Who else is cooking for their dad this Sunday?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

My tentative menu for Father's Day.

Chef White always uses the traditional chef’s technique of splitting the lobsters live. Here we boil them before splitting, which is easier for the home cook. Prepare the sauces first, and be sure to grill the lobsters immediately after they have been boiled and split.

GRILLED RIB-EYE STEAKS WITH PARSLEY-GARLIC BUTTER
    The garlicky herb butter is similar to the butter served with escargots in southwestern France. IMPROV: When preparing the butter, try a shallot instead of garlic, and thyme instead of parsley.

For the Parsley-Garlic Butter, mix together in small bowl, then cover and chill:
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    2 teaspoons Cognac
    Salt and pepper

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Rub with generous amounts of salt and pepper:
    3 1 1/2-inch-thick rib-eye steaks (about 1 pound each)

Grill steaks to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Cut each steak in half, top with spoonful of chilled butter, and serve.

Makes 6 servings.
    Bon Appétit - June 2006 - Melissa Clark

CORN AND HARICOTS VERTS IN LIME SHALLOT BUTTER
    Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 30 min

1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3/4 lb haricots verts or other thin green beans, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
    3 cups corn (from about 6 ears)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice, or to taste

Cook shallot in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add beans, corn, and salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime zest and lime juice.

Makes 6 servings.

Gourmet Entertains
    July 2003

2. naughty

Gold Member

Miss Patsy,

What are we going to do with you? That sounds fabulous. Your parents are lucky to have such a loving ,talented and intelligent daughter! So what is for dessert? I wish I could cook for my dad but he has been gone for 13 years from lung cancer. Give yours a big hug for me!

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well done you. I wish I was able to do the same but mine lives 2500 miles away. We'll next see each other at Christmas.

4. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

This made me giggle, I read the title as 'Who else is cooking their dad this Sunday.'

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Tee hee hee, you are so funny! :tongue:

6. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:

This is such a lovely idea, well done you QT Pie!

Speaking of pie...and to answer naughty's question (though I realise this is short notice), here's a recipe for one of my most favourite desserts.
    I love sorbet, but prefer the tangy kind to the sweet kind. The lemon in this recipe not only gives is a nice tang (but not the puckering kind of tang), but enhances the flavour of the strawberries. Please note that you may need to do conversions as in South Africa we use standard metric.

STRAWBERRY SORBET

Ingredients:

850g fresh strawberries, hulled and halved (if large, then quartered)
    500g sugar
    350ml orange juice
    200ml lemon juice

Method:

Combine in a bowl the strawberries, sugar, orange juice and lemon juice.
    Leave to stand at room temperature for 3-4 hours. Put the mixture throught a sieve or food mill, or puree in an electric blender. Pour the mixture into two large freezing trays. Freeze until about 1" of the mixture is frozen on all sides of the tray. Remove and beat the mixture until mushy. Return the mixture to the trays and allow to freeze for about two hours. Beat until mushy. Repeat this process 1-2 more times if you want a more delicate sorbet. Leave to freeze completely.

I normally serve this with a sprig of mint and a berry compote. Enjoy!

7. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    We are spending the weekend at my parents beach house and will naturally be making some sort of seafood feast for my Dad. He is Italian, so we will be making some Italian influenced dishes for him. he loves my chocolate shortbread and will most likely make some raspberry sorbet to go with it.
    Michael's Father unfortunately passed away a few years ago but he is so much a member of my family that he clearly fits in.
    My Dad is the strong silent type and he is truly inspiring in so many ways. :smile:

8. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

That sounds like a delicious menu. Can I be a part of your family that day?

Unfortunately my dad suffers from severe heart disease (and is recovering from a serious Heart Attack) so I cannot cook any of that from me, even if I knew how to cook.

9. NCbear

Gold Member

So I wasn't the only one. Whew....

NCbear (who's thankful that he doesn't have to cook his dad tomorrow, because that would be a damned big roasting pan or outdoor barbecue pit -- he weighs about 270 lbs and is about 6'2")

10. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    (looking above) very good ideas...but i am taking the lazy route..... my brothers and I are taking my dad out to dinner

11. naughty

Gold Member

Well, that is always a nice option as well. I think the point is to let them know you are thinking about them.

12. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Would have liked to, but my family lives a good distance away. I'll cook the next time I see them, though.

Incidentally, it's nice to see some recipes in a thread without them being preceded by someone being obnoxious. :smile:

13. B_Cocktale

B_Cocktale New Member

Whew.. at first I thought the title said "who else is looking for their dad.."

The old bastard can cook for himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted