It Touches Your Heart.

Wyland (the Whale mural guy, it's all marketing, smoke and mirrors with him) He doesn't bother me as I don't consider him to be a real artist. :tongue: njqt466 ducks and covers and waits for the first tomato to be thrown her way

Margaret Keane - Vapid subject matter and high school drawing class draftsmanship infected with the incessant maudlin motif of giant bug eyes. That this treacley trailer park stuff managed to reach the heights of popularity is without doubt the number one reasons America is considered to be tasteless.

anewwebpage2.jpg

Morris Katz - Toilet paper and a trowel. That's what he uses to allegedly, "paint," with. Famed as, "The world's fastest artist," Katz has been known to paint just about anything in only a few minutes. Katz's paintings remind me of another activity that also lasts a few minutes and requires toilet paper. Perhaps these tools in greater hands would be worthy if it wasn't for Katz's singluar lack of insight into every subject he mangles.

CMDRnCHIEFS.gif

Thomas Kincade - King of the Hi-Liter school of motel art, Kincade's efforts span a wide range of subject matter from the quaint to the saccharine to the sanctimoniously precious. I suspect he was one of those kids who hung out in Helen Gallagher back in the 70s staring at the black light head posters after smoking a joint in the parking lot with his friends. That he's managed to create a marketing juggernaut peddling mediocrity should give every school board in the country reason to restore art to public education.

His Prince of Peace resembles Sauron wearing the Helm of Many Forks:
UC1412%20Sauron.jpg

prince_peace.jpg

Peter Max - A classic case of the one-trick pony who couldn't evolve beyond his stable. What once was fresh 40 years ago has become unbearably tiresome with his current work more resembling Technicolor vomit brought-up from eating bad mushrooms. Pretty vibrant colors are no substitute for the artistic insight Max long ago seems to have surrendered to LSD.

11009.jpg

Helen Frankenthaler - Blobs and lines soaked into canvas and given a title for the effort as if the title could erase the fact that Frankenthaler could never truly free herself to evoke the passion necessary to be an abstract expressionist. Notable only for her invention of post painterly abstraction, her work is routinely surpassed by artists half her caliber.

800px-Frankenthaler_Helen_Mountains_and_Sea_1952.jpg

John Currin - The flavour de jour mixes Katz's technique with lurid adolescent subject matter creating a singluarly banal suite of work which includes such wonders as a nude portrait of Bea Arthur. Currin's defenders cite his excellent draftsmanship and composition. These talents he does have but in the rarified air which Currin's reputation now enjoys, shouldn't he? Currin's work runs from the ridiculous to the disturbing: frequently venturing into the misogynistic without illuminating the genius of his impulse.

John_Currin__The_Bra_Shop_1997a.jpg

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not keen on a lot of artist's work, a lot of Picasso's, Warhol's, kandinsky, I could go on and on, to me a work of art should have beauty as it's primary feature.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't know their names, but seriously, dude, those caveman painters need some art lessons!

:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Just kidding.

I don't know of any artist that I truly didn't like. It's fascinating to me to try to perceive what they're "saying" and why. Wharhol was cool in his day. He got over-marketed and over-represented, which is something that happens to many things (like every Disney movie until we're sick of it).

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wyland (the Whale mural guy, it's all marketing, smoke and mirrors with him) He doesn't bother me as I don't consider him to be a real artist. :tongue: njqt466 ducks and covers and waits for the first tomato to be thrown her way

Naaah, I'll pass you a plate of nice tomato slices with mozzarella cheese and basil. :tongue:

Wyland came from my area, just a surf bum livng in a van. He started doing airbrush stuff, and was in the right place at the right time. Did a Mural known as "The Whaling Wall" in Laguna Beach, it met with resistance, and he finally got enough support to do it, while not making friends with the city (or its uber stringent "Design Review Board" :rolleyes: ). Of course that was all used as marketing in his developing career, as if he was some bigtime naturalist that spoke for the whales. He's basically made this soft spot of a subject amongst the general public (*cough* PT Barnum *cough*) his very lucrative career, and as a career artist AND a human being, I can't besmirch him that at all....but, being in the same town (Laguna Beach is a place I always considered a cross between Twin Peaks and Mayberry), the Wyland success machine became its own ugly monster, with worshipping and adulating fans, and a super ego that went unchecked. It's really none of my business, something I practiced very hard at when I was in town and had my studio....the business of art is as cutthroat as any other, and I made a few friends in it, enough to have connects when I go back into full swing (after being gone for almost 10 years; mind you, I'm no household name, but I was successful ---on paper, anyways---- and have a few hundred originals out there, and people wanting to buy/sell my stuff again, if I just get my ass moving! :eek: ) The problem with art as a business is that it becomes just that, business first, art second.

I'm not big on Picasso, but I respect his work. Kandinsky, Pollock, the same. Klee's work I like a great deal. Basquiat I'm on the fence.

Warhol was brilliant. The entire point of his existence was to be famous, to turn popular culture in on itself to reveal things about ourselves. The execution of the work wasn't as important as the subject matter itself. He simultaneously loved and hated the American culture he saw slipping into hollow, media-driven sensationalism. That his work became exceptionally popular with the very cultural leaders he seeked to critique made his work all the more ironic.

As good a summary of the Wyland art machine as I've ever seen. Wyland's the "Yanni" of art.

He's hosting a great white shark dive in two weeks... I wonder how hungry sharks are this time of year?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There is a lot more art and architecture from about a century ago that I am moved by than since.

Something like Pollack, I am sure that he had an interesting time exploring doing what he did. When I was an art student, I used to smoke a bit of pot and explore the interesting effects of gravity on semi liquid candle wax, I still have the results around in a box somewhere. Looks like a stalagmite from carlsbad.
Another thing I enjoyed was dripping ink on paper and blowing it around with a straw. I made a few etchings this way.