Whitney's Return

Tank30

Expert Member
Media
I like it. Yeah, her voice does not sound like it was when she was younger. It never will again. You have to get use to that fact. But she still sounds good. The album is more upbeat then I thought it would be. I"m glad the whole album is not overly trendy. If the whole album was like the crappy computerized warped voice sound of trendy r/b hip hop. I would hate it.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just can't follow her anymore. I still see the missing teeth and lack of wig gal yealling for Bobby. For me, she can't recover from the trash bin days

nubian

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I really like the new album. Sure, she doesn't sound the same at 46 as she did at 21, but that is to be expected. Some of the songs aren't that great, but some are really good showcases for her voice and for the use of her soulful lower register in a way that I think shows more feeling than some previous records.

She's not hitting high notes every five seconds like on the Bodyguard soundtrack, but she can still hit them and does on a few songs.

A more subdued Whitney than in the past, but one who can still sing circles around most of whats on Top 40 right now.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree. Most of her songs are love songs too, and what's very intriguing is that she has said that she has never been in love before.

Lucky her. (I have read her interviews in a couple of songwriting magazines saying the same thing. She has never been in love.)

Diane Warren writes some amazing things. She owns her publishing company. Who needs love when you write hit songs and are making lots of money worldwide on the royalties? All I can say is she is lucky. :smile:

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lucky her. (I have read her interviews in a couple of songwriting magazines saying the same thing. She has never been in love.)

Diane Warren writes some amazing things. She owns her publishing company. Who needs love when you write hit songs and are making lots of money worldwide on the royalties? All I can say is she is lucky. :smile:

I agree. I wish I could write songs like her, lol. I've never been in love either, and I honestly probably never will be, lol. I'm not a very lovey dovey person.

Tank30

Expert Member
Media
Come to think of it, now that Virgin is closed where does anyone even buy cd's in NYC anymore?

Yeah, I know I was upset when they closed Virgin Mega Store. As well as when they closed Tower Records. I guess there are not many of us old schoolers out there left, who actually like going out and buying cds and stuff. I still can't get into downloading and mp players and all that.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, I know I was upset when they closed Virgin Mega Store. As well as when they closed Tower Records. I guess there are not many of us old schoolers out there left, who actually like going out and buying cds and stuff. I still can't get into downloading and mp players and all that.

I know I still play lps. At least Morrissey has the good sense to still release lps!

D

deleted15807

I feel sorry for the singers in that as they age they tend to lose the vocal prowess of youth. It's like when they were young they had their vocal 'Olympic moment' that shall never happen again. Athletes are not expected to perform the same 20 years later.

Whitney's Olympic moment could arguably be when she sang 'One Moment In Time' at the Grammy Awards.

One Moment In Time(Grammy Awards Live)

S

superbot

Oh dear,does this mean that she's going to shout/sing at us all over again?!...