Who Gave the Best Speech?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Freddie53, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Freddie53

Gold Member

Now that the Democratic Convention is over, who gave the most rousing speech. Who had the crowd on its feet the most. Which person suprised the pundits by giving a better speech than expected. Who gave the weakest speech. Who had the hightest rating among the TV views. And finally who did the most to change undecided voters to vote for Obama?

I'm including the main hitters in this group. Senator Ted Kennedy, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Senator Biden or Obama?

I vote for Ted Kennedy to bring out the most emotion in people. No doubt the outpouring of love was very genuine.

I vote for Hillary Clinton to have swayed more voters. As far as rating speeches, I will vote for Bill Clinton. But I think Hillary swayed more voters.

Obama did an excellent job. No doubt one of the top three orators in the country along with Bill and Hillary Clinton. He got the most arousing support, but it was from his supporters who were already in his camp. I believe he swayed people as well. Obama showed himself worthy to be president of the United States. He did what he had to do and that was convince people he was qualilfied to be president of the United States.

But in the end, it was Hillary that unified the party. My hat goes off to her. That is by no means a slap at Obama. Only Hillary could bring her supporters on board the Obama train. She did a magnificent job in doing just that. After her speech there is no way I could tell her in person I was not going to vote for Obama.

It was Obama himself though that made the best case that John McCain's judgment isn't worthy to be president but Obama's judgment is. And only Obama could make that case. I believe Hillary's oratorical skills that night were a shade better than Obama's but the message itself that Obama gave was very powerful.

Bill Clinton hasn't lost his ability to connect with the people. He makes you feel he is talking only to you. He is the best in that regard.

The Republicans will have a hard time beating the big three speeches of Bill Hillary and Obama. The big three speeches taken together covered all the bases.

As a Democrat, I was pleased. I came into the convention with a better feeling about Obama and a much less feeling about John McCain and his ability to make good judgments and be a decent President. Any lingering bitterness over the primary is gone. All doubts that Obama has the ability to be president is gone. And I might add it took all three great speeches taken together to make me come to that conclusion that there is no shadow of doubt that Obama is the man to be President.

Hillary would have made a great president too. But that option is off the table. It is time to rally behind Obama.

All in all though, Hillary I think was the best orator. Bill Clinton connected personally the best. The love and thanksgiving from the people went to Ted Kennedy. But the nod has to overall go to Obama in that he is the one that had to convince people that his judgment was better than McCains. The Clintons nor anyone else could do that except Obama. Speech points by the experts may rightfully give the nod to Hillary on points alone. But it was Obama that delivered what he HAD to deliver to have a shot at the presidency. And that was what the Democratic Convention was about.

What are the other editorial comments on the speeches at the Democratic Convention.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

I thought Teddy and Michelle were the best. Michelle's speech gave me chills a couple of times. Hillary spoke well, but somehow I didn't feel she was sincere. She had some great sound bites; but while her mouth was saying "back Obama" her eyes were saying I can't believe I lost to this guy. Actually I thought Bo Biden spoke well too. Obama was pretty good but I have seen him do better.

3. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

in my estimation, no one.

4. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    WJC. I miss his state-of-the-unions.

( I did not hear Teddie or Michelle's)

5. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hillary's speech was the best. Bill had the people going crazy. He had to literally get mad at the people to get them to quiet down. Obama tried to pull the same thing at Mile High but I couldn't really hear much crowd after the initial cheer. He kept saying "thank you thaaaaaank you", but 80,000 people at that point didn't seem too loud, I think he was just trying to match Clinton's ovation.

6. B_Jaunet

B_Jaunet New Member

Hillary did.

The woman is more intelligent and capable and Presidential than any candidate we've seen in the last twenty-five years.

Her speech was inspired and hallmark Hillary. She didn't miss a beat.

Bill's (from a party unification POV) was a close second.

7. Northland

Gold Member

I'll go with Caroline Kennedy-she amazed me with her poise and delivery.

And over on the side of the men, I will hand it to Barney Smith. An every day man who made a connection and got an idea across.

The problem I have with most politicians and their crap is that they have all learned to speak and say whatever they figure will get them elected-in other words there's very little in the way of genuine within their manufacturings. At the end, the bottom line for them is always getting a vote.

8. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I noticed this as well; it seemed rather contrived. The elation for Bill was genuine, and while you could tell he really didn't want them to stop, he figured he'd better tamp it down so as not to upstage Biden or Obama's receptions.

Hillary's speech was brilliant... a perfect balance of not overly supportive of Obama and party unifying feel-good lines. It was her first of the 2012 campaign.

Draft saved Draft deleted