Who here can quilt?

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know an odd question, but I'm courious, who all here can quilt? Like buy the fabric by the yard cut it up sew it back and make a quilt? Either by machine or by hand. I can, I have made several quilt's. I can do it all by machine or all by hand which ever I choose to do.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
nope. my great grandmother tried to teach me. after the fourth blood transfusion she decided blunted needles were a better/safer idea. she settled for teaching me to knit.

LPSG Crafter?

ML

will make angora cock socks for anyone who asks.

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nude, that's beautiful! I'm hand quilting a grandmothers flower garden that has been in my family for years. Time is a major issue!

Mickey, my grandmother tryed to teach me to knit and gave up and taught me how to quilt! LOL. I could use a angora cock sock by the way ;)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
nope. my great grandmother tried to teach me. after the fourth blood transfusion she decided blunted needles were a better/safer idea. she settled for teaching me to knit.

LPSG Crafter?

ML

will make angora cock socks for anyone who asks.

I can't knit yet somehow I have balls of cashmere that are dying to be turned into socks!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nude, that's beautiful! I'm hand quilting a grandmothers flower garden that has been in my family for years. Time is a major issue!

Mickey, my grandmother tryed to teach me to knit and gave up and taught me how to quilt! LOL. I could use a angora cock sock by the way ;)

Thanks...This has been a self taught[ thing, Hawaiian quilts cost thousands of dollars for the good ones, and a friend of mine and I in Hawaii bought the kit, it's about half done!

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My Granny taught me to sew,(still have her treadle machine, all covered in gold leaf sphinxes, as well as my great-great grandmothers) I haven't ever made a quilt. I was interested in making a fur one back in the 70's but never did more than think about it.

I have a couple of chests full of of family ones.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
alas, i do not know how to quilt.
i believe i could do it though.
but i think that would require a
lot of time to make available to
this newfound enterprise. any time
i have at present is consumed in other
ways.
quilting is remarkable talent and hats off
to anyone to be so brilliant at such detail.
and in the end - the making of a quilt is to
produce a textile that is not only beautiful
but that will provide someone with warmth.
right?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't knit yet somehow I have balls of cashmere that are dying to be turned into socks!

socks are my all time favorite thing to knit. *squee* took me forever to get turning a heel down. rasafrasa gaps in the gusset :12:

so coveting the cashmere yarn.

ML

your quilt is amazing. the colors and quilting... just wow.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

grandmothers - infinite patience and the grace to recognize a lost cause. i must have stabbed myself or that poor woman two million times.

ya know at some point i may have actually quilted my great gran. :redface:

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOL MickeyLee, I stabbed my grandmother a thousand times at least. When we would go to their house I would sit in the floor at her feet and she taught me how to sew by hand. I prefer machine. LOL. I'm working on a Celtic Rose Window design by Karen Combs right now. I took her color plate and tossed it out the window and did my own of Gold purple and a Batik green leaf pattern. I will post pics tomorrow while I have it ruff layed out on the bed. Then if I am lucky one of the top done. I will also toss in a pic of the grandmothers flower garden I am doing by hand.

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your not useless Stacy! Don't ever put your self down because of what you can not do! And I bet if you got a few books from the library took a few classes and contacted your local quilt quild you can learn all of these wonderful things in time! Hell, even going to a few local nursing homes and volunteering not only will you make great friend's with countless knoldege but a few or alot of them could teach you at least on of the things you wish to learn.

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I know how to make a quilt, but I'm just not very patient with it. I've made several quilt tops to donate to my mother's women's group at her church as fundraisers. They raffle off about 8-10 hand-quilted quilts per year at their summer social.

I'm in the process of making one for myself right now. I'm going to have my sister finish it on her quilting machine.

The few quilts I've made from start to finish have been crib-sized and were given to friends who just had babies.