who here likes animal abuse?!?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_N Flay Table, Jul 24, 2007.

1. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

I sure as shit don't.
    but a member has been running around the board posting anti animal abuse babble on the board..
    Did I miss something?
    Is this board friendly to people that abuse animals?
    Were there posts that I missed about the fun of abusing animals?
    can someone help me out?

2. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Are we talking bestiality?

3. burns1de

Gold Member

I'm the kind of animal that likes to be abused... especially by large-breasted women.

4. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

You'll have to define "abuse".

Is, say, dog racing abuse? Horse racing? Animals in petting zoos? Sea lions trained to balance things on their noses? Pet dogs kept outside all winter? Ant farms? Lobsters boiled in water?

I know someone who believes that keeping tropical fish is abuse.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The only thing I remember recently is some sports person owning a dog fight club!

6. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

Im talking about people abusing, beating, and mistreating animals.
    I just feel that the posts that keep popping up are about as relevant here as people coming on here talking about the enviroment.
    this is a very liberal site.
    I don't think anyone here would condone animal abuse.

7. B_big dirigible

True, nevertheless.

She is, of course, a whackjob. The point is that "abuse" is to a surprising degree in the eye of the beholder. A useful discussion can't simply skip the definitions.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you.

Of course, that doesn't seem to stand in the way of some people who are afflicted with chronic cases of oral diarrhea....

9. B_big dirigible

The definitions, while boring, are part of what makes the difference between informative discussions and mere rants.

10. Kenyth

Kenyth New Member

Albums:
    WTF? Any type of abuse is BAD! No matter how you define it!

11. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

The broad spectrum of abuse is vast. And really hard to put limits on. I'd say that basic things like not providing food, fresh water, shelter, human or animal companionship is abuse. Domesticated animals were domesticated to be our pets, and will resort to wild instincts if left to fend for themselves. Not providing proper health care to an animal, or proper living space for caged animals for example:
    Lots of space
    Abuse
    I think that altering any animal if not used to purpose like to stop breeding, or to fix an internal problem is abuse, using animals for fur, killing wild animals like tigers and elephants for their bi-products is also abuse.

12. dong20

Gold Member

I posted this in the other thread. I don't know why there is a need for two addressing the exact same issue at the same time. The usual LPSG overkill I suppose.

Except where they kill and/or eat them. From a human perspective abuse is subjective at best, from the animal's it's almost entirely unknown, and probably almost entirely unknowable.

Or Orca tease seals/penguins, or Chimps gang up and attack pretty much whatever they feel like, just for fun so it seems. I get tired of people saying how 'noble and pure at heart' animals are. I doubt a lion appreciates it's nobility as perceived by human sentimentality.

That said, I suppose for most species, being under no delusions of morality limited behaviour perhaps that's true. But the higher primates and dolphins for example I'm not convinced there isn't a significant degree of self awareness and thus cognitive intent behind some of their more ignoble actions (as we see them) that should give us pause before making such fanciful generalisations.

Deliberate, intentional (or indirect by negligence) animal abuse is wrong, end of story. Overly sentimentalising animals is foolish at best, and deadly at worst. Punishing an animal in the way we punish each other requires understanding of the 'rules' that it has breached, that's probably unlikely at any level beyond the instinctive for most animals. In that sense pain and reward are certainly strong motivators for behavioural change, we share that with most species we would seek to domesticate. The skill is knowing which is appropriate for any given situation.

When does discipline become abuse, that's hard enough with humans, especially children, with animals it's a crap shoot.

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Yes a strange post i read late last night. I couldnt make heads or tails out of it. The OP said that if we hear of animal or child abuse in the news we must call local police and not post about on here. Some strange posts lately indeed............:confused:

14. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    keeping tropical fish is abuse..

15. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I thought he was talking about naming poodles "Fifi."

or leather or meat?

16. dong20

Gold Member

It's abuse if the animals are mistreated. Otherwise it's animal husbandry. depending on the legality of the products of course.

It's important I think to make a distinction between physical abuse (cruelty) or 'abuse' of another kind - they're an endangered species, or because only a tiny part is used and the rest discarded, or because they're 'cute'. I'm not suggesting the last is your argument but it's one I've heard often enough.

These are the same people who hand on heart believe that lions chasing down game (for example) is cruel. Then go out and eat burgers for dinner.:rolleyes:

17. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

It makes me sad to see a bird in a cage. Fish in a small aquarium doesn't make me happy either. Zoos? They are getting better. Sometimes you can tell some of the animals are insane from years of pacing the borders of their cages.

18. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

What beautifull world we live in. Your getting a bath and thats final!

19. dreamer20

Gold Member

20. agnslz

Gold Member

I don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted