Which Wine Do You Serve With Pizza?

Still?!?!? :eek:
You poor thing! :frown1:
Well just make sure you keeping drinking fluids my love and I hope to see you next week! :hug:

Oh and willtom.... dress has to be casual... I only have jeans with me! :cool:

Thanks K8!

It sucks but at least I've lost 6 lbs in two weeks! :biggrin1:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Fish on pizza: White dry wine
Other topping: red light wine

I have tried to develop expertise in making subtle distinctions in a number of areas, but I've come a cropper with wine.
I've liked nearly every wine I've ever tasted ... some more than others, to be sure, but never really found more than a very few of them unpalatable.
And so this is just about the advice I would give on matching wine to pizza.

I left the world of cabernets, sauvignons, and malbecs long ago. To me they are like drinking blood: too thick.

This is a narrow and unsuspected range of expertise, mlb.
What do you think of daylight?:cool:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Oh come, come now!

Elitism is not vogue in this economic climate.

Nick8 asks: Which wine? "And price is no object. :biggrin1:"

Did you not notice the emoticon of invulnerability? Perhaps I ought to have indicated this one instead: :wink: On the other hand, nothing's too good for Nudey...

jason els says: "Much depends what's on the pizza."

njqt concurs & walks us through 5 or 6 toppings with her choice of corresponding beverage ("cabernets" are "too robust", she informs us, unless tempered with strong toppings such as garlic).

There are LPSG members reading this who will be eating boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese tonight with hot dogs because that's one of the cheapest meals in the supermarket.

Even the meal at the G-20 Summit had to be tempered by frugality this year to give the appearance of humility during these tough economic times (a luxurious meal such as the fruitwood smoke quail that GWB served last year was deemed excessive and "inappropriate").

Go with the boxed wine. Go with a certain... blue-collar good-conversation-over-materialism ethic. Dress down (no conspicuous bling). Jackie Kennedy may have been a hit in London during the 1960's, but Michelle Obama's an even bigger hit now judging from press and television reaction, because of the "affordable" everyday good fashion sense she's displaying on this european trip.

And if there are any leftovers, share what you have with your neighbors.

Oh, my. We've got a case of the Sober Seriousies today, haven't we?

:lmao: Left over pizza at a party? :confused: Yeah that's the difference between NYC and California There will be no leftover pizza because it's thin crust and good. I bet there won't be an alfalfa sprout in site. :biggrin1: :cool:

And besides, what soup kitchen would really appreciate the donation of a couple of day old slices? Just imagine the delight on their faces...:rolleyes:

The real question is what wine does one serve with a serving of monsterous COCK?

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Get over yourselves and get a case of Bud Light.

Nope. But I would have expected better taste in beer from you. :wink:

As for the rest of you guys, the suggestions are all great. I will say that, in the immortal words of you know who, Mission Accomplished. I've got two bottles of the Loon. Question is, despite Midlife's quantity rations, I don't consider that enough for four so do I pick up some of your ideas and fill in? If all goes well, it could be a long evening. Unless, of course, Nude throws us out and even then, he'll enjoy it later.

Oh, and two things I don't particularly like on pizza: pineapple and fish. Sorry Pieter.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have tried to develop expertise in making subtle distinctions in a number of areas, but I've come a cropper with wine.
I've liked nearly every wine I've ever tasted ... some more than others, to be sure, but never really found more than a very few of them unpalatable.
And so this is just about the advice I would give on matching wine to pizza.

This is a narrow and unsuspected range of expertise, mlb.
What do you think of daylight?:cool:

Interesting observation, Sr. Rubi: During a 10-day clothing-discouraged houseboat float on Lake Powell in the mid 80's our host, Captain Lawnchair, pulled out a gallon glass jug of Fiamma wine. As to the origins of Fiamma, I cannot say. But it was a brilliant pinkish-orange color, and thus quickly became known as "Flaming Fiamma." Someone remarked that dog piss tasted better. But then it was observed and mutually agreed upon that after the initial or "first" glass of wine, it all tastes the same; especially if you suck it through a straw. :biggrin1:

And thanks for picking up on the Bela Lugosi reference. Not many figure that one out. :tongue:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Interesting observation, Sr. Rubi: During a 10-day clothing-discouraged houseboat float on Lake Powell in the mid 80's our host, Captain Lawnchair, pulled out a gallon glass jug of Fiamma wine. As to the origins of Fiamma, I cannot say. But it was a brilliant pinkish-orange color, and thus quickly became known as "Flaming Fiamma." Someone remarked that dog piss tasted better.

Not an example of comparative tasting to encourage, I'm sure you will agree.

But then it was observed and mutually agreed upon that after the initial or "first" glass of wine, it all tastes the same; especially if you suck it through a straw. :biggrin1:

Yes. The best wine, if I may make a knight's move here, must be served first.

When I was a university student back when XXXXX was still president (oh hell, I can say this ... Trudeau was still prime minister), a favorite party wine was Donini, which came in a gallon-sized bottle and announced, raht there on the labul, that it was "bottled in the cellars of Verona."
We were pretty sure we were on to something, until a much-esteemed geography professor -- one of the few oenophiles breathing in North America back then -- picked up the bottle, squinted, and read out, "bottled in the sewers of Verona."
Devastating, but certainly salubrious for the development of our nascent taste.

And thanks for picking up on the Bela Lugosi reference. Not many figure that one out. :tongue:

Night or day, takes one to know one, mlb.:cool:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Nick8 writes:

--------------------

That royal "we" is elitist, Nick - and not in keeping with the blue collar, frugal, everyman quality that the world is hungering for at this present juncture.

Also: all Oscar Wilde style epigrams and bon mots should be tempered or placed on hold for the near future - at least until the world economies strengthen - as such wit seems decadent, frivolous, and unbearably highbrow to the average working joe trying to eek out a living in these tough economic times.

Non-elitist Budweiser, boxed wine - domestic fare with a broad appeal - seems the best way to go. Also, trendy, highbrow, imported, aged cheeses give off a stench of snobbery. Stick with whatever you can pick up and throw in the basket at your local Trader Joes.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nick8 writes:

Yes Nick! :yup:

Fixed that for you willtom27 :wink:

Get over yourselves and get a case of Bud Light.

Seriously.... would you serve that to a brit who knows her beer?!?!?! :eek:

oops... or is that being elitist too??! :rolleyes: :tongue:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
not in keeping with the blue collar, frugal, everyman quality that the world is hungering for at this present juncture.

Also, trendy, highbrow, imported, aged cheeses give off a stench of snobbery. Stick with whatever you can pick up and throw in the basket at your local Trader Joes.

well if we were strictly applying your philosophy, shouldn't we consider even trader joes elitist, and get our cheese at walmart or costco instead, or better yet get sum gubment cheeze?

i AM a frugal blue collar man, but i say in tough times small indulgences are not only allowed, but should be encouraged. and especially when shared with a friend(s) , it's the complete opposite of snobbery.

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Nick8 writes:

--------------------

That royal "we" is elitist, Nick - and not in keeping with the blue collar, frugal, everyman quality that the world is hungering for at this present juncture.

Also: all Oscar Wilde style epigrams and bon mots should be tempered or placed on hold for the near future - at least until the world economies strengthen - as such wit seems decadent, frivolous, and unbearably highbrow to the average working joe trying to eek out a living in these tough economic times.

Non-elitist Budweiser, boxed wine - domestic fare with a broad appeal - seems the best way to go. Also, trendy, highbrow, imported, aged cheeses give off a stench of snobbery. Stick with whatever you can pick up and throw in the basket at your local Trader Joes.

Oh, Will. Then you're really going to hate this. I'm also bringing a pound of this wonderful black truffle-stuffed brie that I can only find at Garden of Eden. C'mon, now, you know you want some.

Thanks, thadjock. We've all got to live a little, right?!

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Nick8 writes:

Oh, Will. Then you're really going to hate this. I'm also bringing a pound of this wonderful black truffle-stuffed brie that I can only find at Garden of Eden. C'mon, now, you know you want some.

--------------------

Nick, "black truffle-stuffed brie" sounds as horribly decadent and debauched to me as an ancient roman emperer feeding grapes to both his concubine and beautiful, surly 15-year-old youth simultaneously.

I'll opt for a modest non-aged, egalitarian cheddar cheese on a plain wheatground cracker.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
There are LPSG members reading this who will be eating... one of the cheapest meals in the supermarket.
Even the meal at the G-20 Summit had to be tempered by frugality this year to give the appearance of humility during these tough economic times (a luxurious meal ...as the fruitwood smoke quail that GWB served last year was deemed excessive and "inappropriate")
Go with the boxed wine. Go with a certain... blue-collar good-conversation-over-materialism ethic. Dress down (no conspicuous bling). ...Michelle Obama's an even bigger hit now judging from press and television reaction, because of the "affordable" everyday good fashion sense she's displaying on this european trip.

And if there are any leftovers, share what you have with your neighbors.

And besides, what soup kitchen would really appreciate the donation of a couple of day old slices? Just imagine the delight on their faces...:rolleyes:

Nick, "black truffle-stuffed brie" sounds as horribly decadent and debauched to me as an ancient roman emperer feeding grapes to both his concubine and beautiful, surly 15-year-old youth simultaneously.

I'll opt for a modest non-aged, egalitarian cheddar cheese on a plain wheatground cracker.

Dear Queen Victoria, :rolleyes:
Will you please stop dictating to the New York Posse as:

(a)New York is not in your jurisdiction, (b) your reign has ended, (c)they aren't dressing for you or preparing your dinner menu, (d)you're supposed to be dead, (e) Albert is calling you and he's really, really horny and (f) willtom27 wants his body back.:biggrin1:

Oh come, come now!

Don't rush me, cause I ain't ready yet!:hump: