While we're on the subject of bad grammar and sloppy spelling...

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My morbid favorite is the ignoramus who "corrects" the competent speller: "BOARD, like I don't have anything to do, not BORD, like a chalkbord!" (Reply: "Oh, God, I hope you don't breed.")

Second favorite is the exchange between Lindsay, who cannot write anything without making an error of spelling, and Daniel, who cannot read an error without pointing it out. "You're making this too easy for me."

Edited to add: Whoops! Maybe this one is my new favorite--although, since it was added after the page was started, it could be a fake.

Last edited:

sexualnapalm

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
OMG that was my favorite too!!!! I loved that one! The one you added, Cal. The one about the "comma." Priceless!

And thank you to Hickboy for posting this! I love reading stuff like this and I'm going to post this on my facebook because I have friends (most of whom are grammar fanatics) and they will love this!!

My morbid favorite is the ignoramus who "corrects" the competent speller: "BOARD, like I don't have anything to do, not BORD, like a chalkbord!" (Reply: "Oh, God, I hope you don't breed.")

Second favorite is the exchange between Lindsay, who cannot write anything without making an error of spelling, and Daniel, who cannot read an error without pointing it out. "You're making this too easy for me."

Edited to add: Whoops! Maybe this one is my new favorite--although, since it was added after the page was started, it could be a fake.

lucidbass

Experimental Member
Media
Sometimes they're funny, but when people post something serious on facebook and have nothing better to do than feed their otherwise non-existing ego by pointing out spelling errors, it starts creeping into the territory of 'I'm a pretty worthless person, but at least I've got brains err, a spellchecker'.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Sometimes they're funny, but when people post something serious on facebook and have nothing better to do than feed their otherwise non-existing ego by pointing out spelling errors, it starts creeping into the territory of 'I'm a pretty worthless person, but at least I've got brains err, a spellchecker'.

See that bold text there? That's the fundamental flaw in your argument right there. :smile:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One of the biggest disappointments life has to offer is when you meet someone who's sweet, charming, attractive and seemingly possessed of an above-average mind only to later discover that s/he's functionally illiterate. S/he'll send you an email or write something on my FB page that is absolutely astonishing in its sixth-grade level of writing skills.

Bad grammar or occasional homonym errors* can be written off as yet another example those who read little and write less, but there's no excuse for spelling errors. Spell check is built into every browser I've used since at least 2005; ignoring that red underline is either lazy or else completely apathetic to how you come across. It's like going shopping right out of bed, complete with PJs and a bad case of bed-head: really, really poor form.

*Just to clarify homonym errors: I'll excuse the occasional site/cite or, as was written here recently, stash/stache, as spell check would probably let them pass. However, there is no excuse for grown adults for whom English is a first language to not understand their/they're/there or ridiculous apostrophe abuse: none. And, FWIW, learning/perfecting an additional language helps improve one's English grammar dramatically.

As a side note: I really do take my time with each post I make here and elsewhere, reviewing and correcting errors where I find them; this post has been reviewed three times before I felt it was ready for submission. And if I use a word that is flagged spell check but which I know to have been spelled correctly, I'll Google it. Nine times out of ten, I'm vindicated
:cool:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*Just to clarify homonym errors: I'll excuse the occasional site/cite or, as was written here recently, stash/stache, as spell check would probably let them pass. However, there is no excuse for grown adults for whom English is a first language to not understand their/they're/there or ridiculous apostrophe abuse: none. And, FWIW, learning/perfecting an additional language helps improve one's English grammar dramatically.

Sorry, Bbucko, but what you are talking about there are homophones (the subject of a thread to which I think the title of this one alludes), not homonyms.