White House gets schooled: Don't mess with Freedom of the Press

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Wrong again Dreamer.

From one of your own sources: Wikapedia p. 10 (Criticism News) Fox Broadcasting Company

^^You're so clever with those mislabeled Hyperlinks of yours.

Fox_TV

^^The link you posted leads to doc.stoc.com. which was not one of my sources.

This is the info found at my Fox Broadcasting Company link under the heading "Criticism":

Fox Broadcasting Company - New World Encyclopedia

In 1997, Fox-owned station WTVT in Tampa, Florida, fired two reporters, Jane Akre and Steve Wilson, who had refused instructions from superiors to revise a story on bovine growth hormone in ways that the reporters saw as being in conflict with the facts, and had threatened to report FOX to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The reporters sued under a Florida whistleblower law. A jury ruled that FOX had indeed ordered the reporters to distort the facts. FOX successfully appealed against judgment on the grounds that its First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and press protected it from such litigation, and that the FCC's policy against distortion of news was not a sufficiently significant rule for its breach to invoke the whistleblower law.[2]

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
^^You're so clever with those mislabeled Hyperlinks of yours.

Fox_TV

^^The link you posted leads to doc.stoc.com. which was not one of my sources.

This is the info found at my Fox Broadcasting Company link under the heading "Criticism":

In 1997, Fox-owned station WTVT in Tampa, Florida, fired two reporters, Jane Akre and Steve Wilson, who had refused instructions from superiors to revise a story on bovine growth hormone in ways that the reporters saw as being in conflict with the facts, and had threatened to report FOX to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The reporters sued under a Florida whistleblower law. A jury ruled that FOX had indeed ordered the reporters to distort the facts. FOX successfully appealed against judgment on the grounds that its First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and press protected it from such litigation, and that the FCC's policy against distortion of news was not a sufficiently significant rule for its breach to invoke the whistleblower law.[2]

It's from your source Wikapedia because Wikapedia on any given day can post anything and anyone can edit it. As the link shows, Wikapedia posted just the opposite of your claim. Oh and the citation source...the backup for the paragraph above is no longer on the cited website. :rolleyes:

All of your assertions have been shot down as well and all your posts shown to be just as irresponsible as the lawsuit you the Daily Kos were touting

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's from your source Wikapedia because Wikapedia on any given day can post anything and anyone can edit it. As the link shows, Wikapedia posted just the opposite of your claim. Oh and the citation source...the backup for the paragraph above is no longer on the cited website. :rolleyes:

All of your assertions have been shot down as well and all your posts shown to be just as irresponsible as the lawsuit you the Daily Kos were touting
I'd be careful questioning other people's sources....I'm just sayin'

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

[2]

^^
Oh and the citation source...the backup for the paragraph above is no longer on the cited website. :rolleyes:

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Re:Footnote#2: Project Censored Media,The Media Can Legally Lie, Retrieved March 15, 2007:
The link is located here:

11. The Media Can Legally Lie | Project Censored

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
^^

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Re:Footnote#2: Project Censored Media,The Media Can Legally Lie, Retrieved March 15, 2007:

Your welcome, however Wikapedia and Project Censored seem to have their facts and perspective wrong according to the St. Petersburg Times...it has been previously pointed out to you that the Jury only initially ruled that the Station retaliated against Akre in her firing under the whistleblower law and that was reversed on appeal. Most important in the original case was that the jury never bought anything that the reporters were peddaling. The jury did not find that the Station forced the reporters to distort the story. :rolleyes:

TAMPA -- Ending a lengthy and often bitter trial, a jury Friday awarded $425,000 to a former WTVT-Ch.13 reporter who claimed the station fired her for threatening to alert federal regulators to a news report she said was slanted.

The jury of three men and three women deliberated nearly six hours before finding that Fox affiliate Channel 13 had retaliated against Jane Akre for a story about a controversial hormone manufactured by the Monsanto Corp.
However, jurors refused to give any money to Akre's husband, Steve Wilson, an Emmy-winning reporter who also worked on the story.
And the jury did not believe the couple's claim that the station bowed to pressure from Monsanto to alter the news report.
By SARAH SCHWEITZER, St. Petersburg Times Aug. 19, 2000

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
*FACE PALM* We're still talking about this?
Footnote#2: Project Censored Media,The Media Can Legally Lie, Retrieved March 15, 2007:

This is a flat out horrible source. Why do you keep posting these non-sense sources? Stop.

Fox_TV

Wikipedia is not a cite-able source. If you do that on a college paper you get an F. It is user controlled content. I could change the entire page to say "Dreamer is wrong". Only users check those pages for veracity, and there is always fights over what is true and what isn't. Try this: use a respectable and objective source. Sometimes this is reporters, most of the time you have to go straight to the documents in question (remember the case I cited? Like that).

Wikipedia clones are also unacceptable. Further, I'm not going to rehash this timeline with you again. We've gone over it, and then went over it again. Oddly enough, who owned the station and when is irrelevant. Which leads me to my next point:

No matter what your cites say, there is absolutely no way for you to win on your original statement.
dreamer20 said:
Faux News: Unfair and Unbalanced:

"In a 2003 lawsuit Fox News admitted that they lie and distort the news:

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Florida Court of Appeals <circa> February 2003 ...FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so."

Now Fox complains that the White House refuses to treat them like a legitimate news outlet.​

Obviously once you admit that you "lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves" you can expect to be viewed as a disreputable "news station" by the White House.

So let us begin:

Fox news admitted that they lie and distort the news? No. You have never provided a single source that proves this true. Not one. The source your blog cites doesn't say that. In fact, the blog just makes a bunch of stuff up.

I linked you the appeals case. You can read it. Don't cite the motion for attorneys fees to me again, it's useless. I have no idea why you keep using it, but you do.

Florida Court of Appeals <circa> February 2003 ...FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media.
- We can all read the case and see that this isn't true. This isn't WVTV's position. I am starting to see that you don't understand what's going on here. Let me help: When you threaten to blow the whistle on an organization for violating the law and that organization fires you because of your threat, you can sue them for wrongful termination. Now, the law that you say the organization violated has to be a real law. You can't use a non-law as your threat. That's like threatening to rat on your company for not using the kind of copy paper you like; then complaining that they fired you over that. It simply isn't actionable. Ironically, WVTV's position directly acknowledges the news falsification policy; a written rule that forbids airing false news.

They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves.
- This appears no where in the case. It is literally made up. There is no response beyond that. It's a lie.

Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so.
- WVTV fought this tooth and nail..in fact THEY APPEALED IT! At no point does WVTV acknowledge they made anything up, or that the news falsification policy allows them to do so. The facts of the case directly disagree with the assertion you wrote.

Obviously once you admit that you "lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves" you can expect to be viewed as a disreputable "news station" by the White House
- See how this is a lie? You claim that "Fox" is lying and is therefore not a legitimate news source, but you have absolutely nothing to base that on. You just made it up. Better yet, it has been proven to you that what you cite is false, and you continue to say that it isn't. Of course the irony here is that you are blatantly lying in your "proof" that Fox News is lying then calling Fox the liar.

Lets turn that critical eye on you for a second. Why do you feel that it's ok to lie? Do you feel justified in attacking others integrity in a dishonest way? If so, how?

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
*FACE PALM* We're still talking about this?

Gee nobody senses a pattern here? The usual troll posts an inane topic and then people dig in on either side with equally retarded conspiracy theories (cross-reference Obama eligibility thread).

Seriously - anyone who thinks Fox News is not shilling for Republicans has a fucking screw loose. The same way Rachel Maddow peddles for the left. Can we just agree to this and call it a day?

And as a point of Constitutional wisdom, the First Amendment doesn't mention anywhere that the White House has to equally love all news networks. Bush and Cheney got to call NY Times reporters "major league assholes" and this administration gets to call Fox out for being right wing hos. Get over it.

Last edited:

chevychas

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
fuck,fox news!!!stupid shit people work there,i think they need a good brain,the daily show is #1,fox people need to learn,be opend mind,dont just kiss assk to republican asshole.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gee nobody senses a pattern here? The usual troll posts an inane topic and then people dig in on either side with equally retarded conspiracy theories (cross-reference Obama eligibility thread).

Seriously - anyone who thinks Fox News is not shilling for Republicans has a fucking screw loose. The same way Rachel Maddow peddles for the left. Can we just agree to this and call it a day?
Inane topic? Equally retarded conspiracy theories? WTF are you talking about?

The only conspiracy going on here is the leftists who can't accept that Fox is legitimate. We can post the studies that show the network news sources are far more biased than Fox....or better yet you can go back a couple pages and read them for yourself.

If you're going to continue to post like you've been doing, he res a suggestion: DON'T READ THIS THREAD. There is no magic to it, just don't check back, k?

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

And as a point of Constitutional wisdom, the First Amendment doesn't mention anywhere that the White House has to equally love all news networks. Bush and Cheney got to call NY Times reporters "major league assholes" and this administration gets to call Fox out for being right wing hos. Get over it.

You're making too much sense for this website.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You're making too much sense for this website.
Incredible, again.

We just posted the studies that say that Fox is more balanced that any other news network.....but that doesn't matter, right? I mean, we've got an axe to grind and by god we're going to grind it come hell or high water.

It's sad that people don't question their own integrity more.