Who does Canada think it is?

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd like a little feedback on this guys & gals;

Two years ago a twenty something year old man robbed and killed the owner of a local pawn shop. He fled to Canada where he was caught by local authorities. Canada would not turn him over to us unless we promised not to seek the death penealty. Well in todays paper I see where we rolled over to their demands.
My questions is, do you think another country has any right to hold and stipulate the punishment of a fugitive from another country? After all he committed the crime in our country not theirs, we shouldn't have to abide by their laws.

I'm looking forward to reponse.

tomthelad91

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Alors!
The Death Penalty is MURDER!
And canada doesn't negotiate with terrorists

Seriously America, you call your selfs democratic? Land of the free?
But its ok to shoot dead a guy with a firing squad?

Countries with the death Penalty:
China, Iran, North Korea, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Belarus, America

Quite funny when you're government seems to preech about these countries being un-democratic, yet, you're so alike :)
Both BANANA REPUBLICS!

Vive le Canada; J'ai Liberté, Égalité.
Et je suis FIER!

B_phe1249

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alors!
The Death Penalty is MURDER!
And canada doesn't negotiate with terrorists

Seriously America, you call your selfs democratic? Land of the free?
But its ok to shoot dead a guy with a firing squad?

Countries with the death Penalty:
China, Iran, North Korea, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Belarus, America

Quite funny when you're government seems to preech about these countries being un-democratic, yet, you're so alike :)
Both BANANA REPUBLICS!

Vive le Canada; J'ai Liberté, Égalité.
Et je suis FIER!

Fuck you and your failed French CDN ways Pierre.

facedowndeep

1st Like
Media
Would you turn over a gay Iranian who faced death by stoning if he was repatriated to Iran? He committed a crime in Iran, after all, so by your line of argument America has no right to decide his punishment.

Or how about a Saudi thief who would have his hand chopped off if he was returned?

Canada considers the death penalty inhumane, and our constitution forbids us to send anyone to a country where they will receive inhumane punishment.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Well, the supposition is that if we, when formulating our own laws, have as a principle that capital punishment is immoral ... then that is our moral view of capital punishment.
And given that moral view, we can't do anything that may cause a person to be executed.
So if we're supposed to ship one of your malefactors back home, we want to know that the penalty, whatever it is, will stop somewhere short of execution.
Is this so outrageous?
Until recently, the Canadian government, on the same principle, has called for clemency for Canadians subject to the death penalty in foreign countries. Usually, this has had no effect, but the appeal has been made as a matter of principle, given our purported moral views.
The current Conservative government has stopped doing this, feeling that foreign jurisdictions don't need our interference in the operation of their legal systems. (Personally, I don't really consider it interference, but ...)

In the rare polls that are taken among Canadians about the death penalty, there used to be a majority supporting it. But this support is sometimes said to be "a mile wide and an inch deep." The death penalty is never mentioned as a major issue facing Canadians. One survey of 1500 people asking what the major issues were facing Canada, had not one respondent mentioning the death penalty.
The more recent polls show a decline in support for the death penalty so that pro and con forces are roughly equal.
All national political parties oppose the death penalty except the ruling Conservative Party, which doesn't positively support it, but would, unless its policy has shifted recently, allow a free vote in Parliament. (That means that MPs would vote according to their own conscience.)
Canadian research, like American research, overwhelmingly suggests that the death penalty has little effect as a deterrent.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd like a little feedback on this guys & gals;

Two years ago a twenty something year old man robbed and killed the owner of a local pawn shop. He fled to Canada where he was caught by local authorities. Canada would not turn him over to us unless we promised not to seek the death penealty. Well in todays paper I see where we rolled over to their demands.
My questions is, do you think another country has any right to hold and stipulate the punishment of a fugitive from another country? After all he committed the crime in our country not theirs, we shouldn't have to abide by their laws.

I'm looking forward to reponse.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law, in'it?

We got 'im, we get to decide what get's done with 'im.

Canada doesn't wish for him to die, so, if that's a potential outcome of returning him to the states, we'll choose not to return him. Canada cooperates with the USA. We don't comply blindly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the USA held Canadians for extended periods despite us asking for their release?

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Would you turn over a gay Iranian who faced death by stoning if he was repatriated to Iran? He committed a crime in Iran, after all, so by your line of argument America has no right to decide his punishment.

Or how about a Saudi thief who would have his hand chopped off if he was returned?

Canada considers the death penalty inhumane, and our constitution forbids us to send anyone to a country where they will receive inhumane punishment.

I don't think it's a countries business to dictate how another country punishes its criminals. Your country may not believe in the death penalty, fine, we do and I think that it's up to a jury of his peers to decide his fate, not some outside source.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

Ding ding! Bingo!

Canada has its own laws too, hypoc8. Canada won't extradite to any country that is going to kill the (potential) extraditee - therefore America had the choice of leaving the guy in prison in Canada (I assume he was imprisoned there - you give no link or case info) or having him face US justice (but without the death penalty). They chose the latter.

It isn't a question of rolling over to demands - Canadian law simply states that they can't extradite someone to death - as it were.

I don't think it's a countries business to dictate how another country punishes its criminals. Your country may not believe in the death penalty, fine, we do and I think that it's up to a jury of his peers to decide his fate, not some outside source.

But without the assurance of no death penalty it would be illegal under Canadian law for the man to be handed over to the US system. What part of this are you not getting?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alors! The Death Penalty is MURDER! And Canada doesn't negotiate with terrorists
Oh please we are not terrorists. When was the last time we attacked Canada? :confused:

Seriously America, you call your selfs democratic? Land of the free? But its ok to shoot dead a guy with a firing squad?

Land of the Free does not mean that people are allowed to run about willy-nilly committing crimes and doing whatever the heck they want!. :12:

In the US only the state of Utah offers to chose between lethal injection and firing squad. The State of Idaho has it as an option if lethal injection is "impracticable" and the state of Washington would use the firing squad if the lethal injection and electrocution would be find unconstitutional.
Since reintroduction of the death penalty in the USA 2 persons were executed by firing squad.
Gary Gilmore was executed by firing squad. He was the first who was executed after reintroducing the death penalty in January of 1977. They brought him to an empty tin-factory, seated him in an armchair and five volunteers of the prison shot him.
This was the last execution by firing squad for a long time in the USA.
On January 26, 1996 Utah wanted to execute the 36 years old John Albert Taylor. Taylor had waived his rights for further appeals and chose the firing squad as his execution method. The state had some problems with that: Politicians were afraid of negative publicity, because Utah had applied for the Olympic Winter-Games in 2002. Finally the execution was done as wanted.

Countries with the death Penalty: China, Iran, North Korea, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Belarus, America
How droll, we may not be as "perfect" as Canada but we are no where near as bad as the countries you listed; and you know it. :mad:

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Possession is 9/10ths of the law, in'it?

We got 'im, we get to decide what get's done with 'im.

Canada doesn't wish for him to die, so, if that's a potential outcome of returning him to the states, we'll choose not to return him. Canada cooperates with the USA. We don't comply blindly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the USA held Canadians for extended periods despite us asking for their release?

The only reason you got him is he ran like a little chicken-shit to there.

As far as your other question, I can't honestly answer that yes or no.

diesel82

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
wow didn't realise that the USA STILL had the death penalty. Thought they only did that in those backwards countries that america is intent on saving/destroying.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

Hypoc8, you didn't answer facedowndeep's question.
If you don't think it's a country's business to dictate how another country punishes its criminals ... then maybe you would return a gay Iranian to his country, where he might face death by stoning.
But I can't believe you would do that.
Would you?

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay