Who Determines What is Politically Correct?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What nameless and faceless force is pushing these ideals and morality onto all of us?

What exactly is this new PC morality? Is it yours?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I disagree - I think PC is pushed by a leftwing* lowest common denominator.

The sad sacks who think 'they' can be used as a third person singular pronoun. (yes, yes, I have been known to do that myself occassionally - I hate myself for it, I feel so dirty after I've done it too)

* that may not apply to US - liberal? not quite so far right? ...whatever

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I disagree - I think PC is pushed by a liberal lowest common denominator. I agree with you.

The sad sacks who think 'they' can be used as a third person singular pronoun. (yes, yes, I have been know to do that myself occassionally - I hate myself for it, I feel so dirty after I've done it too)

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Here's an example of the current PC trend:

To all my Liberal/Democrat friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To all my Conservative/Republican friends:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I disagree - I think PC is pushed by a leftwing* lowest common denominator.

You're right, MB and njqt. I didn't phrase my statement well at all. :mad:

What I should have said was:

Political Correctness, a well intentioned and largely harmless tendency practiced mainly by the left, seeks to describe ideas, language, policies, or behavior in terms inoffensive to minority cultures, religions or races. Legions of right wing radio wingnuts and conservative newspaper columnists in the US employ straw man tactics to exaggerate the negative effects of Political Correctness well beyond their actual impact in order to discredit progressive politics as an evil worldwide jihad by overzealous do-gooders intent on supressing free speech.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Now that I can agree with! :smile:

Though there are plenty of leftwingers that do take it too far there are as many that know that and do their damdest to reality check the buggers at every opportunity.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're right, MB and njqt. I didn't phrase my statement well at all. :mad: I told you dahlink, you really can't operate both heads at once. :tongue: Wait until your cock resumes it's normal size to type a post. :biggrin1::tongue::wink:

What I should have said was: Political Correctness, a well intentioned and largely harmless tendency practiced mainly by the left, seeks to describe ideas, language, policies, or behavior in terms inoffensive to minority cultures, religions or races. Legions of right wing radio wingnuts and conservative newspaper columnists in the US employ straw man tactics to exaggerate the negative effects of Political Correctness well beyond their actual impact in order to discredit progressive politics as an evil worldwide jihad by overzealous do-gooders intent on supressing free speech. That's better. :cool:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

That's funny Pecker. That blue font might be offensive to someone however - should have stuck with the more neutral Verdana. :rolleyes:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Your font offends me. I prefer a nice Copperplate Gothic. Not to mention the audicity to wish me to be merry. The sheer impertinence. I like my sour demeanor and to have you encroach on it with being merry? Next you'll be wanting me to bid you a Happy New Year. That too offends me.

BTW, my brother just sent this to me. :biggrin1:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're right, MB and njqt. I didn't phrase my statement well at all. :mad:

What I should have said was:

Political Correctness, a well intentioned and largely harmless tendency practiced mainly by the left, seeks to describe ideas, language, policies, or behavior in terms inoffensive to minority cultures, religions or races. Legions of right wing radio wingnuts and conservative newspaper columnists in the US employ straw man tactics to exaggerate the negative effects of Political Correctness well beyond their actual impact in order to discredit progressive politics as an evil worldwide jihad by overzealous do-gooders intent on supressing free speech.

Exactly!!!

Since when is being sensitive to minority cultures, religions, races, etc. a BAD thing?! :confused: I think the radio/newspaper wingnuts and the people who agree with them want to be able to say racist, sexist, homophobic and otherwise bigoted things too, without being taken to task for it at all.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Being politically correct is entirely relative.

If someone finds the term "lady" sexist and presumptuous and asks that you not use that term in her presence, you might find her uppity, a feminist, possibly a lesbian and doubt whether or not she shaves her armpits, then rant about how worries of being "PC" has ruined the country.

If you hear someone speak of "broads" and how they "can't drive for shit", you'd probably look askance and wonder who invited the boor to the party.

If you were in line to buy movie tickets with your elderly aunt and the kid behind you referred to females only as "cunts", you'd probably be mortified and might well risk a confrontation.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You know, this PC stuff unnerves me.

I miss gender specific terms like:

steward/stewardess
actor/actress

What is so wrong with using terms that denote a specific gender? It's one of the beauties of language that the PC gang has taken away from most of us. I still use the word "actress" whenever someone calls a female an "actor." It just bugs me to no end...

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

steward/stewardess
actor/actress

What is so wrong with using terms that denote a specific gender? It's one of the beauties of language that the PC gang has taken away from most of us. I still use the word "actress" whenever someone calls a female an "actor." It just bugs me to no end...
There is nothing wrong with that Simcha and I don't get it either...it's just plain stupid!

MNGuy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Boy, that is just HILARIOUS.

By the way, I consider myself liberal, and I wish people Merry Christmas. Unless I sense a conservative, which I will say "Happy Holidays", just to do my part in the War Against Christmas. lol.

BBTW, I think the little wittly ditty of yours is a stupid generalization. Or did you really think that was supposed to funny?

MNGuy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Exactly!!!

Since when is being sensitive to minority cultures, religions, races, etc. a BAD thing?! :confused: I think the radio/newspaper wingnuts and the people who agree with them want to be able to say racist, sexist, homophobic and otherwise bigoted things too, without being taken to task for it at all.

Exactly.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

steward/stewardess
actor/actress

There's an implied inferiority to the term "actress", rather like the term "movie star".

"Stewardess" was the name applied to members of the cabin crew who couldn't be too tall, too short, pregnant, too ugly or too old. When the rules were relaxed (a good thing) and they were respected as something more than Hooters waitresses with CPR and emergency training, they became "flight attendants".

Likewise "waitress" and "waiter": A waitress works at a diner, a waiter works in a fine dining establishment.

This all boils down to respecting the wishes of the person being addressed or referred to. Why is respect such a horrible thing?