White House gets schooled: Don't mess with Freedom of the Press

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
VB, you're putting way too much effort into arguing with Ericsson. Something tells me it's just not worth it.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Barely won in a district that has been Republican since the 1850s. OK, if that makes you feel better. But elections aren't like horse shoes and hand grenades.

In contrast to the Obama’s team sanguine analysis, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) told POLITICO, “We got walloped

Many Democratic politicians and operatives publicly and privately say Obama’s “big bang” strategy — trying to move several major policy initiatives in his first year — has also caused independent voters to question whether he is sufficiently focused on their primary concern, reviving the stagnant economy. “Every Dem who is up in either 2010 or 2012 knows that last night was big — if the right wing hadn’t meddled in New York’s 23rd, that would have gone GOP, too,” said former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey, adding that he fears Democrats may be heading for a repeat of some 1990s history. “The electorate appears restless and angry. If they begin to ‘vote the bums out’ as they did in 1994, Democrats know that the next election is going to be extremely difficult.”
'We got walloped'

Even Dems know the real deal. :rolleyes: You should get up to speed.

Yes, because as we know Newt Gingrich and the NRA always endorse moderate liberals.

Newt was right in his thinking but wrong in supporting Scozzafava:

Gingrich defends endorsement as 'practical choice'

"The choice in New York is a practical one: We can split the conservative vote and guarantee the election of a Democrat in a Republican seat in a substantial loss of opportunity.
Newt Gingrich

The Republicans basically should never allow the Democrats to define them or their "tent." Scozzafava should never have been appointed. She should have had a primary and let the people choose.

The NRA supported Scozzafava because she supports the NRA. There are Democrats who support the NRA and the NRA would endorse them too so you basically have no point there.:rolleyes:

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
He's had a year already to do something, and hasn't.

How much more time will the people give him?

To be precise he's had just over 9 months since he was inaugurated.

And the recession is "officially" over with the 3.5% GDP growth in the last quarter.

Yes we still have problems with unemployment but as a result of structural issues in the economy which require longer term solutions and investment.

The odd thing is that on the one hand people want to moan about the trillions of dollars being spent by the government. And on the other they moan about unemployment. The two are generally mutually exclusive problems. The government is always the spender of last resort. When consumers close their wallets, businesses cut back on investment, and people are laid off en masse... do you really want your government to downsize as well?

Sorry folks but it's precisely the wrong time to start waking up to fiscal discipline. Despite notions to the contrary, the government pays employees, contractors and suppliers in real money that goes into the real economy and creates real jobs.

Again, Bush was by far the most profligate spender of taxpayer funds in recent history. Not a peep from the tea baggers. Why? Not because they care about spending but because they care about the taxes that they pay. Well news flash; the Bush philosophy of raising spending while cutting taxes is a short road off a high cliff. The existence of term limits is about the only thing that kept us from barreling off into the abyss...

Last edited:

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
The NRA supported Scozzafava because she supports the NRA. There are Democrats who support the NRA and the NRA would endorse them too so you basically have no point there.:rolleyes:

Scroll up to the part where you claimed she "held true to none of the major principles of a Conservative" and tell me again why I have no point.

Unless, that is, supporting the NRA is not a major principle of Conservatives. If you keep talking out your ass I will continue to call out your smelly farts.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Who conspired to have Obama take over GM?

Conspired, Skippy? Really?

I'm not sure why GM rates inclusion in your tired little rant while Chrysler is left out in the rain all by its lonesome. Of the big three, only Ford declined participating in the auto industry bailout.

I also find it beyond odd that anyone from Michigan would prefer to see the resulting millions of layoffs and ruined lives that would accompany the total breakdown of the American auto industry. And I'm on record here and elsewhere as being vehemently anti-car: I didn't even get my first car til I was 38, and got rid of my second car seven years later.

But if part of the American Dream shared nearly across the board is the "right" to be mauled or killed by those smelly, hideous, dangerous, polluting, human-scale-destroying deathtraps in order to get as far away from each other as possible, isn't it in the government's interest to ensure its continuation?

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Scroll up to the part where you claimed she "held true to none of the major principles of a Conservative" and tell me again why I have no point.

Unless, that is, supporting the NRA is not a major principle of Conservatives. If you keep talking out your ass I will continue to call out your smelly farts.

You sound stupid. Being a conservative doesn't mean you must support the NRA. What is wrong with you?

Ericsson1228d

Experimental Member
Media
I also find it beyond odd that anyone from Michigan would prefer to see the resulting millions of layoffs and ruined lives that would accompany the total breakdown of the American auto industry. And I'm on record here and elsewhere as being vehemently anti-car: I didn't even get my first car til I was 38, and got rid of my second car seven years later.

I've been in Michigan long enough to see what the auto industry became, and what the UAW became.

I know a lot of line workers and management at GM. I know the guy who was paid close to 70K a year to calibrate vacuum gauges there - a job that a 10 year old could do, and honestly required no skill. The UAW is the root cause of the auto industry failure - they "bargained" until they bankrupted the companies providing their livelihoods. The UAW "job bank" where "laid off" workers were paid in excess of 80% of their salary by GM, because the union forced it. Eventually, GM was "allowed" to end the "job bank," but the damage was done.

The greed of the big 3 is matched (and often exceeded) by the UAW. If you look at the way the UAW forced GM to operate, you would be surprised (as I am) that GM lasted as long as it did. You can't bleed company dry - they eventually run out of the green blood.

Anyone who thinks the UAW operated "fairly," and had "reasonable" benefits, etc, really needs to look at the union deals more closely. "Unskilled" GM line-workers were making more money and having better retirement plans and benefits than teachers, some college professors, police, fire, etc. I'm not saying they don't deserve to make a living, but GM was being gutted. When the demand for the cars decreased, the well dried up.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Funny how I never said that, but I imagine it won't stop you from disagreeing with it anyway. Glad the voices in your head are keeping you company...

You don't know what you said. The voices in your head obviously speak for you. :rolleyes: Regardless, the article clearly discounted your initial post and your subsequent comments were simply stupidity followed by a whack insult that was more appropriately directed at yourself.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been in Michigan long enough to see what the auto industry became, and what the UAW became.

I know a lot of line workers and management at GM. I know the guy who was paid close to 70K a year to calibrate vacuum gauges there - a job that a 10 year old could do, and honestly required no skill. The UAW is the root cause of the auto industry failure - they "bargained" until they bankrupted the companies providing their livelihoods. The UAW "job bank" where "laid off" workers were paid in excess of 80% of their salary by GM, because the union forced it. Eventually, GM was "allowed" to end the "job bank," but the damage was done.

The greed of the big 3 is matched (and often exceeded) by the UAW. If you look at the way the UAW forced GM to operate, you would be surprised (as I am) that GM lasted as long as it did. You can't bleed company dry - they eventually run out of the green blood.

Anyone who thinks the UAW operated "fairly," and had "reasonable" benefits, etc, really needs to look at the union deals more closely. "Unskilled" GM line-workers were making more money and having better retirement plans and benefits than teachers, some college professors, police, fire, etc. I'm not saying they don't deserve to make a living, but GM was being gutted. When the demand for the cars decreased, the well dried up.

I am constantly amazed at the zeal with which this argument is put forth, given that the people who make this argument, turn around and zealously argue against the same argument when it's applied to white collar jobs. Especially, since the greed on Wall Street is orders of magnitude greater than that in Detroit.

Double standard, hypocrisy. Pure, simple.

Message: pure unadulterated capitalism is the American Way as regards the activities of white collar executives (and their ilk), but it is head-shakingly ugly when pursued by blue collar (e.g., poor, brown, etc.) folks.

F#ck.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Message: pure unadulterated capitalism is the American Way as regards the activities of white collar executives (and their ilk), but it is head-shakingly ugly when pursued by blue collar (e.g., poor, brown, etc.) folks.

That's because there's more of us than more of them.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Fox News is #1 for a reason. The void existed. CNN and the others were acting as Obama surrogates and not reporting the news. They ignored anything that wasn't favorable to Obama and people are fed up with it.

Fox is leading CNN to actually cover the News Obama isn't happy with...ergo the White House's War started with Fox "so other news organizations don't follow Fox."

The elections in NJ and VA, the Tea Parties and the Townhalls still aren't sinking in for the Obama Administration and die hard Obama FANS. The people are not supporting the Obama and Democratic Agenda which is threatening America's strength and future.

It isn't about Party. It's about policy. It just so happens that the Democratic Party is the party in control and their policy is out of whack.

I was under the impression that the other news channels were around before obama? How on earth are they surrogates? They ignored anything that was blatant trash to confuse the masses and spread lies. It called good journalism.

Wait, you speak for the American people now? Perhaps some people as deluded as yourself are not supporting the change that is necessary, and is coming whether or not you bunch of heathens like it.... but certainly not the people. Define policy out of whack. Because the way I see it... the eight years before obama came into office, and the policy of the republican party candidate going against obama seemed to define it pretty damn well.

Is it a coincidence that the majority of college students and those with diplomas identify as liberal, or at least left of conservative? I think not. It's called being educated. Perhaps one day the lemmings, like you, will all do a nose dive off some cliff somewhere. Till then the masses of the educated must deal with their shambling about in a line and running into us with their hate, their bias, their flawed perception, and their terrorism(yes, I just called Fox News, and the people who support it.. namely the republican party and it's constituents.. terrorists).

As for the tea parties and the town halls sinking in... they simply won't. You wanna know why? Because it's a joke. A big joke that those with half a brain can't help but laugh at. It's fodder for the pundits, aka the daily show and the colbert show. Silly Trannity.

Everyone put on your galoshes and rubber suits.... the bullshit is sure piling up deep.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
First off, a level of distrust of the government is ALWAYS healthy, no matter what party is in power.

Second, fueled by "own beliefs and conspiracy theories"? Obama made the promise to reduce taxes, nobody on the right "cooked that up." Who conspired to have Obama take over GM? Who conspired to not close GITMO?

I know that some people like to paint Republicans as conspiracy nut-jobs, but NONE of those things mentioned above are a product of any "conspiracy theory," they are the actions of the current administration. That is why many people disapprove of Obama. Actions (or lack thereof) speak louder than words, something Obama apparently didn't learn in 1st grade - he will learn soon enough when his first (and only) term is up.

A level of distrust of the government is always healthy, I'll agree with that.

However, the issues have been around for longer than obama. The simple fact is Republicans can't expect to hand him a ton of issues they themselves created, or exacerbated and then point the finger saying "you haven't fixed all of these issues yet.. it's been almost a year!" when they themselves never fixed *any* issue but simply created more than were already there. The simple fact is neither the republican or democratic parties are right... they never have been. The reason there are so many problems in this country at this time is the failing of BOTH of those parties over the last half a century or more. But if you look closely the republican party has systematically, time and again, created massive problems for this society which we are not capable of still fully dealing with to this day. One example= the majority of the homeless population. Can we say, deinstitutionalization? Great idea on paper, until the government, at that time led by the republican party doesn't follow through and instead of building the programs which it promised to build, with what it got from closing down publicly funded institutions etc, reallocates the money elsewhere. That's just a drop in the bucket though.

I'm not a democrat, I'm not a republican... I identify as independent. Both silly ass parties point the fingers back and forth but really they all just need to point at themselves. Until there is a realistic, third party with enough behind them to actually show some form of challenge to both parties this country will keep going down a path that is just as retarded as it has been for years.

The simple fact is.. that both parties have fucked this country up royally, and because of that it's going to take a lot of work... and a lot of time... to even get the ball rolling massively in the right direction.

As for Obama, I like the guy. He may not have gotten as much done as I would hope at this point in time, but he's gotten the ball rolling on multiple things. He has affected some change for the better and hopefully will continue doing so, as opposed to change for the worse.. which is what I got used to for the last eight years. Are you suggesting that the republican candidate would have done better?

As for him taking over the car companies. By that I assume you mean the demands he's placed on them for the money that has been allocated to them...? If that's the case, good. Those demands need to be placed. They've been fucking off for years, its time it was brought to public attention and dealt with. It will actually do MI alot of good. And having lived in MI for the last 22 years, and specifically the 8 1/2 before moving to PA... MI could definitely use some help like that, being the second worst state in the whole nation economy wise right after Alaska(coincidence, I think not.. ::cough:: Palin ::cough::).

Last edited:

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
The government is always the spender of last resort. When consumers close their wallets, businesses cut back on investment, and people are laid off en masse... do you really want your government to downsize as well?

Sorry folks but it's precisely the wrong time to start waking up to fiscal discipline. Despite notions to the contrary, the government pays employees, contractors and suppliers in real money that goes into the real economy and creates real jobs.

Bush was by far the most profligate spender of taxpayer funds in recent history. Well news flash; the Bush philosophy of raising spending while cutting taxes is a short road off a high cliff. The existence of term limits is about the only thing that kept us from barreling off into the abyss...

Exactly.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
I was under the impression that the other news channels were around before obama? How on earth are they surrogates? They ignored anything that was blatant trash to confuse the masses and spread lies. It called good journalism.

I stated exactly what I meant. Fox is #1 for a reason. CNN and others acted as surrogates for the Obama Campaign and refused to report the news. The Obama Campaign is starting a War with Fox News because they don't want CNN and others to stop being surrogates for the Obama Administration. Unfortunately for the Obama Administration their sad antics have been met with a consensus of unapproval from all News Organizations.

Fox has increased viewership and is now dominating and it is because they report the News - not the news Obama likes. CNN and the like are just catching on...the more viewers flock to FOX News and the more Obama must actually govern and overreaches instead of simply giving teleprompter speeches.

Wait, you speak for the American people now? Perhaps some people as deluded as yourself are not supporting the change that is necessary, and is coming whether or not you bunch of heathens like it.... but certainly not the people. Define policy out of whack. Because the way I see it... the eight years before obama came into office, and the policy of the republican party candidate going against obama seemed to define it pretty damn well.

I'm not a Republican and did not support Bush. Obama, Pelosi and the Democrats in Congress do not have the change we need. If you believe they do, then it is you who is deluded. The American People know that the Democratic agenda is not the right direction for thecountry.

Is it a coincidence that the majority of college students and those with diplomas identify as liberal, or at least left of conservative? I think not. It's called being educated. Perhaps one day the lemmings, like you, will all do a nose dive off some cliff somewhere. Till then the masses of the educated must deal with their shambling about in a line and running into us with their hate, their bias, their flawed perception, and their terrorism(yes, I just called Fox News, and the people who support it.. namely the republican party and it's constituents.. terrorists).

You called Fox News and people who support it terrorists. You just proved how uneducated you are. :rolleyes:

As for the tea parties and the town halls sinking in... they simply won't. You wanna know why? Because it's a joke. A big joke that those with half a brain can't help but laugh at. It's fodder for the pundits, aka the daily show and the colbert show. Silly Trannity.

Political strategists disagree. Just watch CNN...even they know that's not true. If Obama follows that thinking his polls will continue to tank.

Everyone put on your galoshes and rubber suits.... the bullshit is sure piling up deep.

And it's all coming from you. :rolleyes: