White House visitor logs [declared] public

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dong20

Gold Member

Shame it's an AP source.

WASHINGTON (AP) - White House visitor logs are public documents, a federal judge ruled Monday, rejecting a legal strategy that the Bush administration had hoped would get around public records laws. The ruling is a blow to the Bush administration, which is fighting the release of records showing visits by lobbyist Jack Abramoff and prominent religious conservatives. (inc Falwell)

My bold.

This has been a simmering issue for some while. It's quite clear what weeds the foliage was seeking to hide in the above context. I doubt that would be news to many of course but I do wonder what other nuggets may emerge.

Perhaps Osama is kipping in the copy shop as I write this.

Judge: White House logs are public - Yahoo! News

Judge: White House Logs Are Public | World Latest | Guardian Unlimited

2. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Solicitor General of the United States: Sorry your honor, those logs were inadvetently destroyed while shuffling some papers around.

3. dong20

Gold Member

His Honour: "Oh dear. Now, resign your office, proceed straight to jail, do not pass further unconstitutional legislation, nor collect more Tax $ to waste on unjustified, futile, overseas wars."

:smile:

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Bless ya for beating me to it, posting this thread, dong20.

Sadly enough, though, this "decision" is like so many other made by our weasly judiciary in the last couple of years - the judge makes the right decision (reluctantly) but in the very same breath, stays his own decision.

"Those are public documents, Mr. President; you have until close of business tomorrow to hand them over" would be correct. What actually happens is "Those are public documents, Mr. President, but you don't have to hand them over any time soon" is what was actually handed down.

It's just exactly like the whole "same-gender marriage" issue in the state of Maryland. It got dragged through to the highest court, at which time the decision was "We do find that denial of equal marriage rights defies the state constitution; however, we will not require marriage equality at this time. This decision will be deferred for one year, in order to give the state time to amend the constitution."

Forgive me for being naive, but it seems to me that the same standards should apply to the state: if it's illegal, it's just fucking illegal, and should be remedied IMMEDIATELY. I'm sure that if the government discovered that I had an "illegal still," they would destroy it and arrest me on the spot, not give me a year to cease and desist.

If those documents are public property, the White House should hand them over, now... not "in 20 days."

5. dong20

Gold Member

Decent forgery takes time, DC. :rolleyes:

I did post this partly because I know it's a subject close to your heart, but mostly because I wholeheartedly agree with its premise. I wonder if he will appeal? :smile:

6. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

So, what courses of action remain for the public and their democratically elected officials during this sad, demoralizing time in this country?

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

MBetc, if we lowly citizens stay within the "free speech zones," there are no courses of action.

Honestly, I've been meaning to post a few politically-inspired threads in Etc for several weeks now, but every day, I'm just inundated with what my partner and I call "the daily outrages." There is so much shit going on in Washington, much of it illegal, that I just can't keep up.

8. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

We do have some BUSY people there! Only the tips of the ice-bergs get exposed, and even then our citizens are too distracted by the importance of seasonal shopping and sporting events to pay attention.

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

You got that right. You know, I thought it was sad that Sean Taylor got murdered. I thought it was outrageous and disgusting that it took up 80% of the front page of the Washington Post, every day, for two weeks.

It's a good thing for the crooks that most of the sheeple have an exceptionally short attention span.

10. SteveHd

Gold Member

Dong, why did you say it was a "shame" that it was an A.P. source?

11. dong20

Gold Member

It was rather tongue in cheek, but I've sometimes found AP to be...how shall I put this? - "falling somewhat short of the bleeding edge of journalistic integrity, accuracy, impartialilty and integrity" a tad more often than some other international press associations.

Still, it's been a while since I compared notes, and the last particular incidence of AP's less than stellar journalistic standards I can recall offhand would be the faked Beirut photos - so I'm open to consideration that by now I could be a little off base in that assesment.

Not that I hold all the other PAs in such high esteem of course, merely a little less contempt.:smile:

12. SteveHd

Gold Member

Dong, we basically agree except I don't differentiate that much between them and the others.

The Beirut photos was an odd mention. It seems they were sourced to Reuters.:smile:

13. dong20

Gold Member

Yes, they were, I recall the thread I posted. But there were more. I can't recall where I was reading about them. I know it's a bit lame but a quick google about AP and photo fakes turned up this 'interesting' page.

boortz.com: Nealz Nuze August 09, 2006

If I can find the original article I'll post a link. But it was a while back. It's not I think they're in a league of 'dodginess' all of their own, they just seem to be associated with questionable stories a tad more often than others. Or, perhaps I simply 'notice' it more because of some of their previous higher profile indiscretions.

14. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

So, the fire next to Cheney's office today... could that be the room where the logs were kept?

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mr Solicitor general: Take this pardon as a gift from me and get out of jail free.

- GWB

16. dong20

Gold Member

GWB: Mr. Bin Laden, it's been a blast but get out of my copy shop or shave off that beard and get to work forging these darned logs. If you keep quiet I may find you a job in my library. It will be our little secret, well and Dick's too of course, and Donald... Oh crap! - I hope this get out of jail free card is renewable.

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

How many times have I told you to stop reading my mind!?!?!

Draft saved Draft deleted