Which Wine Do You Serve With Pizza?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As for the rest of you guys, the suggestions are all great. I will say that, in the immortal words of you know who, Mission Accomplished. I've got two bottles of the Loon. Question is, despite Midlife's quantity rations, I don't consider that enough for four so do I pick up some of your ideas and fill in? If all goes well, it could be a long evening. Unless, of course, Nude throws us out and even then, he'll enjoy it later.
For four people who drink socially and have to drive I'd say 2 bottles. If everyone is cabbing it then three bottles.:cool:

Oh, and two things I don't particularly like on pizza: pineapple and fish. Sorry Pieter.
Only heretics put that crap on pizza. :irked: I am a pizza purist when it come to toppings. No pineapple, ham, spam, hamburger, bacon, or orange cheeses. IMHO Pizza should neither look nor taste like a cheesesteak, baked ziti, or a taco. I love all those foods, but they stand on their own fine.

Get over yourselves and get a case of Bud Light.
BudLight! :eek::confused: I'm no beer drinker but even I recall that tasting like watered down piss. :yuck: If you must drink domestic go with one of the Sam Adam's beers or Bud Ice House.

The real question is what wine does one serve with a serving of monsterous COCK?
Everything tastes good when it sits on a Ritz; and anything tastes good when served with a monsterous cock. :biggrin1:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BTW, the merlot suggestion ? This is how I really feel about it, beer and wine for pizza ? You've gotta be kidding ? Sprite or Pepsi with a pizza. Pizza is food for kids/teens. Even ice water before beer or wine.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
BudLight! :eek::confused: I'm no beer drinker but even I recall that tasting like watered down piss. :yuck:

Your explorations are unending, nj.:wink:

This is how I really feel about it, beer and wine for pizza? You've gotta be kidding? Sprite or Pepsi with a pizza. Pizza is food for kids/teens. Even ice water before beer or wine.

Nutz.
Depends on the pizza, transformer.
They're not all the same.

Dear Queen Victoria, :rolleyes:
Will you please stop dictating to the New York Posse as:

(a)New York is not in your jurisdiction, (b) your reign has ended, (c)they aren't dressing for you or preparing your dinner menu, (d)you're supposed to be dead, (e) Albert is calling you and he's really, really horny and (f) willtom27 wants his body back.:biggrin1:​

Verrry good, dreamer.
I'd forgotten what a toughie U R.:cool:

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BTW, the merlot suggestion ? This is how I really feel about it, beer and wine for pizza ? You've gotta be kidding ? Sprite or Pepsi with a pizza. Pizza is food for kids/teens. Even ice water before beer or wine.
I disagree, pizza is for people of all ages. Water should never be served with pizza unless it is frissante, e.g. Perrier; because you need carbonation to cut the grease and aide in digestion.

IMHO, If you don't like any pizza you've probably never had a good one. :cool:

Your explorations are unending, nj.:wink:
I may not be an expert on sex and sexuality; but when you talk pizza and booze you are well into my comfort zone. :biggrin1: :cool:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I stand firm and won't back pedal on this, chilled tap water is just fine with pizza. It's neutral and allows one to enjoy the flavor of the crust, cheese, sauce and other toppings with the seasonings & spices that make them what they are.

Even a gourmet pizza is not up there with a fine surf or turf meal. Wine is overkill for pizza. Something about a dinner that is delivered or picked up in a cardboard box and a layer of wax paper underneath it just doesn't go hand in hand with the elegance of a wine glass ? It's not something you'd serve with candlelight ambience, not unless the power went out during the middle of the dinner ?

I disagree too with needing a carbonated beverage to cut thru the grease/oil. My God, the best pizza's I've eaten are virtually oil free. If you need to soak that up with a napkin, you shouldn't be eating that, that's a sh*tty pizza in my opinion. And don't get me started with these places that load up on garlic, there's only so much of that you need to flavor the food before it just becomes overwhelmingly gross.

I will agree pizza is a food for people of all ages, but it has it's time and place. To me, I'd no more serve wine with an Italian sub/hero. I guess maybe a beer would go with one of those ? But again, a soda, water or iced tea would work better. Pizza to me is more of a social and informal dinner per se. But conceptually, perhaps a stromboli or calzone is something the adults would eat ? Those dishes are starting to get into the territory where I might see serving wine ? Then you have your more traditional Italian pasta & seafood/meat entrees. Agree ? Disagree ?

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I stand firm and won't back pedal on this, chilled tap water is just fine with pizza. It's neutral and allows one to enjoy the flavor of the crust, cheese, sauce and other toppings with the seasonings & spices that make them what they are.

Even a gourmet pizza is not up there with a fine surf or turf meal. Wine is overkill for pizza. Something about a dinner that is delivered or picked up in a cardboard box and a layer of wax paper underneath it just doesn't go hand in hand with the elegance of a wine glass ? It's not something you'd serve with candlelight ambience, not unless the power went out during the middle of the dinner ?

I disagree too with needing a carbonated beverage to cut thru the grease/oil. My God, the best pizza's I've eaten are virtually oil free. If you need to soak that up with a napkin, you shouldn't be eating that, that's a sh*tty pizza in my opinion. And don't get me started with these places that load up on garlic, there's only so much of that you need to flavor the food before it just becomes overwhelmingly gross.

I will agree pizza is a food for people of all ages, but it has it's time and place. To me, I'd no more serve wine with an Italian sub/hero. I guess maybe a beer would go with one of those ? But again, a soda, water or iced tea would work better. Pizza to me is more of a social and informal dinner per se. But conceptually, perhaps a stromboli or calzone is something the adults would eat ? Those dishes are starting to get into the territory where I might see serving wine ? Then you have your more traditional Italian pasta & seafood/meat entrees. Agree ? Disagree ?

Respectfully disagree, transformer. :smile:
Pizza depends on skill of the maker, and their ingredients. A stone to bake it on (we use the Pampered Chef unglazed clay slab and it is worth every dime we paid for it) is a huge improvement over a metal pan. If the only pizza you've eaten is the humble take-out kinds you've described above, you have my deepest sympathy. The OP mentioned specifically that Nudeyorker was making the pizza from scratch. An inexpensive, good quality table wine can properly accompany good pizza, and add much to the conviviality.

Last edited:

You do realize that this thread obligates you to tell us all about dinner with K8 and nudeyorker!

Spill it!

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Respectfully disagree, transformer. :smile:
Pizza depends on skill of the maker, and their ingredients. A stone to bake it on (we use the Pampered Chef unglazed clay slab and it is worth every dime we paid for it) is a huge improvement over a metal pan. If the only pizza you've eaten is the humble take-out kinds you've described above, you have my deepest sympathy. The OP mentioned specifically that Nudeyorker was making the pizza from scratch. An inexpensive, good quality table wine can properly accompany good pizza, and add much to the conviviality.

Trust me, I've had pizza, everything from Little Caesars to a gourmet pizza parlor to home made pizza baked on a pizza stone in an oven by my now, deceased Sardinian grandmother. I've even had home made pastas including gnocchi (that one always seems to stand out in my mind, as a childhood favorite). I won't go so far as to say it was the best ever made, but authentic Italian, you don't get any more authentic when it's made by the hands of a natural born Italian citizen/grandmother with recipes that were handed down from prior generations of Italians ? The tastes varied, but not appreciably. I do prefer one to others and again, pizza is generally pizza. You can serve chilled Red Bull and it works with pizza. Pizza is a casual, living room, coffee table or even folding tray meal while the tv drones on in the background. I just don't see a dinner setting with classical music playing, serving wine in a candlelight ambience during a pizza feast ? Maybe I'll try that this weekend to see if I've been missing out on it all this time ?

Enough on this though, like Jason Els, I'm curious about the dinner and conversation ?

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Isn't the answer obvious, the drink is first then you decide what pizza your going to eat.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well I think everyone enjoyed the evening. We all hated to see it end! Nick8 and K8 were delightful and charming as always. For me the evening was a hit...good food, good friends, great conversation, music and A lotof wine. I went to bed very happy.
I'll let them tell you more about it. I don't like to brag about my cooking!
But I think everything turned out great!

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG The cooking!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail:

It was a magnificent evening of non-stop talking, non-stop drinking (hic) and a lot of eating!

The pizza's were to die for, the watermelon was delicious with the blueberries and mint and the Hawaiian Kona coffee butter cake was so light and dreamy I wish I'd brought some home for breakfast!!! :rolleyes:

It was a great night! :biggrin1:

Only Nudey knows how much we really drank :redface:
But I do think we were all a bit :friday: by the end! :party:

Thank you soooooooooo much for the hospitality and wonderful evening. I had a fantastic time! :1244:

:kiss: for nudey
and a :kiss: for his lovely nicky!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
We had a wonderful time. The pizzas were sublime and I can go on record as saying that Nudey did, in fact, do that twirly over the head thing with the dough. I can't in good conscience recount (although, despite the wine, I can recall) the conversation but suffice to say no one at lpsg was discussed. :eek: :biggrin1:

I'm quite sure we overstayed our welcome as we didn't get home until 1:30 and dinner had been called for 7:00 but neither Nudey nor Other-Nick were crass enough to tell us so.

Here's a bit of gossip I will let you in on, however. I'm a house snoop. It's a tit-for-tat thing, though. I expect you'll do the same when you come here. So, as I was getting my coat out of Nudey's bedroom, what do I see, discreetly hung on the wall? Not one but two nominations to Vanity Fair's best dressed list, '06 and '07. That's pretty cool.

For more details on our evening, you'll want to see The 8's Circle of Hell.

Specific questions may be asked but will not always be answered.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just want to say that you did not over stay your welcome... We both hated to have the evening end...even though it was morning! Thanks to our famed photographer Nick8...we captured the moment. (No I don't have a sunburn,( I turn red when I drink)

Attachments

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Nick8 writes:

Here's a bit of gossip I will let you in on, however. I'm a house snoop

--------------------

I hope you had the good grace and savoir-faire not to rifle through the bedroom drawers or rummage the medicine cabinet, checking prescription bottles.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dear K8, Nick8, & Nudeyorker:

Thanks for the photographic evidence. Glad to hear you all enjoyed the evening. Watermelon and blueberries with mint?! Although I can't complain about my life (¡No puedo quejarme de nada!), the five or six months I spend down here in BsAs with The Squeeze is both a nutritional and culinary challenge. So, thanks for the vicarious thrills.

an envious Midlifebear