White nationalism

avantgarde

Experimental Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
That's a good question. You are not reading my posts. I never said that HBCUs (or any school, minority-founded or not) never had a history and never will. I said that no school has a history at the time it is founded. That's not a difficult concept. Before it was founded, it didn't exist, and something that does not exist cannot have a history. A HBCU does not start out as a HBCU - it becomes "historically" over time.

OHHHHHH ok, i see. yea HBCU isn't an old term. it wasn't used when they were formed. They were just Landgrant schools or vocational institutions or colleges that were predominantly black at the time. HBCU wasn't used until late 1970s early 80s. They weren't initially considered "historic" at all. I understand what you're saying. We're eye to eye now.

as far as Affirmative Action, i think there's a misconception about what Affirmative Action really does. It allows ALL minorities the ability to get work. Believe it or not, women (in particular, white women) are also a minority. Affirmative Action does as much or More for women in general than it does for blacks as a whole.

If you said that in a previous post i'm sorry for missing it.

When it becomes unnecessary is when everyone can be looked at as a human with capabilities matching or exceeding his or her job requirements. Not what college they could afford to go to, not their families last name, not their gender, and definitely not their race.

What's sad is i know a guy who honestly believes that a woman could not, and SHOULD not run a large corporation or even a Country. He's completely serious when he says stuff like this. This mentality is still alive and as long as it's still alive, there's measures in place to counteract it.

What NEEDS to happen in something different. I wish i could remember who said this but, "What is truly insane is to fail, do the same thing over again, and expect a different outcome." We have to come to a functioning conclusion. Laws limiting us in what we do cause people to get upset. I don't think America will ever get over our racial issues, that's why W.E.B. DuBois left the U.S. later in his life.:frown1:

Media
DC Deep, are you against the continued existence of Educational Institutions which were originally founded to serve a specific group?

Clearly illustrating that you understand the history of such Educational Institutions- you may not argue that a consequence of supporting the existence of these Educational Institutions is that their should similarly be "White Only Schools". Again, as you know most institutions of Higher Education legally excluded most Non-White, Female, Non-Protestant, individuals, before they legally forced to include them.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My point is, when it was founded, there were no other options for a college-bound black male. That is no longer the case. I think it is disingenuous for a man to select one college as his first choice, then claim that another college is discriminating against him.
I agree. You can't predetermine discrimination upon one's self. Especially when you haven't given yourself the chance to discriminated against.
I have said repeatedly that 60 years ago, the climate was very different, as were the options for college-bound minority students. That climate (legislated segregation) is not the case today. You repeatedly imply that I'm saying it's no different now than it was before those laws were repealed. YES, I UNDERSTAND THAT IN THE PAST, THERE WERE LAWS ON THE BOOKS THAT PREVENTED MINORITY STUDENTS FROM ATTENDING MAJORITY SCHOOLS. TO THE BEST OF MY UNDERSTANDING, NEITHER FEDERAL NOR STATE LAWS STILL PERMIT THAT TYPE OF SEGREGATION. IN FACT, THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND ALL 50 STATES PROHIBIT IT.
If they don't apply to a school, how do they know whether it wants them or not?
After reading your response to avant, I lead myself to believe that I misunderstood what you were saying. It was not clear to me, at first.
Yes, they did make names for themselves without relying upon affirmative action. I do know that for a fact. My undergraduate degree is in music education, and we had many scholarship students of several different ethnicities, based upon their talents, not upon their skin color. And yes, they were talented. Our head of the music department, and the director of bands, both wanted excellence. They recruited talent, not quotas.Yes, you are wrong. I've tried to make my position quite clear, but you seem unable to grasp it. I know you are not that dense. The percentages of hard-working vs. lazy are most likely about equal among the Crackers and the Negroes (or the Asians or Latinos, for that matter.)
Well, I wont deny that was the specific case at your school. I'm glad.
And your parenthetical "with the exception of the 3 or 4 you knew" is condescending, insulting, snide, and uncalled-for.
It is, it was, and I apologize. :wink:
Yes, you really do need to get out of whatever part of the country you are in. Racism exists, but is not the "harsh reality in the work place" everywhere. Perhaps where you are, but not everywhere.
I'm in North Carolina...the home of institutionalized racism. :biggrin1:

NC is one of the most racist, yet most un-racist places, I've ever been. Not classifying everyone into one category, the heart of the racism lies behind the veil in the cornerstones of the workplace here. People will say one thing in your face, and mean another when you're not there.

Fortunately, in the youth, it is not so bad...most of us will joke on ourselves. In fact, last night in a rehearsal me and another guy (who was White) were seated in a corner for the duration. At the end of the rehearsal, we had a separate rehearsal just for our parts and the guy said, "How come we were put in the corner for the whole rehearsal! That wasn't right...it's because we're Black isn't it!" and we burst out in laughter.

Great times.
Yes, you are... or at least it seems that way...I'm not ignoring it. If I concede your point that AA is necessary, will you tell me at what point will it [become] unnecessary? On this forum, and in real life, I speak out against discrimination, regardless of its basis. Gender, sexual orientation, race, religion... I don't tolerate it around me. My whole point is that giving special consideration to an applicant of any kind, for any minority status, perpetuates the problem rather than alleviating it. Are you aware that many schools publish admissions statistics? I think that's where many of the discrepancies will become apparent. I think the schools should go one step further, and also publish statistics on applicant's who were not admitted. Those schools which show obvious discriminatory admissions practices should lose all government funding until the problem is remedied. Don't you think that would be a much better system? The schools and workplaces (excluding private ones, of course) should be forced to demonstrate admissions and hiring based on merit, and nothing more.
That's an excellent solution. So when are you running for President?
What's sad is i know a guy who honestly believes that a woman could not, and SHOULD not run a large corporation or even a Country. He's completely serious when he says stuff like this. This mentality is still alive and as long as it's still alive, there's measures in place to counteract it.

What NEEDS to happen in something different. I wish i could remember who said this but, "What is truly insane is to fail, do the same thing over again, and expect a different outcome." We have to come to a functioning conclusion. Laws limiting us in what we do cause people to get upset. I don't think America will ever get over our racial issues, that's why W.E.B. DuBois left the U.S. later in his life.:frown1:
I agree...I think if things don't improve much when I get older that I'm moving to either Brazil or Japan. Maybe Argentina. >_>
Hey, I have an idea! Let's put Jesse Jackson (black racist), Al Sharpton (black racist), Louis Farrakhan (black uber-racist) in a locked room with David Duke (white racist), Don Black (white racist) and Robert Jay Matthews (white racist). Force 'em to fuck each others' brains out until they realize just how stupid they are.
Oh THAT would be a laugh. I'd pay to see that.

Ahh...who am I kidding. I'd just pull it up on Xtube. :cool:

Media
I agree. You can't predetermine discrimination upon one's self. Especially when you haven't given yourself the chance to discriminated against.

This point escapes me! How can one prove that a African American Male selecting Moorehouse as his first choice is predicated upon a belief that he will be discriminated against at another Educational Institution, rather than his simple preference for the Moorehouse Curriculum, when compared to the Curriculum of NYU? Even if his preference is informed by his Race, why is this different than a White-Female from Ohio chosing Sarah Lawrence because of an interest in Gender Studies.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I believe what he was trying to say was that if you want to go to Georgia Tech, but don't try to get in you can't say "They are discriminating against me, because I am Black" because you didn't even apply to Georgia Tech, you just said "I'm going to Morehouse".

However, if one's first choice is Morehouse, then your first choice is Morehouse and then case of racism becomes null and void.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC Deep, are you against the continued existence of Educational Institutions which were originally founded to serve a specific group?
That's the second time you have (apparently out of the blue) ascribed meaning in my posts that is just simply not there. Are you on drugs? (Or off them, as the case may be?) Please, just so we are on the same page, which of my posts even hinted that I'm against schools founded to serve a specific group? My unwavering, constant, steadfast line of reasoning in every one of my posts has been that no school should give preferential treatment based upon minority status.
Clearly illustrating that you understand the history of such Educational Institutions- you may not argue that a consequence of supporting the existence of these Educational Institutions is that their should similarly be "White Only Schools". Again, as you know most institutions of Higher Education legally excluded most Non-White, Female, Non-Protestant, individuals, before they legally forced to include them.
Um, I have only stated exactly that same sentiment like, what, 10 times in this thread already? Why are you addressing this to me? I really do not give a flying fuck if only black hindu female midgets choose to go to Podunk U.; it pisses me off, however, if their admissions policy denies admission to non-black hindu female midgets. AND THIS IS ALL PREDICATED UPON THE ASSUMPTION THAT PODUNK U. IS NOT A PRIVATE INSTITUTION. PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS MAY HAVE WHATEVER CRITERIA THEY DESIRE; IF THEY RECEIVE PUBLIC FUNDING, THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE THAT LUXURY.

Well, I wont deny that was the specific case at your school. I'm glad.
I went to a state school, with an excellent faculty and curriculum. The racial ratio was approximately 65% white, 30% black, 5% other. Race relations were excellent (even for a school considered to be "in the south.") I belonged to a professional fraternity (Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia) and an honor/service fraternity (Kappa Kappa Psi). In Kappa Kappa Psi, my senior year, we had 30 members - 12 black, 18 white (obviously slightly skewed from the general student population.) Of those 12, 2 also belonged to Kappa Alpha Psi, and one also belonged to Omega Psi Phi. So, those who longed for more immersive contact with black culture, they had that option. And my black brothers were just exactly that - brothers. I saw them as nothing more, nothing less than brothers and fellow musicians.

Sorry you are living in such a pocket of idiocy (edit: I'm referring to your geographical location. After reading the post, I realized how that may have sounded! I'm with you, and against the WN retards). Remind me to send you a PM some time about my American Government professor. It's some eye-rolling and inspiring stuff!

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think bottom line, people use racism, AA and rich/poor as excuses not to succeed. It gives them an out and a place to focus the anger of their failures away from their own inadequacies, mistakes and lack of gumption.

I am not saying some people do not have more advantages than others, but fucking get over it and be creative and overcome, but most of all get off your ass and try.

"Argue for your limitations and you will own them." - I do not know the author of the quote, but some guy in another forum quoted that some guy told him that when he was young. So I stole it.

Media
That's the second time you have (apparently out of the blue) ascribed meaning in my posts that is just simply not there. Are you on drugs? (Or off them, as the case may be?) Please, just so we are on the same page, which of my posts even hinted that I'm against schools founded to serve a specific group? My unwavering, constant, steadfast line of reasoning in every one of my posts has been that no school should give preferential treatment based upon minority status.Um, I have only stated exactly that same sentiment like, what, 10 times in this thread already? Why are you addressing this to me? I really do not give a flying fuck if only black hindu female midgets choose to go to Podunk U.; it pisses me off, however, if their admissions policy denies admission to non-black hindu female midgets. AND THIS IS ALL PREDICATED UPON THE ASSUMPTION THAT PODUNK U. IS NOT A PRIVATE INSTITUTION. PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS MAY HAVE WHATEVER CRITERIA THEY DESIRE; IF THEY RECEIVE PUBLIC FUNDING, THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE THAT LUXURY.

I went to a state school, with an excellent faculty and curriculum. The racial ratio was approximately 65% white, 30% black, 5% other. Race relations were excellent (even for a school considered to be "in the south.") I belonged to a professional fraternity (Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia) and an honor/service fraternity (Kappa Kappa Psi). In Kappa Kappa Psi, my senior year, we had 30 members - 12 black, 18 white (obviously slightly skewed from the general student population.) Of those 12, 2 also belonged to Kappa Alpha Psi, and one also belonged to Omega Psi Phi. So, those who longed for more immersive contact with black culture, they had that option. And my black brothers were just exactly that - brothers. I saw them as nothing more, nothing less than brothers and fellow musicians.

Sorry you are living in such a pocket of idiocy (edit: I'm referring to your geographical location. After reading the post, I realized how that may have sounded! I'm with you, and against the WN retards). Remind me to send you a PM some time about my American Government professor. It's some eye-rolling and inspiring stuff!

DC Deep, we obviously have divergent notions of what constitutes Merit when it comes to determing who is the ideal student for any given Educational Institution. I don't intend to persuade you to change your mind on this issue, and become a vocal supporter for the expansion of AA programs. I am simply of the mindset that it is possible to consider more than just test scores when determining whom is the best candidate for admission into University. How angry are you DC DEEP, when you think of all the candidates chosen over you because they possess Superior Athletic ability,but lower test scores? What of the legacy admits, or the individuals whom families are able to provide University with Million Dollar endowments- if they have lower test scores than you-aren't they also benificiaries of some form of AA. What of all the less qualifed White Candidates chosen over you, because they come from a geographically under-represented area like Nebraska, when applying to Univeristy in New York. Race is never the only consideration in determing whom is the best, and we fool ourselves into thinking that test scores ought be the singular determinant when admissions officers think of building a student body.

oh well, we can agree to disagree!

musclebutt2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
SNIP Racism exists, but is not the "harsh reality in the work place" everywhere. Perhaps where you are, but not everywhere.Yes, you are... or at least it seems that way...I'm not ignoring it. If I concede your point that AA is necessary, will you tell me at what point will it becom unnecessary? On this forum, and in real life, I speak out against discrimination, regardless of its basis. Gender, sexual orientation, race, religion... I don't tolerate it around me. My whole point is that giving special consideration to an applicant of any kind, for any minority status, perpetuates the problem rather than alleviating it. Are you aware that many schools publish admissions statistics? I think that's where many of the discrepancies will become apparent. I think the schools should go one step further, and also publish statistics on applicant's who were not admitted. Those schools which show obvious discriminatory admissions practices should lose all government funding until the problem is remedied. Don't you think that would be a much better system? The schools and workplaces (excluding private ones, of course) should be forced to demonstrate admissions and hiring based on merit, and nothing more.

DC, I follow your line of reasoning and your argument against Affirmative Action has a certain merit which might be applicable in the future, but not in the present. The playing field as you so call it is not yet equal. Simply desegegrating the workplace and schools does not make the situation equal. 57 years of civil rights is not long enough to equalize the economic and educational disparity of 388 years of slavery (the first recorded African slave in the Americas was in 1619). Even though I bring up slavery specifically, AA is not geared towards Blacks exclusively. Since American social hierarchy is quickly changing to one based on economic income, the question of access to such income is indeed important. To me, Affirmative Action is geared much more towards offsetting the evils of poverty than skin color. Primary public schools in poor districts receive much less funding than public schools in more affluent neighborhoods (i.e. South Central Los Angeles vs. Beverly Hills). This is important because the amount of money a school receives determines not only the basics such as lab equipment, swimming pools or new lockers, but also the quality and currentness of the textbooks, curriculum, and teachers. Add to this the setting of the school, and I would argue that there are less distractions for students at Beverly Hills than in South Central (i.e. the issue of personal safety for instance). These factors in combination would already inherently give the student at Beverly Hills elementary/high school an advantage over students in other school districts; regardless as to whether the students have the same skill set, IQ, parental support, or motivation to work hard. Now, let's take this one step further and discuss the disparity between public and private schools in lower education. Compare the education a student receives at Beverly Hills High School with a private preparatory school such as St. Paul's School in New Hampshire, one of the internationally top ranked boarding schools in this country. The same thing applies here as in the previous comparison. Subsequently, let's compare the education a student from a public school in South Central L.A. receives with that of a student from St. Paul's School Prep, and follow them into the admissions process when they apply to college. Do you see any disparity here? Also, when taking the SAT, how many students from South Central will comprehend questions related to toboggans or skiing (I had those on my SAT)? In this scenario, we are not discussing ability or motivation of students, but purely access to an adequate, much less competitive education when it comes to the musical chair game of college admissions. Parents want the best for their children and if they could afford it, many would send their kids to a college prep boarding school; unfortunately, most families in this country cannot; therefore, there must be some other way to compensate for this cum college admissions. It just so happens that skin color is only a symptom of a larger social ill that AA addresses.

You brought up the point of merit, which is fair enough, no arguments there. However, in the cases of elite higher education (and it is elitist because that's where everybody wants to be), in many instances we are talking about 1300 vs. 1325 SAT scores or 4.10 vs. 4.25 or 4.43 GPA's. All of these applicants are more than qualified and there comes a point when the numbers become meaningless; and at that point it is important to consider what other qualities an applicant can give to the student body. And honestly, being of a different ethnicity than the majority experience is something worthwhile to impart to others. Going back to the first example, what do you think the life experiences of a student from South Central are as opposed to someone who's parents net more than seven figures per year? To give this discussion another facet, if you look at government statistics the majority of people on welfare are white; poor whites make a large part of this country's population. Affirmative Action has helped many poor white families send kids off to college, but of course, this has been conveniently forgotten in the AA debate.

Concerning admissions statistics, I was lucky enough to attend UC Berkeley before the passage of Prop 209 which ended Affirmative Action. Prop 209 passed the CA legislature my junior/senior year with devastating results. CAL has always been known as one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation, and indeed, that is what made being a student there so engrossing and interesting. Beyond it's world class Professors, facilities, eminent history, and proximity to San Francisco, CAL's students were its most important asset. However, after 1996, and the passage of prop 209, the diversity index took a huge plunge. The new entering class lost its percentages of minority students in the double digits, applicants for graduate school saw an overall drop of 18% in minority applicants with Latinos at 27% less than the previous year. The University of California's five medical schools saw a drop of 22% of minority applicants the admissions cycle after Prop 209. As a student, I witnessed first hand the loss of such diversity. The new entering class of freshmen was very white and asian; which has continued to the present day. UC Berkeley was quickly loosing its specialness and becoming another UCI or UCLA.

For comparison, the 1995 UC Berkeley freshman class: 41% Asian, 33% White, 17% Latino, 7% Black, 2% Amerid.

As for the UC Berkeley 2007 freshman class: 41.6% Asian, 29.7% White, 11.7% Latino, 3.9% Filipino, 3.1% Black, 0.5% Amerid.

Affirmative Action is still very relevent today, if not only in education. Until the representation of students in the top schools, as well as people in academia, or corporate executives, government, and so forth mirror the ethnic diversity of this country as a whole, I feel there is a need for AA or something similar.

Sources:
AFTER PROP 209: AFFIRMATIVE ACTION ON THE UC CAMPUSES
Minority Applicant Rate Drops at UC Berkeley, Blame Placed on Prop. 209, * U-Wire, 1/21/99
Asian Students Still Dominate UC Berkeley Demographic - NAM
Affirmative Action At UC Berkeley

EDIT: Mrs. Donna brings up another good point. Student athlete admits, especially for supposed cash cows like football or basketball are a joke. These kids might have athletic ability, but scholastically are dumb as rocks. Primary example: Jason Kidd. I remember numerous times in the tutoring center or dorms when other students did their assignments for them. How is that fair?

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To me, Affirmative Action is geared much more towards offsetting the evils of poverty than skin color.

Then base it on poverty?

Primary public schools in poor districts receive much less funding than public schools in more affluent neighborhoods (i.e. South Central Los Angeles vs. Beverly Hills). This is important because the amount of money a school receives determines not only the basics such as lab equipment, swimming pools or new lockers, but also the quality and currentness of the textbooks, curriculum, and teachers. Add to this the setting of the school, and I would argue that there are less distractions for students at Beverly Hills than in South Central (i.e. the issue of personal safety for instance). These factors in combination would already inherently give the student at Beverly Hills elementary/high school an advantage over students in other school districts; regardless as to whether the students have the same skill set, IQ, parental support, or motivation to work hard.

This was talked about in our city and it was all bull shit. The big fight was that more of the states tax dollars were going to a "rich" district that did not want to be annexed by the city. After months of debate it was finally made clear that total tax dollars per kid in poor neighborhoods was much higher due to federal grants. Also their class size was an avereage of 17 versus 24. So what ever numbers they are playing with are problably not true.

Now, let's take this one step further and discuss the disparity between public and private schools in lower education. Compare the education a student receives at Beverly Hills High School with a private preparatory school such as St. Paul's School in New Hampshire, one of the internationally top ranked boarding schools in this country.

Give them vouchers and let them go where they want, public or private.

Also, when taking the SAT, how many students from South Central will comprehend questions related to toboggans or skiing (I had those on my SAT)?

Elitist thinking.

Parents want the best for their children and if they could afford it, many would send their kids to a college prep boarding school; unfortunately, most families in this country cannot;

I would venture to say that 95% of the parents in America would not want to send their kids to a boarding school regardless of price.

You brought up the point of merit, which is fair enough, no arguments there. However, in the cases of elite higher education (and it is elitist because that's where everybody wants to be), in many instances we are talking about 1300 vs. 1325 SAT scores or 4.10 vs. 4.25 or 4.43 GPA's. All of these applicants are more than qualified and there comes a point when the numbers become meaningless; and at that point it is important to consider what other qualities an applicant can give to the student body.

You need to read some Thomas Sowell, he has written extensively on how blacks have been recruited to go to more competitive schools through AA or admission policies for diversity and drop out at a much higher rate that they should be. Not to mention they would flourish at a school that is a little less competitive, instead they end up with no degree.

And honestly, being of a different ethnicity than the majority experience is something worthwhile to impart to others. Going back to the first example, what do you think the life experiences of a student from South Central are as opposed to someone who's parents net more than seven figures per year?

What I would like to teach my children is that life is very easy if you do things in the right order. Hard work and delayed gratification is key. Hopefully they will never understand the real hardships some of these kids endure.

To give this discussion another facet, if you look at government statistics the majority of people on welfare are white; poor whites make a large part of this country's population. Affirmative Action has helped many poor white families send kids off to college, but of course, this has been conveniently forgotten in the AA debate.

I would like to see the statistics and break down between whites and minorities recieving benefits and poverty. I also would like to see stats on disability payments (SSI), section 8, AFDC etc. Many of the these payments are not considered wellfare.

I am sure many in rural Nebraska and South Dakota would be considered poor. In 1989, I worked with a guy in SD, he was 40 y/o or more. He worked at a retail store and he made about $7.50 per hour. He has a house and 3 or 4 kids. Lived well, happy and was a good guy. He paid $13,500 for his house.

EDIT: Mrs. Donna brings up another good point. Student athlete admits, especially for supposed cash cows like football or basketball are a joke. These kids might have athletic ability, but scholastically are dumb as rocks. Primary example: Jason Kidd. I remember numerous times in the tutoring center or dorms when other students did their assignments for them. How is that fair?

I played college football and I can tell you that everyone I played with in at least 2 classes that I knew personally graduated. Are there guys like you described, yes, but to really be good, most people have to work hard and that is at least one aspect of being able to get a degree and I bet they have just as good of chance of gradating as anyone. Btw, many good looking guys can get girls to do their home work for them, they do not have to be athletes.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

I am familiar with all of those organizations. We have both at NC A&T's campus. :biggrin1:

Yeah, I'm sorry I'm living here too. But I can complain about it or do something about it. I prefer to enact the latter option and I am making plans to move next fall. And please, send me the info. I like to learn and to read, so I'd be delighted to absorb any info you're willing to give. :wink:
I think bottom line, people use racism, AA and rich/poor as excuses not to succeed. It gives them an out and a place to focus the anger of their failures away from their own inadequacies, mistakes and lack of gumption.
How horrible that you should think that way.
I am not saying some people do not have more advantages than others, but fucking get over it and be creative and overcome, but most of all get off your ass and try.
You must not understand at all what it's like to be on the other side of the fence. Black and White aside, people are born into situations that they do not choose. They are educated through a life that they did not plan out for themselves. Pardon them all for being born in a lifestyle that did not encourage them to inherit their parents businesses and/or business practices and being able to succeed in a capitalist society that rewards others for succeeding in stepping on the heads, hands, and feet of those beneath them.
"Argue for your limitations and you will own them." - I do not know the author of the quote, but some guy in another forum quoted that some guy told him that when he was young. So I stole it.
Interesting. And what does that quote mean to you?
Give them vouchers and let them go where they want, public or private.
Yes. That is the answer. Throw money at it. That solves all problems.
You need to read some Thomas Sowell, he has written extensively on how blacks have been recruited to go to more competitive schools through AA or admission policies for diversity and drop out at a much higher rate that they should be. Not to mention they would flourish at a school that is a little less competitive, instead they end up with no degree.
Do you believe it was because they were not competent enough to matriculate through the system or because they were in an unfamiliar environment that did nothing to ease the transition between the two?
What I would like to teach my children is that life is very easy if you do things in the right order. Hard work and delayed gratification is key. Hopefully they will never understand the real hardships some of these kids endure.
Good. Teach them good ethic practices as well and that they do not have to knock down the next man to succeed as well.
I would like to see the statistics and break down between whites and minorities recieving benefits and poverty. I also would like to see stats on disability payments (SSI), section 8, AFDC etc. Many of the these payments are not considered wellfare.
Like I mentioned before. The only color in this country that matters is green.

IF I'm not mistaken, quantitatively there are actually more White people in this country impoverished than any particular minority group. Which is why I said, if you're thinking about Black/White/Brown/Yellow/Red/Purple/Orange/Blue or hell, even Indigo. Then your thinking is antiquated.

You shouldn't be thinking about Black vs. White on any issue. The fact of the matter is that this country penalizes you for not having and rewards you for taking from those who do not have to begin with.
I am sure many in rural Nebraska and South Dakota would be considered poor. In 1989, I worked with a guy in SD, he was 40 y/o or more. He worked at a retail store and he made about $7.50 per hour. He has a house and 3 or 4 kids. Lived well, happy and was a good guy. He paid $13,500 for his house.
And when you live in rural Nebraska/South Dakota where the cost of living is that much lower, then that's great. Surely you jest, if you believe that impoverished families from inner cities can move their livelihood to these places or even have the monetary means to consider it. Unless you're going to pay for them to do it...or write to your senator to suggest that be the remedy to all poverty in the cities.

However at this time, I cannot fathom whether or not it is practical or not.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
*stands back and watches*

Musclebutt broke it down very well.

Playa:
Aggie Pride!!:laughing:

Indeed he did. He took the time to explain in great detail what I've grown tired of trying to say here because ultimately you're talkin to the wind. You can explain to these "I'm not a racist but..." types till you're blue in the face and they just can't get the reasoning.

Take for example, this "give them vouchers and let them go where they want" bullshit. Conservatives offer that up as a solution for all students (and parents) wanting a better education. What it really means is that people who would leave the public schools but who can't would be better enabled to desert them. What's the problem with that?

Private and parochial schools can pick and choose who they want to admit, and who they don't, and you know who's most likely going to be left out. And since the vouchers will be supplemented by state or federal money, then all those people who bitch and moan about "welfare" and "people on the dole" will be able to squirrel away their kids in private schools, away for the "undesirables" on the dol... er, taxpayer's dime.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You must not understand at all what it's like to be on the other side of the fence. Black and White aside, people are born into situations that they do not choose. They are educated through a life that they did not plan out for themselves. Pardon them all for being born in a lifestyle that did not encourage them to inherit their parents businesses...
Exactly the points I have been making. Where & when I went to public school, we really didn't have much other than white and black students, so the other "races" didn't really figure into the equations. My parents were divorced just about the time I started second grade. Mom received minimal child support, sometimes irregularly, but never went on public assistance. She supported 5 children pretty much on her own. So, we were one of the "poor" families. She would have beaten me half to death if I EVER used that as an excuse not to do well, though. So, there were families, white & black, who were more affluent than we were, and families who were less affluent. Mom could not afford to give any of us an allowance, so any spending money, we had to earn. I shudder to think how many tons of grass I sacrificed to save up money to go to summer camp. I could not have afforded to go to college if I had not kept my grades up for my scholarship, and worked the 11 pm to 7 am shift at a convenience store. It did annoy me a bit that some, who didn't have to work quite as hard, got preferential treatment based solely on minority status.
<...>
You shouldn't be thinking about Black vs. White on any issue. The fact of the matter is that this country penalizes you for not having and rewards you for taking from those who do not have to begin with.
Quoted for emphasis!
<...>
Take for example, this "give them vouchers and let them go where they want" bullshit. Conservatives offer that up as a solution for all students (and parents) wanting a better education. What it really means is that people who would leave the public schools but who can't would be better enabled to desert them. What's the problem with that?
Only an idiot thinks that vouchers would even remotely resemble a solution to any problem. The only thing it would do is take even more money from the cash-strapped, poorly-managed public schools and cause them to fold entirely. I pay my taxes that are supposed to fund public schools. It makes me angry for anyone to suggest that my tax dollars be used to pay tuition at a private school. Of course, the public schools can teach until they are blue in the face, but it still will not educate a child who is unwilling to learn.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Playa,

I have to tell you, I can see your excuses a mile a way. I said nothing more than apply yourself and now I am a conservative that is natuarally a racist? Nice, way to conduct a conversation.

I think people are racists that think people natuarally have limitations that some how they do not posess. I lived in the inner city until I was 5, we left our 2 bedroom upper flat with my 5 brothers and sisters. So rich, I do not think so. I am sure you would consider me rich now.

What is your excuse?

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Indeed he did. He took the time to explain in great detail what I've grown tired of trying to say here because ultimately you're talkin to the wind. You can explain to these "I'm not a racist but..." types till you're blue in the face and they just can't get the reasoning.

Private and parochial schools can pick and choose who they want to admit, and who they don't, and you know who's most likely going to be left out. And since the vouchers will be supplemented by state or federal money, then all those people who bitch and moan about "welfare" and "people on the dole" will be able to squirrel away their kids in private schools, away for the "undesirables" on the dol... er, taxpayer's dime.

In our city, you can go to any school you want to. We actually recruit from the bad parts of town. We get good kids. Do you know why? Because their parents care enough to send them to a better school and they make sure the kids try. Bottom line it is not the kids it is the fucked up parents (notice no race is envolved in any of my statements).

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Exactly the points I have been making. Where & when I went to public school, we really didn't have much other than white and black students, so the other "races" didn't really figure into the equations. My parents were divorced just about the time I started second grade. Mom received minimal child support, sometimes irregularly, but never went on public assistance. She supported 5 children pretty much on her own. So, we were one of the "poor" families. She would have beaten me half to death if I EVER used that as an excuse not to do well, though. So, there were families, white & black, who were more affluent than we were, and families who were less affluent. Mom could not afford to give any of us an allowance, so any spending money, we had to earn. I shudder to think how many tons of grass I sacrificed to save up money to go to summer camp. I could not have afforded to go to college if I had not kept my grades up for my scholarship, and worked the 11 pm to 7 am shift at a convenience store. It did annoy me a bit that some, who didn't have to work quite as hard, got preferential treatment based solely on minority status.Quoted for emphasis!Only an idiot thinks that vouchers would even remotely resemble a solution to any problem. The only thing it would do is take even more money from the cash-strapped, poorly-managed public schools and cause them to fold entirely. I pay my taxes that are supposed to fund public schools. It makes me angry for anyone to suggest that my tax dollars be used to pay tuition at a private school. Of course, the public schools can teach until they are blue in the face, but it still will not educate a child who is unwilling to learn.

DC,

You are saying I do not understand the plight of poor people, my story is not much different than yours except my parents stayed married. Only an egotistical "idoit" would assume that their upbringing or childhood was worse than someone else's with out knowing a thing about them.

The difference you and I have that many people rich or poor and of any race is, our parents instilled a work ethic and demanded more of us. I suggest that this is not the case for many kids today.

The other difference is that I would never allow my self to be in a position where people are placed above me for any other reason other than they earned it. I could never work for any type of large corporation or government where nepetism and the peter principle are rampant. This one reason I loved sports, if you are good they have to play you regardless of rich poor, black or white.

As far as paying your taxes, blah blah blah. You would rather pay $7500.00 at a crappy public school or $5000.00 at a good private school?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC,

You are saying I do not understand the plight of poor people, my story is not much different than yours except my parents stayed married. Only an egotistical "idoit" would assume that their upbringing or childhood was worse than someone else's with out knowing a thing about them.

The difference you and I have than many people rich or poor and of any race is, our parents instilled a work ethic and demanded more of us. I suggest that this not the case for many kids today.

As far as paying your taxes, blah blah. You would rather pay $7500.00 at a crappy public school or $5000.00 at a good private school?
You are playing the same shitty game with me again, and it won't fly. I did NOT say you didn't "understand the plight of poor people." I never compared my childhood to yours. Can you stop being such an asshole for just a moment, and actually read my posts before you (incorrectly) respond to them?

And as for your comments on vouchers? Blah blah blah you want someone else to fund your education at a private school? Fuck off. The solution is to get rid of poor management in the public schools, not to give them more or less money.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are playing the same shitty game with me again, and it won't fly. I did NOT say you didn't "understand the plight of poor people." I never compared my childhood to yours. Can you stop being such an asshole for just a moment, and actually read my posts before you (incorrectly) respond to them?

And as for your comments on vouchers? Blah blah blah you want someone else to fund your education at a private school? Fuck off. The solution is to get rid of poor management in the public schools, not to give them more or less money.

DC you must be confusing me with some one else, I have posted several agreements with you. Frankly, I could give two shits about the colleges you talked about. Unless you are getting a trade type degree, college is mostly worthless.

So who is the asshole? It seems you have a chip on your shoulder and think everyone has it easier and better than you.