White House gets schooled: Don't mess with Freedom of the Press

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
It took me like 5 minutes to stop laughing at you.

Where to begin?

How about the "lawsuit"?

1) ...Having read the case I know for a fact that 'natural health' website just made the story up.

2a) The law suit wasn't against Fox News, it named New World Communications of Tampa as the defendant. Fox News had nothing to do with the alleged 'news story' or the lawsuit; literally, nothing.

New World Communications of Tampa/WTVT=FOX 13 Tampa Bay

Jane Akre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jane Akre and her husband Steve Wilson are former employees of Fox-owned-and-operated station WTVT in Tampa, Florida. In 1997, they were fired from the station after refusing to knowingly include false information in their report concerning the Monsanto Company's production of RBGH, a drug designed to make cows produce more milk. They successfully sued under Florida's whistle-blower law and were awarded a US $425,000 settlement by jury decision. However, Fox appealed to an appellate court and won, after the court declared that the FCC policy against falsification that Fox violated was just a policy and not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not apply...

WTVT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WTVT, channel 13, is a television station in Tampa, Florida. It is an owned and operated station of the Fox Broadcasting Company, a subsdiary of the News Corporation. WTVT's studios are located in Tampa, and its transmitter is located in Riverview, Florida.

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion_Pages/Opinion_Page_2004/February/February 25, 2004/2D01-529.pdf

Last edited:

B_Mister Buildington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
WTVT, channel 13, is a television station in Tampa, Florida. It is an owned and operated station of the Fox Broadcasting Company, a subsdiary of the News Corporation. WTVT's studios are located in Tampa, and its transmitter is located in Riverview, Florida.

Fox News is terrible! They spend in inordinate amount of time documenting life in some shit-burg called Springfield, and never even mention what state it's in. That's just sloppy journalism. And don't get me started on their totally slanted expose on American life as a family guy.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You didn't read those links. It wasn't until 1997 that WTVT became a fox affiliate, which fox then bought out. Akre was hired in 1996 and was fired by mid 1997.

Jane Akre and her husband Steve Wilson are former employees of Fox-owned-and-operated station WTVT in Tampa, Florida. In 1997, they were fired from the station after refusing to knowingly include false information in their report concerning the Monsanto Company's production of RBGH, a drug designed to make cows produce more milk. They successfully sued under Florida's whistle-blower law and were awarded a US $425,000 settlement by jury decision. However, Fox appealed to an appellate court and won, after the court declared that the FCC policy against falsification that Fox violated was just a policy and not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not apply...

Again, you cited wikipedia and I cited the actual case. The facts of the case directly disagree with Akre's wikipedia page. Further, look at all the complaints filed about Akre's Wiki page.

Glaring Lies:
1) Akre and Wilson didn't successfully sue. They lost. They got nothing. NWC appealed and Akre got nothing. All of Wilson's claims failed to convince a jury. Only one of Akre's 4 worked, and that got overturned.

2) WVTV demanded substantiation of facts, Akre refused to give it. It's right there in the case. Akre wouldn't provide it. The quote in my previous post is straight out of the case: 866 So.2d 1231

3) No where does the court say Fox violated anything, especially the falsification policy. The court also does not say that WVTV violated the falsification policy. The court was never, ever, ever were tasked with making a determination under the falsification policy, which they can't do anyway as the falsification policy is an adjudicative procedure used within the FCC; it isn't a law the court can look at. If you don't understand these things then you need to attend law school until you do.

4) Fox isn't named in the case NWC is. NWC was later bought out by Fox, but by the time of the filing of this case, Fox had not done so; Fox would have been named as defendant. The other liberal buzz-word would have been used, NewsCorp.

and this is the determination that WVTV doesn't get appellate attorney's fees. What's the point?

Heres a quote from your link: "We reach this conclusion even though the whistle-blower aspect of Akre’s case was without legal merit from its inception."

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fox News is terrible! They spend in inordinate amount of time documenting life in some shit-burg called Springfield, and never even mention what state it's in. That's just sloppy journalism. And don't get me started on their totally slanted expose on American life as a family guy.
Isn't that Springfield place by a port...or was it a mountain....or was is it a lake, I forget.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
It took me like 5 minutes to stop laughing at you. Where to begin?

How about the "lawsuit"?
1)...Having read the case
I know for a fact that 'natural health' website just made the story up.

Source: 866 So.2d 1231

^^ The lawsuit which you claimed to be imaginary obviously exists as even now you are discussing it. In the following post I posted both the Akre win and subsequent appeal which Fox won, yet you claim I did not acknowledge the latter victory.

WTVT, channel 13, is a television station in Tampa, Florida. It is an owned and operated station of the Fox Broadcasting Company, a subsidiary of the News Corporation. WTVT's studios are located in Tampa, and its transmitter is located in Riverview, Florida.

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion_Pages/Opinion_Page_2004/February/February 25, 2004/2D01-529.pdf

You didn't read those links. It wasn't until 1997 that WTVT became a fox affiliate, which fox then bought out. Akre was hired in 1996 and was fired by mid 1997.

You didn't read the links as WTVT became a Fox affiliate in 1994 and was bought out in 1997.

Fox affiliate switches of 1994 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a Fox station

In late 1993, the Fox Broadcasting Company won the rights to air the games of the National Football Conference of the National Football League from CBS, beginning in 1994. As a result, Fox began looking for more VHF affiliates, and signed a long term deal with New World, switching most of its stations, including WTVT, to Fox. WTVT dropped its CBS affiliation in December 1994, becoming a Fox affiliate.

Ericsson1228d

Experimental Member
Media

Again, you cited wikipedia and I cited the actual case. The facts of the case directly disagree with Akre's wikipedia page. Further, look at all the complaints filed about Akre's Wiki page.

Glaring Lies:
1) Akre and Wilson didn't successfully sue. They lost. They got nothing. NWC appealed and Akre got nothing. All of Wilson's claims failed to convince a jury. Only one of Akre's 4 worked, and that got overturned.

2) WVTV demanded substantiation of facts, Akre refused to give it. It's right there in the case. Akre wouldn't provide it. The quote in my previous post is straight out of the case: 866 So.2d 1231

3) No where does the court say Fox violated anything, especially the falsification policy. The court also does not say that WVTV violated the falsification policy. The court was never, ever, ever were tasked with making a determination under the falsification policy, which they can't do anyway as the falsification policy is an adjudicative procedure used within the FCC; it isn't a law the court can look at. If you don't understand these things then you need to attend law school until you do.

4) Fox isn't named in the case NWC is. NWC was later bought out by Fox, but by the time of the filing of this case, Fox had not done so; Fox would have been named as defendant. The other liberal buzz-word would have been used, NewsCorp.

and this is the determination that WVTV doesn't get appellate attorney's fees. What's the point?

Heres a quote from your link: "We reach this conclusion even though the whistle-blower aspect of Akre’s case was without legal merit from its inception."

I am sure that Enough_for_me's diligence on clarifying this matter will be either 1) ignored or 2) result in him being called a (choose one): racist, cracker, or 'rabid right-wing nut-job.'

A well researched and presented argument is a thing of beauty.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
^^ The lawsuit which you claimed to be imaginary obviously exists as even now you are discussing it. In the following post I posted both the Akre win and subsequent appeal which Fox won, yet you claim I did not acknowledge the latter victory.
You are having some trouble, but thats ok, I'm patient. Fox was not, at any point, ever, in any way, in name or otherwise, part of the litigation that you claim proves they are "dishonest". They simply aren't there.

Next, I never claimed it to be imaginary, in fact, I CITED THE CASE! Then explained that I read it (you read wikipedia), and that the story told by Akre is made up; which is still uncontested by the facts, I don't care what wikipedia says.

dreamer20 said:
You didn't read the links as WTVT became a Fox affiliate in 1994 and was bought out in 1997.
Do you see the difference between "Fox affiliate" and "bought out"? There is a difference worth parsing. Oddly enough, we can also look at who was sued: not Fox. In fact, Fox's name is only mentioned as being an affiliate (they would have said owner and operator if it were true). Again, we can look elsewhere to prove you wrong, the court never (and this is uncontested) declared WVTV or Fox (or anybody else) in violation of the news falsification policy; in fact the case only discusses it as a basis on which a wrongful termination suit was brought. There is nothing in this case that does anything to prove what you said it proved in the first place.

Since you are confused: read this

I would post something more cerebral than Wiki, but we're taking baby steps here.

Some morsels:
-the broadcasting industry, a network affiliate (or affiliated station) is a local broadcaster which carries some or all of the programme line-up of a television or radio network, but is owned by a company other than the owner of the network. This distinguishes such a station from an owned-and-operated station (O&O), which is owned by its parent network.

-While network-owned stations will normally carry the full programming schedule of the originating network, an affiliate is independently-owned and typically under no obligation to do so.
Explained: WVTV maintains their own network, but carries some fox programming; like The Simpsons. They still produce their own news and decide what goes on air or what doesn't.

Really, I can't make this much simpler.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am sure that Enough_for_me's diligence on clarifying this matter will be either 1) ignored or 2) result in him being called a (choose one): racist, cracker, or 'rabid right-wing nut-job.'

A well researched and presented argument is a thing of beauty.
Thank you for the compliment!

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

The matter isn't being clarified by him. He reminds me of the scene in which the pitiful Wizard of Oz made the vain attempt to distract Dorothy and her comrades with smoke and noise after he had been exposed as a fraud. :biggrin1:

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
The matter isn't being clarified by him. He reminds me of the scene in which the pitiful Wizard of Oz made the vain attempt to distract Dorothy and her comrades with smoke and noise after he had been exposed as a fraud. :biggrin1:

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Oh no...Dreamer you were owned. :eek: ...and the Wizard of Oz reference and linking to the Daily Kos again just put a stamp on it.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, the story has had a week or so to get running and then we could see if it has any legs right?

The story is dead, it has no legs. What's next?

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Oh no...Dreamer you were owned. :eek: ...and the Wizard of Oz reference and linking to the Daily Kos again just put a stamp on it.
What we just witnessed is the beauty of the human mind. Even when completely disproven, with solid evidence, and no room for personal interpretation the mind will go into defense mode and will believe only what it is required to support it's belief system.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
You are having some trouble, but that's ok, I'm patient. Fox was not, at any point, ever, in any way, in name or otherwise, part of the litigation that you claim proves they are "dishonest". They simply aren't there.

Do you see the difference between "Fox affiliate" and "bought out"? There is a difference worth parsing. Oddly enough, we can also look at who was sued: not Fox. In fact, Fox's name is only mentioned as being an affiliate (they would have said owner and operator if it were true).

Yes, I saw the difference between a Fox affiliate and "bought out".
Re:the Akre v. Fox dispute: circa 1997, and at the time of the lawsuit, Fox was involved as WTVT was a "bought out" Fox owned and operated station. Fox is mentioned in the pdf's first paragraph, where New W.C.Tampa Inc., d/b/a WTVT is named not as an affiliate of Fox, but a *subsidiary of Fox.

*Where, by definition of subsidiary, Fox owned > 50% of company voting stock.

WTVT, channel 13, is a television station in Tampa, Florida. It is an owned and operated station of the Fox Broadcasting Company

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wouldn't it be great if all the criticism of our lord and savior just evaporated?

Well, he ain't my lord and savior... he's just a man like anybody else and he is also, as a man, prone to making mistakes.

As a liberal he has pissed me off sooooo fucking much since he has been in office. He has pissed me off by IGNORING THE LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES of the Democratic party and is following a much more conservative and moderate approach much to the detriment of his administration.

So, he has bent over backwards to please the likes of you EFM, can you not at least appreciate his efforts at telling the liberals and progressives that they don't have a say in his administration?

Disparagingly comparing him to Jesus seems like a good idea to you?

Fuck Obama, he's a house negro at it's truest meaning.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Yes, I saw the difference between a Fox affiliate and "bought out".
Re:the Akre v. Fox dispute: circa 1997, and at the time of the lawsuit, Fox was involved as WTVT was a "bought out" Fox owned and operated station. Fox is mentioned in the pdf's first paragraph, where New W.C.Tampa Inc., d/b/a WTVT is named not as an affiliate of Fox, but a *subsidiary of Fox.

*Where, by definition of subsidiary, Fox owned > 50% of company voting stock.

Enough for Me has this well in hand but I can probably address this one.

Dreamer, you latched on to an Anti-Fox Story with a lawsuit attached to it to say, hey look how fox lies in their news and the court backed up the plaintiffs but you were completely wrong. The lawsuit does not demonstrate anything negative about Fox that you were hoping to prove. :rolleyes:

First Enough for Me showed that the case was actually overturned. Then showed that Fox News wasn't sued. Now you are arguing about affiliate vs. subsidiary....:rolleyes:.

As you yourself pointed out in your pdf, the case is:
Akre v. New World Communications because in the same paragragh you reference it states:

New World Communications of Tampa, Inc., d/b/a WTVT-TV, a subsidiary of Fox
Television.

Fox Television is different from Fox News Corp.

Now back to the real point of this case so you can stop embarrassing yourself on this matter.

Web sites like the Daily Kos and liberal Groups are touting this mess on the web as anti-fox propaganda but it is actually simply a bunch of deceit. Let's clear it up, shall we...

The journalists in the video who were terminated by New World Communication of Tampa, Inc d/b/a WTVT-TV. The reporters are husband and wife. The story claimed bovine growth hormones were transmitted to humans through milk and caused cancer in humans. New World Communication legal department requested and insisted on these claims being supported with objective proof. Court records reveal the couple failed to properly research or back up their claims and the legal team wisely prevented an irresponsible news story from going forward. In retaliation against their employer, the couple alleged they were coerced to lie. This claim and all others were dismissed by a jury. The jury only upheld a wrongful termination suit based on whistle blower laws that actually did not apply. That decision was reversed on appeal.

These facts still don't prevent sites like the Daily Kos from presenting fabricated Anti-Fox Stories to push their unfounded claims.
Each time the station asked Wilson and Akre to provide supporting documentation for statements in the story or to make changes in the content of the story, the reporters accused the station of attempting to distort the story to favor the manufacturer of BGH.

After a four-week trial, a jury found against Wilson on all of his claims. The trial court directed a verdict against Akre on her breach of contract claim, Akre abandoned her claim for declaratory relief, and the trial court let her whistle-blower claims go to the jury. The jury rejected all of Akre’s claims except her claim that WTVT retaliated against her in response to her threat to disclose the alleged news distortion to the FCC.

(And that was Reversed on Appeal!)
You ran read this in the court's decision for yourself.

FindLaw for Legal Professionals - Case Law, Federal and State Resources, Forms, and Code

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Enough for Me has this well in hand but I can probably address this one.

Dreamer, you latched on to an Anti-Fox Story with a lawsuit attached to it to say, hey look how fox lies in their news and the court backed up the plaintiffs but you were completely wrong. The lawsuit does not demonstrate anything negative about Fox that you were hoping to prove. :rolleyes:

First Enough for Me showed that the case was actually overturned. Then showed that Fox News wasn't sued. Now you are arguing about affiliate vs. subsidiary....:rolleyes:.

Akre v. New World Communications because in the same paragragh you reference it states:

Television.

Fox Television is different from Fox News Corp.

Now back to the real point of this case so you can stop embarrassing yourself on this matter.

Web sites like the Daily Kos and liberal Groups are touting this mess on the web as anti-fox propaganda but it is actually simply a bunch of deceit. Let's clear it up, shall we...

The journalists in the video who were terminated by New World Communication of Tampa, Inc d/b/a WTVT-TV. The reporters are husband and wife. The story claimed bovine growth hormones were transmitted to humans through milk and caused cancer in humans. New World Communication legal department requested and insisted on these claims being supported with objective proof. Court records reveal the couple failed to properly research or back up their claims and the legal team wisely prevented an irresponsible news story from going forward. In retaliation against their employer, the couple alleged they were coerced to lie. This claim and all others were dismissed by a jury. The jury only upheld a wrongful termination suit based on whistle blower laws that actually did not apply. That decision was reversed on appeal.

These facts still don't prevent sites like the Daily Kos from presenting fabricated Anti-Fox Stories to push their unfounded claims.
Each time the station asked Wilson and Akre to provide supporting documentation for statements in the story or to make changes in the content of the story, the reporters accused the station of attempting to distort the story to favor the manufacturer of BGH.

After a four-week trial, a jury found against Wilson on all of his claims. The trial court directed a verdict against Akre on her breach of contract claim, Akre abandoned her claim for declaratory relief, and the trial court let her whistle-blower claims go to the jury. The jury rejected all of Akre’s claims except her claim that WTVT retaliated against her in response to her threat to disclose the alleged news distortion to the FCC.

(And that was Reversed on Appeal!)
You ran read this in the court's decision for yourself.

FindLaw for Legal Professionals - Case Law, Federal and State Resources, Forms, and Code
I get it, you actually believe that Fox is a News organization. That's funny.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Enough for Me showed that the case was actually overturned. Then showed that Fox News wasn't sued. Now you are arguing about affiliate vs. subsidiary....:rolleyes:.

"Fox" was sued.

Television.

Thank you for acknowleging Fox's involvement in this matter.

Fox Broadcasting Company - New World Encyclopedia

The Fox Broadcasting Company (FBC), commonly referred to as Fox (often stylized FOX), is an American television network owned by Fox Entertainment Group, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation. Launched on October 9, 1986http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Broadcasting_Company#cite_note-autogenerated1-1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Broadcasting_Company#cite_note-autogenerated1-1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Broadcasting_Company#cite_note-2

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
"Fox" was sued.

Thank you for acknowleging Fox's involvement in this matter.

Fox Broadcasting Company - New World Encyclopedia

The Fox Broadcasting Company (FBC), commonly referred to as Fox (often stylized FOX), is an American television network owned by Fox Entertainment Group, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation. Launched on October 9, 1986

Wrong again Dreamer. Appears you and the Daily Kos pushing this unfounded claim have been dreaming...

From one of your own sources: Wikapedia p. 10 (Criticism News) Fox Broadcasting Company

The 1997 firing of reporters Jane Akre and Steve Wilson by Fox-owned station WTVT in Tampa, Florida regarding a story on Monsanto and bovine growth hormone, was also controversial, although it did not involve the network directly.