which city is suitable for asian gay in Australia?

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
im from southeast asia had a plan to take master degree in Australia, but as a gay/bi asian men which city is safer or preferable or is there any up and down between the cities?

my personaility : very introvert but if i have a close friend i comfortable with, i like to go to club, party, drunk , etc

objective : take a master degree, work around 2-3 years on office work and take permanent residence visa(if its possible) because in my country lgbt is not acceptable

my primary option :perth, Adelaide and Brisbane (as i heard its more easier to got permanent residence)

my secondary option : Melbourne

my last option : Sydney

i heard melbourne n sydney is too crowded already and more difficult to propose a permanent residence visa

jaybee0560

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
im from southeast asia had a plan to take master degree in Australia, but as a gay/bi asian men which city is safer or preferable or is there any up and down between the cities?

my personaility : very introvert but if i have a close friend i comfortable with, i like to go to club, party, drunk , etc

objective : take a master degree, work around 2-3 years on office work and take permanent residence visa(if its possible) because in my country lgbt is not acceptable

my primary option :perth, Adelaide and Brisbane (as i heard its more easier to got permanent residence)

my secondary option : Melbourne

my last option : Sydney

i heard melbourne n sydney is too crowded already and more difficult to propose a permanent residence visa
No idea about the visa considerations.
Hard to give any meaningful suggestions without knowing your personal preferences.
Melb and Syd are definately the most expensive, Sydney being significantly more expensive to buy a house in than Melb.
But they are also the biggest cities so - more night life, bigger gay scenes, more opportunities to get into a group for your clique.
All of our capitals are nice places tho - all pretty diverse.. The smaller cities are probably more laid back in terms of pace and lifestyle, I'd say all are pretty accepting of LGBTQ stuff but - you're more likely to find a bigger community in Melb and Syd just based on Size.
My exec summary tho is -
Perth is nice - but small, and fucking remote.
Brisbane is growing, probably got a younger person feel to it than the other capitals. Tropical, pretty vibrant but still suffers a little from being not quite big enuff to sustain the night life of Melb and Syd.
not expensive to buy in but - not cheap.
Adelaide -nice enuff - very pretty but - I find it very sleepy. Very affordable and some amazing properties on some really nice beaches that are not super exy ..
Melb - Very big, expensive but cheaper than Syd. Amazing food/bar scene - Big gay scene as well. Weather is all over the place.
Sydney -Huge city - awful traffic. Super expensive, Good food scene, huge gay districts, great close beaches - sub tropic so - if you like humidity - its great.

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
No idea about the visa considerations.
Hard to give any meaningful suggestions without knowing your personal preferences.
Melb and Syd are definately the most expensive, Sydney being significantly more expensive to buy a house in than Melb.
But they are also the biggest cities so - more night life, bigger gay scenes, more opportunities to get into a group for your clique.
All of our capitals are nice places tho - all pretty diverse.. The smaller cities are probably more laid back in terms of pace and lifestyle, I'd say all are pretty accepting of LGBTQ stuff but - you're more likely to find a bigger community in Melb and Syd just based on Size.
My exec summary tho is -
Perth is nice - but small, and fucking remote.
Brisbane is growing, probably got a younger person feel to it than the other capitals. Tropical, pretty vibrant but still suffers a little from being not quite big enuff to sustain the night life of Melb and Syd.
not expensive to buy in but - not cheap.
Adelaide -nice enuff - very pretty but - I find it very sleepy. Very affordable and some amazing properties on some really nice beaches that are not super exy ..
Melb - Very big, expensive but cheaper than Syd. Amazing food/bar scene - Big gay scene as well. Weather is all over the place.
Sydney -Huge city - awful traffic. Super expensive, Good food scene, huge gay districts, great close beaches - sub tropic so - if you like humidity - its great.
woww u very explained very simple thanks a lot!

how about the weather? because i heard perth is have a long summer? tbh i dont like heat very much

and what do you mean about brisbane? u mean there is a lot younger guys in brisbane than other city? amd suffer? like there is not nightlife or brisbane have one but not many of it?

and perth is remote? like flexible and acces transportaion is easy u mean?

Reactions: Homelover

jaybee0560

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
woww u very explained very simple thanks a lot!

how about the weather? because i heard perth is have a long summer? tbh i dont like heat very much

and what do you mean about brisbane? u mean there is a lot younger guys in brisbane than other city? amd suffer? like there is not nightlife or brisbane have one but not many of it?

and perth is remote? like flexible and acces transportaion is easy u mean?
No problem bud

Perth - has hot summers but there is a cool breeze that kicks in pretty reliably every afternoon called the freo doctor that makes it more bearable. Aside from that - its a bit warmer than the other southern cities but - def has a winter.
Brisbane - I just get the feeling that the pop is a bit younger there - its a city that grew quickly pretty recently so - loads of families and people looking for a seachange moved up - which to me, gives me the impression the pop is younger.
Perth is like remote in a way that can only really be understood if you live here. All of our cities are far away from each othere without a lot of people in between like most countries. But Perth is something else. Its about 2000 kms away from its nearest neighbour capital city (Adelaide) - Getting around Perth is fine - getting away from Perth is a big deal.

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have many friends from Australia and have been to most of the ones you mentioned many times. Perth and Adelaide are quite remote. Perth has the advantage of flying to and from south East Asia quickly.

Adelaide gets very hot in summer and very cold in winter. It's more like a country town than a city. Good for wineries, farmers markets and a slow pace of living. I found everything shuts earlier there than the eastern cities.

Brisbane is subtropical so is the most warm and humid than the others. The gays there tend to be very clichey so can be difficult to make friends. It's a nice city. Pretty but lacks the beaches of the other cities unless you want to drive a long way.

Sydney and Melbourne have bigger Asian communities as well as gay. Cost is the big killer, especially as a student. Rent isn't cheap, sharing is your best option.

Sydney is probably the most gay with many gay neighbourhoods.

Melbourne is the often cold and wet. But is good for theatre/arts and cafe culture. Very sports oriented.

Of the five, given your preferences I would say Brisbane. It's not the best of anything but it's not the worst either. But that's just my opinion.

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have many friends from Australia and have been to most of the ones you mentioned many times. Perth and Adelaide are quite remote. Perth has the advantage of flying to and from south East Asia quickly.

Adelaide gets very hot in summer and very cold in winter. It's more like a country town than a city. Good for wineries, farmers markets and a slow pace of living. I found everything shuts earlier there than the eastern cities.

Brisbane is subtropical so is the most warm and humid than the others. The gays there tend to be very clichey so can be difficult to make friends. It's a nice city. Pretty but lacks the beaches of the other cities unless you want to drive a long way.

Sydney and Melbourne have bigger Asian communities as well as gay. Cost is the big killer, especially as a student. Rent isn't cheap, sharing is your best option.

Sydney is probably the most gay with many gay neighbourhoods.

Melbourne is the often cold and wet. But is good for theatre/arts and cafe culture. Very sports oriented.

Of the five, given your preferences I would say Brisbane. It's not the best of anything but it's not the worst either. But that's just my opinion.
do all that five city i mention has snow when winter? tbh i dont like summer that too hot. and i like a night club (if i have time) so far from all info i got, i most intrested to brisbane but when u tell me many cliche gay im kind aafraid because tbh im kinda slow when make a friend lol

jaybee0560

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
N
do all that five city i mention has snow when winter? tbh i dont like summer that too hot. and i like a night club (if i have time) so far from all info i got, i most intrested to brisbane but when u tell me many cliche gay im kind aafraid because tbh im kinda slow when make a friend lol
It doesn't snow on the ground in any of the actual cities in Australia. It snows in the mountains in NSW and VIC during winter where there are ski fields but - winters don't get that cold compared to most of the world in any of those cities you mentioned. Melb may get down to 0c overnight. It would be rare for Syd to do that. Perth - not a chance of snow.

In terms of making friends - there are plenty of groups you can join/ I had a friend move here from China who moved to Melbourne and joined some Gay Asians new to Melb group. Couldn't tell you the details but my point is - the bigger the city, the more opportunity for this sort of group.

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would just focus on making friends within your class. That should be easy. In that way you won't be lonely.

When you are looking for sex, that should be easy enough on apps.

Briisbane won't be as humid or hot as say Indonesia. You can google the average temperature through the year to compare.

I would focus on study and getting residency first and once you have that, then you can always move later on. You can do short holidays to the other cities at that point and see for yourself if you like somewhere else.

The gay areas of Brisbane like many gay areas tend to be a bit more expensive to rent. Try to live as close to these areas as possible.

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I would just focus on making friends within your class. That should be easy. In that way you won't be lonely.

When you are looking for sex, that should be easy enough on apps.

Briisbane won't be as humid or hot as say Indonesia. You can google the average temperature through the year to compare.

I would focus on study and getting residency first and once you have that, then you can always move later on. You can do short holidays to the other cities at that point and see for yourself if you like somewhere else.

The gay areas of Brisbane like many gay areas tend to be a bit more expensive to rent. Try to live as close to these areas as possible.
what do you mean by, gay areas of brisbane is more expensive? is there any reason?

if it close to gay area is more expensive, should i choose other city that far from gay area for cheaper?

and Brisbane didnt have a beach? is it true?

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
N

It doesn't snow on the ground in any of the actual cities in Australia. It snows in the mountains in NSW and VIC during winter where there are ski fields but - winters don't get that cold compared to most of the world in any of those cities you mentioned. Melb may get down to 0c overnight. It would be rare for Syd to do that. Perth - not a chance of snow.

In terms of making friends - there are plenty of groups you can join/ I had a friend move here from China who moved to Melbourne and joined some Gay Asians new to Melb group. Couldn't tell you the details but my point is - the bigger the city, the more opportunity for this sort of group.
how about hiking area? is there any specific cities that have many hiking spot?

roseroserose

Legendary Member
Media
what do you mean by, gay areas of brisbane is more expensive? is there any reason?

if it close to gay area is more expensive, should i choose other city that far from gay area for cheaper?

and Brisbane didnt have a beach? is it true?
In fact most gay areas in Oz tend to be expensive. Gay community in Aus tend to live towards inner city for some reason and hence the housing/ living expenses is going to be higher than inner suburbs.

Hot Summer is inevitable regardless where you live. 42°C during Summertime is not unheard of. Generally, NSW, SA, southern WA VIC, ACT, TAS has colder Winter than QLD, Northern WA or NT.

Like what others said Syd & Mel has higher gay population also has higher number of immigrants. Syd CBD has a high concentration of Asian population that it feels like you are in HongKong rather than Australia, lol.

Reactions: Benjamin VT

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
In fact most gay areas in Oz tend to be expensive. Gay community in Aus tend to live towards inner city for some reason and hence the housing/ living expenses is going to be higher than inner suburbs.

Hot Summer is inevitable regardless where you live. 42°C during Summertime is not unheard of. Generally, NSW, SA, southern WA VIC, ACT, TAS has colder Winter than QLD, Northern WA or NT.

Like what others said Syd & Mel has higher gay population also has higher number of immigrants. Syd CBD has a high concentration of Asian population that it feels like you are in HongKong rather than Australia, lol.
okay if we exclude syndey and melbourne, which city is better between adelaide, and Brisbane, Perth

better in such : student friendly, cost of living, part time salary, chance to work in office when graduate from master, night club, hiking spot, less racists and discriminate toward lgbt n asian.

sorry if asking too much

jaybee0560

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
okay if we exclude syndey and melbourne, which city is better between adelaide, and Brisbane, Perth

better in such : student friendly, cost of living, part time salary, chance to work in office when graduate from master, night club, hiking spot, less racists and discriminate toward lgbt n asian.

sorry if asking too much
To your first question - Literally every city in Australia is going to have good hiking spots.
Obviously - if you live in the CBD - then how long you will need to travel to these hiking spots is gonna to be different depending on the size pf the city.

All cities are pretty student friendly.
If you are choosing between Brisbane/ Perth and Adelaide, I'd lean towards Brisbane. Its the biggest of the three. On the east coast so, reasonably easy to get to the rest of the east. Not that expensive.
Pay is not going to change dramatically for entry level work no matter where you are.
Its hard to speak to racism or discrimination really. Generally speaking, people are pretty cool with both being Asian and Gay. Obviously - there are cunts out there but - I personally don't know anyone that would be called either. Not to say you wont run across it at times but - its not the flavour of any of these places.

Reactions: MassageLover

roseroserose

Legendary Member
Media

sorry if asking too much
This is not an easy question.
Every city is student friendly. Adel is prolly a bit cheaper than the other 2, similar part time salary, same chance of graduate work opportunity (ppl in Oz generally don't care about your degree, attitude and experience matter more), bne has more night clubs especially due to proximity to Gold Coast. Dunno about hiking spot. Ppl don't really discriminate in Oz, yes there'll always be dickheads but in general no ppl are not that racist in the big city.

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
To your first question - Literally every city in Australia is going to have good hiking spots.
Obviously - if you live in the CBD - then how long you will need to travel to these hiking spots is gonna to be different depending on the size pf the city.

All cities are pretty student friendly.
If you are choosing between Brisbane/ Perth and Adelaide, I'd lean towards Brisbane. Its the biggest of the three. On the east coast so, reasonably easy to get to the rest of the east. Not that expensive.
Pay is not going to change dramatically for entry level work no matter where you are.
Its hard to speak to racism or discrimination really. Generally speaking, people are pretty cool with both being Asian and Gay. Obviously - there are cunts out there but - I personally don't know anyone that would be called either. Not to say you wont run across it at times but - its not the flavour of any of these places.
how about the transportation, which city is more easy to access?

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
This is not an easy question.
Every city is student friendly. Adel is prolly a bit cheaper than the other 2, similar part time salary, same chance of graduate work opportunity (ppl in Oz generally don't care about your degree, attitude and experience matter more), bne has more night clubs especially due to proximity to Gold Coast. Dunno about hiking spot. Ppl don't really discriminate in Oz, yes there'll always be dickheads but in general no ppl are not that racist in the big city.
hmm i see, i often heard that Brisbane is the boring city in Australia, is it true?

jaybee0560

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
how about the transportation, which city is more easy to access?
There's trains and busses, taxi's, ubers - all that. The net work is no where near as extensive in either of these cities as it is in Melb and Syd - but they are also much smaller cities so - access to the city and around is fine.
Whether Brisbane is borning or not is very much going to depend on how you feel about what's on offer.
I don't think its boring. I live in Melb and its got nothing on whats on offer here in terms of variety and quantity of night life - But, its a bigger city and tends to have something on all the time.
Brisbane has plenty of bars - it's not far from Surfers Paradise which has loads of clubs - mostly tourists but - it kicks on.
My issue with Brisbane is that there's not much going on early week But late week and weekends there is plenty. Just not at the same level as Melb and Syd.
If I were you - I'd be looking bigger picture - the universities in Melb and Syd are the biggest with the best rep in the country. There are going to be far more post grad work opportunities in the bigger cities.
Its obviously gonna be more expensive but - if you're renting - its not going to be a massive difference.
Food/petrol/ all the normal running costs of life are much the same everywhere.
Brisbane has the hottest all year round weather of all the cities you listed. Melb has the coolest but - the summers here can be hotter than Sydney, just not as humid - and Brisbane is going to be more humid than syd.

Reactions: roseroserose

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There's trains and busses, taxi's, ubers - all that. The net work is no where near as extensive in either of these cities as it is in Melb and Syd - but they are also much smaller cities so - access to the city and around is fine.
Whether Brisbane is borning or not is very much going to depend on how you feel about what's on offer.
I don't think its boring. I live in Melb and its got nothing on whats on offer here in terms of variety and quantity of night life - But, its a bigger city and tends to have something on all the time.
Brisbane has plenty of bars - it's not far from Surfers Paradise which has loads of clubs - mostly tourists but - it kicks on.
My issue with Brisbane is that there's not much going on early week But late week and weekends there is plenty. Just not at the same level as Melb and Syd.
If I were you - I'd be looking bigger picture - the universities in Melb and Syd are the biggest with the best rep in the country. There are going to be far more post grad work opportunities in the bigger cities.
Its obviously gonna be more expensive but - if you're renting - its not going to be a massive difference.
Food/petrol/ all the normal running costs of life are much the same everywhere.
Brisbane has the hottest all year round weather of all the cities you listed. Melb has the coolest but - the summers here can be hotter than Sydney, just not as humid - and Brisbane is going to be more humid than syd.
yeah my consideration not taking sydney n melbourne because i heard it easier apply permanent residence visa in small city like adelaide, perth and brisbane instead of melbourne n sydney, sofar i had my eyes on Brisbane, and i need still research about what the downside of brisbane before i decide it. thankyou for your detailing explantion

roseroserose

Legendary Member
Media
yeah my consideration not taking sydney n melbourne because i heard it easier apply permanent residence visa in small city like adelaide, perth and brisbane instead of melbourne n sydney, sofar i had my eyes on Brisbane, and i need still research about what the downside of brisbane before i decide it. thankyou for your detailing explantion
You are going to study master first when you arrive here anyway. Applying for PR can only be done when you have a FT job. They are two very different thing, and you you don't have to be in the same city for both of them.
You can start in one city then go apply for jobs in another city. Your choice is not limited to what you pick on your arrival. Just pick one now. When you are here, visit other cities, then when you are ready, move.
We can explain all in details but in the end of the day it is all depend on what you are vibing with.

Brianhalim

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
You are going to study master first when you arrive here anyway. Applying for PR can only be done when you have a FT job. They are two very different thing, and you you don't have to be in the same city for both of them.
You can start in one city then go apply for jobs in another city. Your choice is not limited to what you pick on your arrival. Just pick one now. When you are here, visit other cities, then when you are ready, move.
We can explain all in details but in the end of the day it is all depend on what you are vibing with.
yeah u right maybe i just thinking too far, but maybe i just need to think the first 2 years while taking master degree + i want to have a part time job also in first 2 years while i studying master. yes u right i just searching for additional info to matching up with my personality. i guess thats it, thankyou very much!