who here likes animal abuse?!?

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think anybody in here condones animal abuse. There was just some crazy poster who thought her watching a video of a bear being disrespected was our fault.:rolleyes:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think anybody in here condones animal abuse. There was just some crazy poster who thought her watching a video of a bear being disrespected was our fault.:rolleyes:
Well, you see, if I knew who that crazy ass fucking retard was- I'd tell her exactly about how the way me & a bunch of my other friends here do not take abuse on bears.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Abusing a animal is wrong and it shouldn't be tolerated.
Again, without a definition of "abusing", this statement is meaningless.

I know an old bat who dyes her dog's naturally white fur orange for Halloween, and dyes his tail green, the idea being to suggest a pumpkin with a green stem. The dog, of course, has no idea what's going on; he spends his days barking at squirrels, as usual.

I can honestly say that, harmless though that seems to be, I'd never do it to a dog. But does that mean that I'd characterize her as "abusive"? Or is she just afflicted with bad taste?

Caelestis

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know an old bat who dyes her dog's naturally white fur orange for Halloween, and dyes his tail green, the idea being to suggest a pumpkin with a green stem. The dog, of course, has no idea what's going on; he spends his days barking at squirrels, as usual.

I can honestly say that, harmless though that seems to be, I'd never do it to a dog. But does that mean that I'd characterize her as "abusive"? Or is she just afflicted with bad taste?

No, I'm sorry. That's totally unacceptable. One minute you're making multi-coloured dogs, next you're shagging on top of a bear corpse!

It's a thin line dude, a thin line...

:joke:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Again, without a definition of "abusing", this statement is meaningless.

I agree, but I don't you will get an answer, at least not one that many here will agree on. I posted the following in the warm and fuzzy thread, before I lost the will to live. I've coloured the bits that I think relate at least indirectly to that question.

Fourth
Animal desecration, the use of desecration generally implies a religious context. Not many modern religions (continue) to use animal idolatry or hold animals sacred, I think the world you’re looking for is disrespect. Though how many animals would have an understanding of that concept is questionable.

I would however wager that none are likely to understand our concept of desecration. They do understand pain, neglect, hunger and being subjected to unnatural and stressful situations and actions. I’m not convinced at this point we need look deeper, into animal morality isn’t that enough?

Fifth
Animal rights is a big, and growing issue, remember it wasn’t that long ago that the sick and insane were treated little if any better than animals. That is no longer acceptable. Animal mistreatment such as bear baiting, dog fighting and so on were commonplace and perfectly legal until comparatively recently, in many places they still are and in many more they are tolerated by way of inaction even where they are illegal. Again, acceptance that this is wrong is growing.

Abuse of animals for medical purposes is another hot topic. However, there is less consensus on this - because our interests as humans are in now more clearly in the mix. How many of us have used drugs, cosmetics or other products that have been developed based on practices that we choose to turn a blind eye to? Many of us deem such research immoral for some products (cosmetics perhaps) but no for others (drugs). The sad reality is that many more simply don’t care, or have never even considered the issue.

Legislation exists to deal with these and other such issues, it may not be as effective as we’d like, but at least it exists. Step back a few generations - holding many of the views we take for granted today would have been tantamount to heresy. Times change and while the frameworks within which our societies exist may change quickly our basic nature changes much more gradually. This isn’t an excuse for inaction; merely a reflection of the way humans tends to prioritise.

Sixth
There is an annoying habit people have of sentimentalising animals in a way that serves no purpose but their own; such actions rarely if ever help the animal. There is a grey area where such treatment could arguably be called abuse by any sensible definition of the word; forcing animals to behave in ways other than they would do so naturally is coercion. I would never knowingly mistreat any animal, but I am willing to concede that there may have been instances where I have done so involuntarily or unwittingly.

For example, we as humans decide that our pet likes to do XYZ for example. But that decision is based on what….that pet’s oral or written consent? No, it’s based on an irrational anthropomorphisization of its response. The pet doesn’t cry out, therefore it likes it. Horses continue running after their rider falls thus they like being used for our sport.

Like you, I used to own horses many years ago. They are wonderful, intuitive creatures not blessed with a surfeit of intelligence certainly but no less deserving of good treatment for that. I never really knew if as an owner I was loved, despised or merely tolerated, by my horses. I suspect, at times probably all three.

The point being that our motivation for the treatment of animals may be benign but the end result may be less so. Harm, even if unintentional is still harm.

wingnut84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
To me there's no question that the chickens, turkeys, cows and pigs you eat were all abused. I'm not saying it's always wrong to eat animal flesh, but the conditions in which most of our meat is raised is appalling. Unfortunately this is why it's so cheap too and that's all most people care about.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To me there's no question that the chickens, turkeys, cows and pigs you eat were all abused. I'm not saying it's always wrong to eat animal flesh, but the conditions in which most of our meat is raised is appalling. Unfortunately this is why it's so cheap too and that's all most people care about.

I care about it actualy, thats one of the reasons I will never eat KFC, nor do I buy cheap meats (I shop at one of those Natural type stores that feeds the animals well and alows roaming) when I buy them, though when I have to save money (happens often) I end up buying cheap things that in turn conflict with this...

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The broad spectrum of abuse is vast. And really hard to put limits on. I'd say that basic things like not providing food, fresh water, shelter, human or animal companionship is abuse. Domesticated animals were domesticated to be our pets, and will resort to wild instincts if left to fend for themselves. Not providing proper health care to an animal, or proper living space for caged animals for example:
Lots of space
Abuse
I think that altering any animal if not used to purpose like to stop breeding, or to fix an internal problem is abuse, using animals for fur, killing wild animals like tigers and elephants for their bi-products is also abuse.

This sounds exactly like my view on the subject, only worded better than I ever could.