Who are your heros?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Marazion Analdouche, Jun 4, 2008.

1. D_Marazion Analdouche

They can be anyone, relative, public figure, artist, who has greatly influenced your life?

I look up to and respect a lot of people throughout history and people of the modern day. People that have great work ethic or ideals they stick by, or people that have face various types of adversity and rose to the occasion and pushed through it. I have a way to many to list them all, a good portion of them are soldiers from various wars. Being a veteran I can very much respect what so many before me accomplished. There are very few well done "war movies" that don't make me start crying like a baby.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched "Band of Brothers", "We were soldiers" etc. There others, like in my Sig, Charles Bukowski for his blunt way with words. Martin Luther King for obvious reasons, Cal Ripken Jr, the list goes on.

The biggest hero and influence in my life however was my father by far. He never made a ton of money but always provided for us and was able to make sure his kids could have choices when they grew up. I owe a lot of what I've accomplished in life to him.

He was always firm but was also kind hearted when needed. No matter how many hours a week he worked, he would take me outside to learn how to catch, hit a ball etc. Made every effort to make events my sister and I had as much as he could. He taught us how to be proud, stick up for things we believe in and also how to be accepting towards others. The list of life lessons would take up pages and pages of posts so I'll keep it short.

He was a proud Vietnam veteran, Father, Husband, Grandfather and most of all my best friend. He died fighting a battle with lung cancer at the too young age of 60 two years ago, the first challange that I ever remember him losing. It was beyond hard seeing someone of his stature, both physically and mentally have a disease like that eat him away. But even towards the end he stood up on his own two feet with pride. He had moments of being sad but didn't let it drag him down, he wanted to enjoy what he knew were his limited days left with his friends and family. He spent them like he always did, talking, laughing, doing things he wanted to do until he was too sick to do anything.

I figure if I end up living my life even half as well and noble as he did I'll be doing ok.

So who are your heros?

2. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    FDR, LBJ, Jimmy Carter, Dan Aykroyd, Rainn Wilson, Adam Sandler, My Grandfather, My friend Sarah, Steve Carell, Batman, Hunter Thompson, George S. Patton, Erwin Rommel, Kevin Spacey, Kevin Smith, Cheech and Chong, George Carlin, Frank Thackeray, Barney Frank, Sherrod Brown, Annie Lennox, Cyndi Lauper, Kal Penn, Hugh Hefner, Larry Flynt, John Landis, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, John Lennon, Brian Posehn, Patton Oswald, Ed Koch, RFK, Jesus, Roy Fuller,

3. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    He is definitely a way cool human being... and a GREAT dad. I can only think that he is as proud of you as a son as you are of him (he's most likely already read your awesome post from above). :smile:

4. Northland

Gold Member

I don't care much for the word hero (unless it's a sandwich).

That said, let me translate it to the important folk of my life.

My grandfather of course is first on the list, and to some extent my equally dead father. The two of them together figured it would be get out if Najaf, which, has given me the good life I've had so far.

There was my 6th grade teacher, who would keep me after class for one infraction or another, and then occasionally give me a ride home. Nice man-even if he did decide I needed a daily report card (which had to be signed every day) and threatened to have me pulled from the school play if I missed any more homework assignments.

A Methodist minister from my days in the Land of The Lost (Staten Island). He did a sermon one Sunday on St.Francis of Assissi. For some reason he was moved to tears. He teared up one other time when telling of a man who had died while working (he was either a cop or a fireman). Armitstead was the minister's name. He was one of the good ones. I heard him that day and something was altered in me.

Also from my tortured time in The Land That Time Forgot, was the now often mentioned Lou Miucci. It's known (elsewhere on the forum) what he did for me.

Pablo Escobar-I can't say more about that one.

Carolyn and Carolyn (not related to each other)-not sure why, they were just both very important to me at a time in the late 1980s and of course Carolyn who was married to some relative-although her son was dorky as all get-up. She was also related somehow to Jerome and Ray. A father and son who kept my imagination running (my first hint that I wasn't completely heterosexual) wild which leads to...

...Stanton-he made sex with men be okay, not a shameful or sinful thing (although he was a little overinvolved with champagne drinking)

Dickerson-he broke my heart but made me grow through the experience.

Saddam (not that one, the other one, my second oldest brother)

Dr.Palma who snipped out parts of my stomach about 2 years ago, but through that gave me a chance to stay alive (although it may be back-wish me luck). The heroic part, was when he didn't charge me for the office visits or consultation. Only the surgery-how often do you find a doctor like that? Okay, maybe that was the kindly part.

The inventor of Lego building blocks-hours, days, weeks and more of fun.

Just about everybody I have met in my life has been of importance to me-to single any one out is really unfair. Well, maybe the Bush brothers George and Jeb along with Mike Huckabee and Bill Richardson. Is it just me or would anyone else like to see those 4 going at it sexually? Yeah, I figured it was just me.

I can't really figure out how to define hero...

5. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    ...my dad - my "better half", for starters...

6. D_PNessMann

D_PNessMann Account Disabled

My Father.....Toughest man aliveHis Father......Toughest man not alive.And my Son......Toughest boy in a house full of girls.

7. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

my mom. she's my hero!! we have our differences but she has always been there for me. i would never want to be someone else's daughter!

8. Notthe7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    To Start:

Van Gogh: So full of life and talent.. seems like the worlds hate and cruelty was just too much his heart. To have half his kindness and childlike awareness.

Napoleon: For the courage and blind self confidence

9. D_Theophallus Kneedgroin

D_Theophallus Kneedgroin Account Disabled

Definitely my mother. She had a very hard life and never once used that as an excuse. Her strength and energy still amaze me.

10. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

yep, that's my mom too! she's been through a lot of shit over the years and it's made her such a strong person. i seriously don't know how moms do it.

11. D_Theophallus Kneedgroin

D_Theophallus Kneedgroin Account Disabled

my mom had to work two jobs at one point and yet it seemed like she was still always there...to this day, I have no idea how she did that.

12. whatireallywant

Gold Member

There are some I won't mention here (too many, and some I don't even know the names of!) - but all people, well-known and unknown, who work or have worked to end sexism, racism and homophobia. Hopefully those prejudices will go away, but we have a long way to go yet.

My dad - came from a horrendous background, and although he never got rich, he did manage to make a living and support a family, even through numerous health problems of both of my parents', and fairly high co-pays since it seemed that every few years, one or the other parent had to go to the hospital and required surgery.

In pop culture, I'd say that one is Mae West. She was WAY ahead of her time - loved her attitude! "Yes, women are sexual, too!" :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted