Who does Canada think it is?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I do understand, although I also think in context from earlier paragraphs the meaning was pretty clear. But in the interest of clarity and amity I tried to revise my post but it has timed me out. Here is what I was trying to amend it to read:

I'm not saying that the abolition of the death penalty isn't a factor one way or another, but even allowing for those two exceptional events, how do you explain, in the absence of capital punishment - a decrease in reported homicides against an increase in population - i.e. a decreased homicide rate?

:biggrin1:

Well, it's not too important.
But your meaning wasn't clear because in the immediate preceding paragraph, you were talking about rates:

Raw numbers aside, let's look at rates. Thus I'd also ask, in view of your assertion that a lack of capital punishment is a major factor in such 'massive increases in murder rates' - why is the 2005/2006 rate of 1.38 just over 70% of the 2002/2003 rate of about 1.96, which was to be fair 'Shipmanised' to the tune of 173. Although his victims died over a period he alone accounted for over 15% of the total homicide count for that year. The 2005/2006 figure of 1.38 includes 52 from the 7/7 bombings (7%).

I'm not saying that the abolition of the death penalty isn't a factor one way or another, but even allowing for those two exceptional events, how do you explain, in the absence of capital punishment - a decreasing homicide incidence against an increasing population?

But anyway, I am going to shelve my anality for the day.
Amity above all, dong.
Cheers.:cool:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I will say I am probably biased as a friend of mine at uni was murdered by thugs outside a nightclub here in England, part of a gang who were already notorious for robbing and assaulting people but had only recieved very lenient punishments. One had just been released after a very light sentence.

My aunt was the victim of an attempted murder in South Africa after someone threw a brick at her car and her forehead was crushed and she lost the sight in one eye. Also in SA, a friend lost his father when armed robbers broke into his home and shot him.

So I tend to be fairly conservative when it comes to criminal justice.
I am sorry for your loss(s). I understand your point of view and can appreciate why you feel the way you do.

Mougli

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Canada rules, Quebec rules and we are happy not to kill people, we prefer to make them regret heir acts by letting them rott in jail! :D

by the way, the reason why it took so long,, it is called JURISDICTION and it is full of burocratic steps and papers so it takes a while for things to get done!