Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had a feeling that question would generate some preaching. I've used them every once and a while for years Cosmosmariner. Like anything you take into your body, be smart. Don't go crazy with it, take care not to spill it or tilt some into your nose and...please don't drink it. :wink:

Poppers are hardly as detrimental to your body as many other drugs. That link given is about right and not very frightening. I know people who experience a headache after too many sniffs but you have to try it and see for yourself. Most of the brands you buy at any sex shop are pretty similar. Ask the person at the counter which brand is the most asked for by others. Rush is a very popular brand.

Try it...the sensation is extremely intense and heightens all bodily sensations for about a minute. If you don't like the feeling they give you then, needless to say, don't continue doing them...easy.

Have fun :smile:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I had a feeling that question would generate some preaching. I've used them every once and a while for years Cosmosmariner. Like anything you take into your body, be smart. Don't go crazy with it, take care not to spill it or tilt some into your nose and...please don't drink it. :wink:

Poppers are hardly as detrimental to your body as many other drugs. That link given is about right and not very frightening. I know people who experience a headache after too many sniffs but you have to try it and see for yourself. Most of the brands you buy at any sex shop are pretty similar. Ask the person at the counter which brand is the most asked for by others. Rush is a very popular brand.

Try it...the sensation is extremely intense and heightens all bodily sensations for about a minute. If you don't like the feeling they give you then, needless to say, don't continue doing them...easy.

I don't thing that offering a personal opinion and a caution, along with a link to what you agree is balanced objective information, quite qualifies as "preaching".

I am no Pollyana purist where recreational drugs are concerned myself, though with maturity I tend to steer clear of introducing potentially harmful chemicals into my body and brain for a momentary "rush". Hell, I avoid introducing harmful chemicals into my body in the food I eat, but as I said, "that's just me".

Fortunately for me, I don't seem to have an addictive personality and am able to set aside substances at will. (Not to mention that inhalants seriously fuck with my nasal membranes.) I have many friends and acquaintances who are not so wired, and have developed dependences on a wide variety of drugs. Quite a few of them have tragically gone completely down the tubes.

I have also had plenty of sexual encounters with popper users who are continually interrupting the proceedings to take another sniff, becoming increasingly distracted and sketchy - most unsexy, IMHO. There are plenty of people in my experience who can't function and have a satisfying sexual experience without this chemical enhancement. I avoid them, but as I said, "that's just me".

It's not necessarily "easy" for everybody to just set things aside. You say "if you don't like the feeling", which misses the point. Plenty of people very much like the feeling of euphoria, and would therefore be inclined to continue, whether or not it's ultimately a good thing. I am also of the opinion that the casual use of poppers can easily lead to experimentation with much more addictive and dangerous substances, and I've seen plenty of examples of that as well.

You may call this "preaching" if you like, but there is nothing moralistic in what I said, far from it. It is my opinion based on personal experience and research. Whatever value someone chooses to attach to it is immaterial to me. Whatever you and the OP decide to do is entirely your business.

As I said:
The kind that doesn't fuck up your brain and/or your body.

I've only got one of each, and I like to take care of them.

But that's just me.

Poppers

Last edited:

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't thing that offering a personal opinion and a caution, along with a link to what you agree is balanced objective information, quite qualifies as "preaching".

I am no Pollyana purist where recreational drugs are concerned myself, though with maturity I tend to steer clear of introducing potentially harmful chemicals into my body and brain for a momentary "rush". Hell, I avoid introducing harmful chemicals into my body in the food I eat, but as I said, "that's just me".

Fortunately for me, I don't seem to have an addictive personality and am able to set aside substances at will. (Not to mention that inhalants seriously fuck with my nasal membranes.) I have many friends and acquaintances who are not so wired, and have developed dependences on a wide variety of drugs. Quite a few of them have tragically gone completely down the tubes.

I have also had plenty of sexual encounters with popper users who are continually interrupting the proceedings to take another sniff, becoming increasingly distracted and sketchy - most unsexy, IMHO. There are plenty of people in my experience who can't function and have a satisfying sexual experience without this chemical enhancement. I avoid them, but as I said, "that's just me".

It's not necessarily "easy" for everybody to just set things aside. You say "if you don't like the feeling", which misses the point. Plenty of people very much like the feeling of euphoria, and would therefore be inclined to continue, whether or not it's ultimately a good thing. I am also of the opinion that the casual use of poppers can easily lead to experimentation with much more addictive and dangerous substances, and I've seen plenty of examples of this as well.

You may call this "preaching" if you like, but there is nothing moralistic in what I said, far from it. It is my opinion based on personal experience and research. Whatever value someone chooses to attach to this is immaterial to me. Whatever you and the OP decide to do is entirely your business. As I said:

Nothing you state in your post is "wrong" Max. My post, however, was just to answer the Op's question based on my personal experience and research. I can't possibly know his history, penchant for addiction and strength of self. If he's at all like you and me he will be fine. Anyway...between the two of us I think we've pretty well covered his question.

and I say again (without the hint of sarcasm)

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Nothing you state in your post is "wrong" Max. My post, however, was just to answer the Op's question based on my personal experience and research. I can't possibly know his history, penchant for addiction and strength of self. If he's at all like you and me he will be fine. Anyway...between the two of us I think we've pretty well covered his question.

and I say again (without the hint of sarcasm)

Nothing you state in your post is "wrong" either, except . . . .

1) You accused me of preaching, which I was not.

2) You cavalierly stated that it's "easy" to stop using a drug. Based on your reponse to my 2nd post, you now acknowledge that is not necessarily the case - that people have varying degrees of susceptibility. That is a good thing to bear in mind, IMHO.

To quote you, as it was for me: "My post was just to answer the Op's question based on my personal experience and research." Apparently my opinion based on my personal experience is not what you wanted to hear. And my purpose in responding to your post was to dispel points 1 & 2 above.

You, as I, are free to think whatever you want. I wouldn't presume you and I have "covered the OP's question" either. Others may have something of value to offer as well.

And I will genuinely say again, without your false assumption of sarcasm, as I said before:

and carry on . . . .

Last edited:

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wrote you a pm, Max, because I don't like hijacking threads and I especially try to avoid getting involved in public spitball fights, which, unfortunately has now occurred here. Seeing as how you were so quick to rebut me publicly but have ignored my pm, while making several more posts, I'm guessing you only engage in public discourse.

So...

I'm sure it matters little to you, but, I truly respect your posts in the politics forum, where the majority of your posts seem to be. Our chat in this thread, however, has gotten a little out of hand. The OP asked what types of poppers there are to choose from and which is the best. I certainly didn't mean to attack you at all, but your reply was preachy. That's wasn't a judgment against you and I'm not sure why it seems to have offended you so much.

I'm a vegetarian. Let's say somebody posted a thread asking what the different cuts of beef one can obtain from a cow are and which one is the best. Now if i was to write a post espousing the evils of eating meat and provided a link backing my opinion I wouldn't be wrong, but I would be stating my moral conviction when it wasn't really asked for, nor what the OP was looking for.

You have every right, of course, to post anything you want, but the guy just wanted to know which poppers he should try if he decides to try them. Sorry if you took my post as a personal attack.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What are poppers?

Sorry, I just saw the link in the second post.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are poppers illegal in the US? The Wikipedia article just says "many Western countries."

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

1) You accused me of preaching, which I was not.

I Googled "define preaching" and your post in this thread came up as the top result. For the love of God, stop trying to force others to accept your opinion as if it was objective fact.

oh and ps... I swear if I see another one of your posts childishly bolded and colored, as if every single word you wrote needed extra emphasis to show that you're really, really serious, I'm putting you on ignore. Goddamn that's fucking annoying to have to read!

BIGDP

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Poppers have never done it for me. They give me a headache and I tend to lose my stiffy.

If you like em and it enhances your experience, more power to you. I'm just not into it.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Since when is having an opinion 'preaching'? The OP wanted advice on the best popper to try and maxcok simply suggested none. If maxcok is 'preaching' then so is Stretch for suggesting that "Jungle Juice is usually a good one"
The OP asked for opinions and advice, that's what he got. It's no different than you telling a friend you want to try something. If your friend thought it was dangerous, they would tell you. It's just friendly advice, the OP doesn't have to take any of it.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I wrote you a pm, Max, because I don't like hijacking threads and I especially try to avoid getting involved in public spitball fights, which, unfortunately has now occurred here. Seeing as how you were so quick to rebut me publicly but have ignored my pm, while making several more posts, I'm guessing you only engage in public discourse.
Honestly, it did seem like a diversion, but that's not why you didn't receive a response.
I hope it will not be too great a surprise for you to learn that I actually have other priorities and other things happening in my life off of this board. Responding immediately to your rather lengthy PM on a subject I had already explained in detail, was not at the top of my agenda. Even here on this board I have neglected correspondence with certain friends, some long delayed, and that has been weighing on me a bit. (Sorry Zos, nwnccpl, midlife, sargon, rubi, nick, and most especially my dear darlin Lynn who I am sooo overdue for, plus half a dozen others I mean to drop at least a quick line, and anybody else I forgot - I'll catch up to you when I get the chance, I promise.)

Nevertheless, it was my intention to respond to you late last night, when hopefully I would have the time, attention and focus to give a proper thoughtful response. As you have instead elected to reopen the discussion in open forum, I am now obliged to continue with you here instead, and with a much more complicated response. The fact that I have made posts in other threads in the interim is immaterial. There are subjects that interest me and command my attention, and I like to follow a certain flow in the discussion sometimes. The fact that you would interpret this as a snub is silly and presumptuous. The fact that you would check to see if I had posted elsewhere in the meantime even seems a bit obssessive. Again, though I thought it important to respond, you are not my top priority.

As far as hijacking the thread and blowing it out of proportion, that is something you have done. I responded to the OP's question about poppers, and though it might not have been exactly what you wanted to hear, in my mind it is entirely on topic and relevant to the discussion. What, are we all supposed to confine ourselves to a list of brand names? That would be the most boring thread ever. In the annals of straying off topic, this isn't even worth a consideration. If you are tossing spitballs, I am not. I am quite plainly trying to explain what I think is a very simple, easy to understand position, but with increasing frustration. My rebuttals have been confined to refuting your mischaracterization that I have 'preaching' here. As I said from the beginning, and have repeated many times over, "But that's just me." Meaning: this is my opinion, you can decide for yourself.

I'm sure it matters little to you, but, I truly respect your posts in the politics forum, where the majority of your posts seem to be. Our chat in this thread, however, has gotten a little out of hand. The OP asked what types of poppers there are to choose from and which is the best. I certainly didn't mean to attack you at all, but your reply was preachy. That's wasn't a judgment against you and I'm not sure why it seems to have offended you so much.
Saying I'm 'preachy' is a judgement, how could it not be? It's also a mischaracterization. And I was not 'offended', at least not until now. The fact that you persist in interpreting my reply as 'preachy' after I have repeatedly explained my intention is surely wearing on my nerves, and now I am offended. I have been in agreement with you as well in the politics forum on many issues, and if I'm not mistaken, have even acknowledged that. I have appreciated your point of view there - ironically, because like me, you seem to be an independent thinker. That does not mean I will be in agreement with you on all things. I don't march lockstep with anyone, even those I sympathize with. If the chat here has gotten out of hand, I regret to say, I put the onus on you. It is, after all, you who keeps reviving this theme.

I'm a vegetarian. Let's say somebody posted a thread asking what the different cuts of beef one can obtain from a cow are and which one is the best. Now if i was to write a post espousing the evils of eating meat and provided a link backing my opinion I wouldn't be wrong, but I would be stating my moral conviction when it wasn't really asked for, nor what the OP was looking for.
I think you are really stretching here, Stretch. I don't think this is a good analogy at all. I don't know what your reasons are for being a vegetarian, but again, I wasn't moralising at all, I even alluded to my own recreational drug use, and I never said poppers were 'evil'. I only offered my personal perspective and opinion, and offered a link to some information on effects and side effects. It was only after you pushed the subject, that I felt compelled to offer more of my personal experience. By the way, I personally think that poppers have the potential to do more damage than described in that link, but I actually took the time to find one that was more conservative, so as not to appear alarmist.

It is curious to me that you keep insisting on defining the appropriate range of the subject here so narrowly. It is curious to me that you would object so strongly to me offering my personal opinion and the information link. It seems oddly defensive - to be defending the use of poppers (which again, I have not attacked) and not want any pesky side effects or potential problems mentioned. That seems especially odd given your dietary habits. That is not a judgement, just an observation. I am something of a libertine myself, and I happen to be of the opinion that it's healthy to have a little bit of vice in one's life, within balance. I also think it's healthy to know what you're putting in your body and how certain chemicals may effect your brain so you can make an informed decision. Why you object to having that introduced to the discussion seems utterly strange to me.

You have every right, of course, to post anything you want, but the guy just wanted to know which poppers he should try if he decides to try them. Sorry if you took my post as a personal attack.
I didn't, but as you seem uncharacteristically dense on this and refuse to let it go, and now others are picking up on it, now I am feeling under attack. Look, let me try to explain this one last time: I think it's entirely appropriate if someone is going to experiment with a drug that they obviously have little experience with, or understanding of, to offer some unbiased information along with a personal opinion - that it's not necessarily all sunshine and fluffy clouds. What's wrong with someone being sensible and making an informed decision about what they put in their body? Just as you make an informed decision about not eating meat, to borrow your analogy, which now seems quite apt. And poppers are certainly more cause for concern than a slice of prime rib, IMHO.

At no time did I tell him, or you, or anyone else what to do, that would be preaching. I only offered myself as an example of why I don't partake. I don't offer unsolicited advice. I couldn't give a shit what you or anyone else does about this, or anything else for that matter, unless they ask me. You can huff paint, shoot heroin, drink gasoline for all I care. I enjoy interacting with people here, but at the end of the day, we're really just disembodied voices on the internet. Unless someone close to me is doing damage to themselves it is no concern of mine. Like I already said:
You may call this "preaching" if you like, but there is nothing moralistic in what I said, far from it. It is my opinion based on personal experience and research. Whatever value someone chooses to attach to it is immaterial to me. Whatever you and the OP decide to do is entirely your business.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program

If only. But I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I Googled "define preaching" and your post in this thread came up as the top result. For the love of God, stop trying to force others to accept your opinion as if it was objective fact.

oh and ps... I swear if I see another one of your posts childishly bolded and colored, as if every single word you wrote needed extra emphasis to show that you're really, really serious, I'm putting you on ignore. Goddamn that's fucking annoying to have to read!
What the fuck, tallguy?!!

Oh, hang on, let me change typeface so I don't offend your tender sensibilities . . . .

There, is that better? Okay for starters, I don't use that typeface as a childish indulgence, or for extra emphasis, or to show I'm "really, really serious", or out of any sense of self-importance whatsoever. This seems more than a little ironic coming from someone as outspoken, forward, even overbearing as yourself - someone I generally agree with by the way, as you well know. Someone I have been highly complimentary of to boot. On this though, you are way out in left field, Willis.

Not that it's anyone's business, but here's why I type in bold blue: I like having choices, why are all those colors there if not to be used? I like color, I am among other things an artist. I believe in self-expression, for myself and others, and I try not to judge, even if it doesn't appeal to me personally. I don't like uniformity, just because everybody else is doing something, I have no problem going my own way. even if it "ain't cool" I don't give a shit. I march, rather dance, to my own drummer. After some experimenting I settled on blue, because it seemed to me the friendliest of the colors available, and I like blue. When there is a debate, like the one above, it's much easier to follow if the two voices are easily distinguishable. And finally and most importantly, and this is really no one's business but I guess I have to explain, and thanks for making me reveal this, I have vision problems. It is really hard for me to read those spidery black letters. Much easier to read my bold blue type when I am composing a post. Much easier to find my post in a thread if that bold blue type jumps out at me.
So if it's fucking annoying for you to read, imagine how fucking annoying it is for me trying to read everybody else's posts. But you would have me conform, so I have the double burden of struggling to read my own.

Thanks.

As for your perception that I am trying to force my opinion on anyone, you are all wet on that too. Again, most ironic coming from you, who I have watched repeatedly slap down posters with whom you disagree, with much less provocation and much more force than I have ever done - even going so far as to challenge a poster to fly down to Tampa so you could beat the shit out of him at the airport terminal. Jeezhus! I, like you, have strong opinions no doubt, but I do not come by them casually. It is through healthy debate and keeping an open mind that I have arrived at my opinions, and they are always subject to revision. Apparently now, you are the only one allowed to have an opinion, oh Lord and Master of Verbal and Graphic Expression! Everyone else who has an opinion is "preaching". Again, most ironic that you would demand that I change my typeface or the way I express my opinions. How fucking Authoritarian!

I take back every nice thing I ever said about you.

Have a nice day. :smile:

oh, and p.s. I hope you appreciate my consideration in changing my typeface just for you.

oh, and p.p.s. Please do put me on ignore. I couldn't give a shit, asshole.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Since when is having an opinion 'preaching'? The OP wanted advice on the best popper to try and maxcok simply suggested none. If maxcok is 'preaching' then so is Stretch for suggesting that "Jungle Juice is usually a good one"
The OP asked for opinions and advice, that's what he got. It's no different than you telling a friend you want to try something. If your friend thought it was dangerous, they would tell you. It's just friendly advice, the OP doesn't have to take any of it.

THANKS WILLOW

It's nice to hear a voice of reason among these braying jackasses.