Who do you think you are?

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank You Jason Els for the informative note. I connect with the Rex Deus bloodline. Aaron and King David of ancient Israel. The progenitors of the Merovingians.
I'll further update this. I am paying a lady who does the geneologies for a living, she is quite amazing. This might turn out to be an exercise in futility.
Thanks again.

In some ways that makes sense as they're all inter-related as a group anyway. I'm not sure they can find anything that makes one genetic group distinct from another based upon nationality. DNA can determine haplotype, but can't guarantee that the haplotype distinguishes nationality. It can, sometimes, indicate migration and settlement patterns. We can't change our DNA, but we can change which tribe we belong to. For example, there are many Jewish Britons who have lived on the island for over a thousand years yet a geneticist might say these people were Semitic and therefore from the middle east where a genealogist would immediately look and say these people are British, just not of the most common genetic haplotype groups which inhabit Britain. In genealogy, at least, DNA can be an indicator but it's not a foolproof one.

Many Americans have found a genetic indicator linking them to American Indians yet are completely puzzled because there is no Indian blood in their ancestry. It's not unusual to have Americans with completely documented genealogies since their families emigrated to the US. The question then is, where did this gene come from? Speculation ranges from unadmitted infidelities of colonial women with Indian men, to the possibility that it's a gene from millions of years ago when people first left Africa and some went west to Europe and others went east to Asia. Some of those in Asia migrated to North America. Another theory is that there is undocumented contact between American Indians and Europeans. Could the Vikings have brought home Indian brides only to have their offspring, who may have reasonably raped a good portion of Europe, settle North America a thousand years later? Maybe the Irish did? Or was it the Spaniards, Portugese, Venetians, Romans, Greeks, or even Hellenized Egyptians? Sometimes DNA leaves us with more riddles than answers.

The whole Celt business is a bit of a muddle. Just who, and what, is Celtic is open to a great deal of debate these days. We imagine that Ireland, Scotland, Man, Wales, Cornwall, Brittany, and Galicia are the last strongholds of the Celts and their language and culture is Celtic. Surprise, surprise, they may not be! While all of them share linguistic and cultural roots, those roots may not be Celtic at all, but rather Saxon or something else. Perhaps the Celts actually migrated east instead of west (though what that means La Tene culture is I don't know).

I think DNA is going to rewrite a lot of history once we get a sense of where different hapolotypes come from and can pair these with documented migrations and historical records. We're in for some steep surprises.

Thank You Jason Els for the informative note. I connect with the Rex Deus bloodline. Aaron and King David of ancient Israel. The progenitors of the Merovingians.
I'll further update this. I am paying a lady who does the geneologies for a living, she is quite amazing. This might turn out to be an exercise in futility.
Thanks again.

So you're of the כּהנִים and have the Aaronic Y subclade of the J1 haplogroup. That's very cool! It's remarkable how well the Aaronic gene matches genealogical records so you may have a relatively easy time of it depending on the condition of records. I wish you the best of luck!

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
jason els -

Thanks. Being a Cohan is what got me started. Quite interesting. DNA technology is truly remarkable.

Later

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've only been able to trace my direct ancestry on one side back to the early 1600s, but both sides of my family actually trace back to a common ancestor in the Isle of Man in the early 13th century and from there back to Scandinavia.

There was a bit of a stooshie in 1616 when one of my father's ancestors confessed on his death bed that he was the father of his boss's wife's son. There's a bit of a gap in the family records after that, as said son wasn't too happy at being disinherited and people were too busy fighting for the next few years to keep track of births, deaths and marriages.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know nothing at all about my dad's side of the family other than they have been in england since the middle ages but my mum has spent the last several years filling in her family tree and i know that before being based in the midlands they were from London where one of my anscestor's ran a paupers home for orphaned children in the late 1800's but he was tried for manslaughter after being held accountable for a deadly cholera outbreak in the city which originated there. Before they came to England they were from France and one of those was a gatekeeper who captured Marie-Anne Toinette as she was trying to flee France.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Genealogy is an avocation of mine. The reference to the Mormon site is a good one. www.ancestry.com is another one. There's a membership fee but it's worth every dime.

But the single most valuable thing I've found was asking elderly relatives questions. Had I not done that at an opportune time I'd not have nearly the info I do.

I agree entirely with Jason_els post here too.

He and I share a generational American background that goes back (in my case) to the 17th century with the exception of one French Huguenot line.

To Viking UK - Your location says Oxfordshire. Do you know a small town fairly near Oxford called (as I think I remember it) "Little Wittenham"??

Last edited:

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I researched my paternal male lineage ancestry back to 1653 when my ancestor got married (he died the following year). Sadly my paternal female lineage does not exist pre-1944 (all records destroyed during WW2).

I'm only getting round to researching my maternal side of the family now but I do know that my great aunt was married to a high ranking member of the nazi party (just prior to WW2) amongst other things. :shhh:

For those wanting to start researching I would recommend the following site;

www.myancestry.com

I used them to start off with and you can also download free charts and forms to record your info. Great for use when questioning your relatives about their family history :fing02:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Genealogy is an avocation of mine. The reference to the Mormon site is a good one. www.ancestry.com is another one. There's a membership fee but it's worth every dime.

But the single most valuable thing I've found was asking elderly relatives questions. Had I not done that at an opportune time I'd not have nearly the info I do.

I agree entirely with Jason_els post here too.

He and I share a generational American background that goes back (in my case) to the 17th century with the exception of one French Huguenot line.

To Viking UK - Your location says Oxfordshire. Do you know a small town fairly near Oxford called (as I think I remember it) "Little Wittenham"??

I've been through Little Wittenham quite a few times. It's between Long Wittenham and Wallingford, just by the Wittenham Clumps, which afford one of the best views of south Oxfordshire. I take it you have a family connection to the place. It's quite a small hamlet, with about half a dozen houses.

I used ancestry.com and also rootsweb, both of which were quite useful for tracing the North American part of my family as well as giving details of relatives I wasn't too sure about in Scotland. Census records in Scotland are pretty useful too, and many are now available on line, although the last time I checked them, you had to pay a fee to access the individual entries. However, it was only something like 20p per sheet and they provide a short summary for free.

Before they came to England they were from France and one of those was a gatekeeper who captured Marie-Anne Toinette as she was trying to flee France.

She ended up with Toinette's syndrome, I think. :wink:

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks Jamie, i agree with all that you wrote, the buzz and feeling you get when you actually crack a name you have been working on for weeks is great.
I am going to Kew Gardens next week to the National archives which should bring up a lot more.

I am SOO jealous! Tho, not really about the archives so much as Kew Gardens.

Anyway, I've done pretty extensive work on my family tree, at least as far as it exists in North America. I started where I thought I had the most information - my mom's side of the family. It turns out a lot of the oral tradition there was blatantly false. My mom always asserted that her grandfather was born in Ireland and immigrated with his parents to Chicago at a very young age. The part about arriving in Chicago at a young age was correct, but imagine my surprise when i discovered he was actually born only a few miles from my current residence in Maryland! In fact he was the third generation of his family to be born in Baltimore. I had no idea when i moved here from the midwest that i was moving back to my ancestral roots (at least on one side of the family). I also discovered that I have maternal-line descent from a jewish woman - or at least she was buried in a jewish cemetery. Two ancestors, through my grandmother's side, fought in the civil war, and both of them as relatively recent imigrants.

I'm lucky that both of my mother's parents were born in Chicago more than 75 years ago. The cook county clerk allows people doing geneological research to purchase copies of birth, death, and marriage records online for a very reasonable price. Chicago birth certificates list the name of the child, the father's name, address, and place of birth and age, and the mother's maiden name, address and place of birth and age. This is all very helpful information.

My grandfather isn't very helpful when it comes to questions about his history. He revered his mother and maternal grandmother as saints, but knew little about them, really. His father abandoned his family when Grandpa was less than 3 years old, and though Grandpa knew his name, he wasn't willing to share the information. He always told me that his grandfather (who died well before he was born) was from Germany (true) and his grandmother was also a German imigrant, though at a young age (false). His grandmother's paternal line is actually very well documented back to an early settler of Henrico Virginia in the 1650s. Census, birth, and death records are an amazing thing!

Grandpa's birth certificate also yielded his father's name and (supposed) birthplace. Unfortunately, the "For geneological purposes only" watermark partially obscured my great-grandfather's age at the time of grandpa's birth, so i knew that he was 19, 29, or 39. I was lucky to find a WWI draftcard that had Great-Grandpa's name and the same address listed on Grandpa's birth cert. It showed an age that corresponded to great grandpa being 29 when grandpa was born, and gave a more accurate birth location. From there I was able to trace my grandfather's family name back to a man born in 1683 in Philadelphia to Welsh parents. On my grandfather's side of the family I have 3 verified ancestors who fought in the revolutionary war.

Working on my Dad's side of the tree has been much more difficult, since i've no contact with him or any of his family members. I did, however, meet all of his grandparents, and astonishingly remembered their names and relative ages. The social security death index has been a watershed of information on that side of the tree - it's amazing (and also a little scary) the information you can find on a person when you have their social security number!

Anyway, I didn't intend to write a book here. Geneology is fascinating to me. I did Jason's tree and found that he shares a relatively recent common ancestor with Queen Elizabeth II, and that he is male-line descended from one of the founding families of Massachusetts. His geneology is much more interesting than mine!

For those who are interested in research, good places to start are the social security death index: Social Security Death Index Interactive Search and clerks offices of the states, counties and cities of your recent ancestors. From information gathered there, you can start searches on Ancestry.com, which includes well-indexed cencuses as recent as 1930 and as old as 1790.

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
For historical record searches in England & Wales I have found FreeBMD to be a very useful site. Scotland has its own registry which I have so far not needed to use despite a lot of family members coming from the Scotish Border region.

I have also used the UK Ancestry site as well as GenesReunited to upload and share my family tree and find links to other trees. Also, the folk at RootsChat were very friendly and quick with answers to a couple of queries I've posted.

Many local authorities / councils have online searchable indexes for BMD info to allow you to identify, then order, copies of BMD certificates - of course you can use these to get the info you need without actually ordering anything if the site is generous with the information it displays when you search. :wink:

Although not used yet, it looks like I'm going to have to visit a county records office to access Baptismal Records as a last ditch attempt to find the birth & parent details for a distant relative. Still - it is all part of the fun . . . :smile:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been through Little Wittenham quite a few times. It's between Long Wittenham and Wallingford, just by the Wittenham Clumps, which afford one of the best views of south Oxfordshire. I take it you have a family connection to the place. It's quite a small hamlet, with about half a dozen houses.

Oh this is so cool. Thanks Viking.

I know the place because while I studied at Christ Church we took a day trip there and I recall the small early church with some sort of connection to the ancestors of Oliver Cromwell. I have, in a small tome here somewhere, a wildflower I picked that day and sealed up in that book filled with verse. What I recall most distinctly about the place is its isolation and air of away-from-it-all-ness.

I went with a friend so no. No family connection to Little Wittenham. My father's people were from Brixton (Cornwall?) and a place called Portledge Manor which may or may not still stand.

I used ancestry.com and also rootsweb, both of which were quite useful for tracing the North American part of my family as well as giving details of relatives I wasn't too sure about in Scotland. Census records in Scotland are pretty useful too, and many are now available on line, although the last time I checked them, you had to pay a fee to access the individual entries. However, it was only something like 20p per sheet and they provide a short summary for free.

I spent a full day in Edinburgh ten years ago researching my S.O.'s Scottish grandmother's lines. You're absolutely correct about the census. It made me yearn for more than my one line to the Murdo (odd spelling of Murdoch?) family who lived near Melrose Abbey.

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jsson els - Where do you get the Hebrew letters, please. Do you then type then backspace? Thanks Also the vowels, too.

For historical record searches in England & Wales I have found FreeBMD to be a very useful site. Scotland has its own registry which I have so far not needed to use despite a lot of family members coming from the Scotish Border region.

I have also used the UK Ancestry site as well as GenesReunited to upload and share my family tree and find links to other trees. Also, the folk at RootsChat were very friendly and quick with answers to a couple of queries I've posted.

Many local authorities / councils have online searchable indexes for BMD info to allow you to identify, then order, copies of BMD certificates - of course you can use these to get the info you need without actually ordering anything if the site is generous with the information it displays when you search. :wink:

Although not used yet, it looks like I'm going to have to visit a county records office to access Baptismal Records as a last ditch attempt to find the birth & parent details for a distant relative. Still - it is all part of the fun . . . :smile:

Thanks much for these resources! I have a lot of ancestors from the UK and am fortunate enough to know where many came from, their names, and dates. This will help me no end. Right now I'm tracing everyone I can back to their family coming to the US. Once that's done, then I'm going to work on their European connections more. With some family lines, this has already been done going back many centuries so I've kind of cheated by looking at them and I have to say, they've had fascinating lives.

some say vikings may have discovered america even before natives

How do you mean? Indians have been in the Americas long before there were even Vikings. Is someone disputing that?

Jsson els - Where do you get the Hebrew letters, please. Do you then type then backspace? Thanks Also the vowels, too.

Cut and paste! I cheated.

You can, however, install a Hebrew font set on your computer. What operating system do you use?