Which Brand of Speedo-Style Suit is the Most Durable?

Which Brand of Speedo-Style Swimwear is the Most Durable?

• Nike

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • TYR

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Speedo

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • AussieBum

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • TruWest

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • OTHER (Please comment to let us know which brand!)

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just curious what you guys think is the most durable brand of brief (speedo-style) Swimwear?

My current choice for most durable would probably be Nike, as they seem more durable than Tyr and Speedo Brand suits.

I know there are lots of brands, so if you select Other in the Poll please leave a comment telling us what brand you think is the most durable, and if it is a lesser known brand a web link to a site where there suits can be found would be great!!

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been wearing TYR suits for the past year or so and have found them to be quite durable. More so than Speedo, I would say, from past experience.

Steve

Do you do anything special after you take them off? I've learned that diligently rinsing them in cold water and hanging them to dry, definitely has a big impact on durability.

For a little while I messed with using a chlorine neutralizer solution but it because too much of a hassle, so now I just rinse and hang and don't really worry about it that much.

I haven't bought any new speedo brand speedos recently so can't comment on current durability but I've always found them to be a MUCH tighter fit than other brands, and to not be as durable, which could be from the extra tightness since the constant stretch can wear out the fabric extra quickly, though on the other hand I've found that wearing a suit too big can also negatively impact durability as the water gets in the back of the suit and is forced through the back panel, instead of over the top of the suit if its properly sized.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Do you do anything special after you take them off? I've learned that diligently rinsing them in cold water and hanging them to dry, definitely has a big impact on durability.

I don't really have a special regimen. I'll usually keep the swimsuit on for the first minute or two of my post-swim shower, as I am washing my hair, so the water can rinse away some of the chlorine. Then after my shower I dry it using one of those swimsuit-drying machines in the locker room (it spins the suit at high speed to extract water).

I agree that Speedos tend to be tighter than other brands, although among Speedos I have found the models with a seam up the middle of the front to be most accommodating. The TYR suits I am wearing now are definitely far more comfortable than most Speedos I have had.

Steve

dickgrafton

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
By far the most durable is the speedo endurance line. I spend 8+ hours a week in a pool working out so the chlorine kills any regular lycra suit in 2 months or so. The endurance ones last forever. Not stylish by any means, but durable.

kai028

Experimental Member
Media
I work at home, so I never really have to get dressed, unless I'm going to a meeting or something, which in only every week or so. I LIVE in my swimsuits! I wear them while I'm working, as underwear, and as sleepwear. I wear them into the shower to clean them off. A bit of soap and a good rinse and then I put them back on, and I go and sit on a towel while I work on the computer. In almost no time, the suit's dry. My suits last two to three years, but in fact, they just get a bit looser, which at times is kind of sexy. I keep them around and wear them, even the old ones, because in various ways, they all turn me on.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
What kind of wear and tear do you expect to put on those things anyway?

In a Speedo context, "durable" refers to how well the fabric resists the ravages of chlorine. Most public pools are very heavily chlorinated (as they should be!) and as a previous poster mentioned, those kinds of chlorine levels eat most fabrics alive.

You ought to be choosing your speedo for fit, not label size. then it doesn't make any difference. I only buy a suit after trying it on.

Agreed ... I don't wear any brand suit in my actual waist size. What I meant is that the Speedo fabric, in my experience, tends to be taut and unyielding ... there is very little "give" to it. I prefer the TYR fabric in this regard.

Steve

Last edited: