Whiz Chimps Outsmart College Students

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Italian1, Dec 3, 2007.

1. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

Whiz Chimps Outsmart College Students
    Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Dec. 3, 2007 -- Three five-year-old chimpanzees have soundly defeated nine university students while playing a computer game that tests numerical memory skills, according to a paper published today in Current Biology.

The scores weren't even close. One young chimp named Ayumu who, in his off time, buys his own vending machine snacks, scored 76 percent correct in one game. The adult human average for the same game was 36 percent correct.

The study is one of the first to demonstrate that, at least under certain circumstances, chimp memory may be superior to that of humans.

"No human adults reached Ayumu's level," co-author Tetsuro Matsuzawa told Discovery News.

"The young chimpanzees are better than human adults in a memory task," agreed Matsuzawa, who collaborated with Sana Inoue on the paper and is the director of Kyoto University's Primate Research Institute. "Young chimpanzees quickly grasp many numerals at a glance, with no decline in performance as the hold duration is varied."

Matsuzawa was referring to the game, which functioned like the popular card match memory games on many home computers.

In this case, however, the three young chimp players (and their mothers), along with the human students, were each shown a series of numbers from 1 to 9 on the screen. The numbers were then replaced by blank squares, which the players had to touch based on their knowledge of numerical sequences. For example, if the numbers 2,3,5,8 and 9 appeared on the screen, the player had to touch the corresponding blank squares in that order.

What confused the human players was the length of time that the numbers first appeared on the screen. The shorter the duration, the worse they scored.

"Ayumu's performance was kept constant regardless of the duration of looking at the numerals," said Matsuzawa, who even failed to stump the chimp when he flashed five numbers for just 210 milliseconds.

The mother chimps and the adult humans all played worse than the young chimpanzees, likely because of a phenomenon called "eidetic imagery."

He explained that this is "a special memory capability to retain an accurate, detailed image of a complex scene or pattern." Many normal human children have the skill, which declines with age.

While chimps in the wild obviously aren't playing computer games, they use the same skills to assess numbers of fruits ripening on trees, hierarchical positions within their troops, and to evaluate locations and numbers of enemies "in the bush at a glance."

Matsuzawa theorizes there is a mental trade-off between memory and symbolization -- especially as it relates to language -- in humans. This may cause the apparent memory lapses later.

James Anderson, a member of the Scottish Primate Research Group at the University of Stirling, told Discovery News that the new research "is impressive on several levels."

"Of course there is the striking finding that immature chimpanzees outperform both adult chimpanzees and adult humans in the numerical sequence task," Anderson said. "This naturally leads us to speculate on the development of the cognitive abilities involved in this task, in terms not only of individual development but also species-typical abilities."

Anderson added that the study is also an "excellent example of how good laboratory-based experiments can reveal abilities that would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to uncover through purely observational studies."

Discovery News : Discovery Channel

2. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

That is really funny but is true sometimes animals can be smarter than humans.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

3. simcha

Gold Member

Yeah, um working with College-aged humans it's easier to believe that chimpanzees are smarter...

4. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I'd like to know what university those students were attending. Maybe they were partying the night before. :banana::beerchug:

5. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

This dont surprised me . Animals often behave better than humans and sometimes act smarter.

6. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

7. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

If the chimps are so smart, why are they back in their cages?

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

It would also be interesting to know what majors these university students had. That can make a difference, to a degree. I'd be interested to see what would happen if they took university math professors and put them up against the chimps. I can easily agree that there are probably many animals that have intelligences beyond that of humans, so I'm not arguing that point. I would just be interested to see what further testing could reveal.

9. B_Fire-3

B_Fire-3 New Member

That artsy kids are dumb?

10. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    :eek: That wasn't nice the way they tricked them.

11. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Not worry the time of their rebellion soon will come .:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Would a chimp remember where I left my car keys and wallet last night?

13. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

It could be. It seems that chimps got a very good memory.

14. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

Their parents paid for their college education only to be outwitted by a chimp.

I know. French kissing a chimp. Ugh!

I'm fascinated with primates. They are very intelligent and one step away from being human. I saw this program on capuchin monkeys and how they train them to live with paralyzed people. The one they profiled answers the door and if the phone rings he brings it to the man. And he can put food in the microwave oven. It showed him put some popcorn in the microwave, a DVD in the player, and then he cuddled with the man and they ate popcorn and watched a movie together. It was the cutest thing. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted