Which Pronouns Are Most Frequently In Use For Transpeople?

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
This is one area, where I have almost no insights.

I work at an educational institution, and, encounter people of all genders.

My questions are these:
1.) Which is the most tactful way to ask people about the pronouns that they use to describe themselves?
2.) Is this question better asked openly, in a classroom, so that all are aware?
3.) Is the rule of thumb to ask via email, so that privacy is maintained?
4.) What have I missed that I should have asked in regard to ensuring that my teaching environment is inclusive?

Thank you.

Reactions: deleted848353

cherryboom66

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
This is one area, where I have almost no insights.

I work at an educational institution, and, encounter people of all genders.

My questions are these:
1.) Which is the most tactful way to ask people about the pronouns that they use to describe themselves?
2.) Is this question better asked openly, in a classroom, so that all are aware?
3.) Is the rule of thumb to ask via email, so that privacy is maintained?
4.) What have I missed that I should have asked in regard to ensuring that my teaching environment is inclusive?

Thank you.
1. By asking...

2. What you just described is a situation where someone is called out, outed and victimised. Never single someone out in a group and ask that.

3 and 4. I don’t understand the importance. Won’t you just be calling them by their name?

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
1. By asking...

2. What you just described is a situation where someone is called out, outed and victimised. Never single someone out in a group and ask that.

3 and 4. I don’t understand the importance. Won’t you just be calling them by their name?

Actually, because I did not know otherwise, I have been using the person's first name; however, in some conversations the overuse of a name instead of a pronoun, can be interpreted by others as creepy or weird, and, by extension also singles that person out.

I want to:
1.) Treat the person like all others;
2.) Refer to the person as I would anyone else where pronouns are used in lieu of a noun.

cherryboom66

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Actually, because I did not know otherwise, I have been using the person's first name; however, in some conversations the overuse of a name instead of a pronoun, can be interpreted by others as creepy or weird, and, by extension also singles that person out.

I want to:
1.) Treat the person like all others;
2.) Refer to the person as I would anyone else where pronouns are used in lieu of a noun.

Why don’t you flip it and refer to everyone by their name?