Who is the smartest person you personally know?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Apr 28, 2011.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

2. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    I guess one of the smartest people I know IRL is a younger male who entered university at the age of 16 as a sophomore. By his young 20s he had completed one undergraduate degree, a graduate degree and a specialty degree. It really isn't just his impressive schooling that makes him so whip smart IMO; it's also his really observant nature and his ability to pretty much always offer the soundest, sagest and most peaceful advice. He never speaks an unkind word about anyone, and he is honest without being brutal. He is the least judgmental person I know. He's also one of the most modest people I have ever met.

#2 Enid, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've met some very intelligent people in my travels yet I feel the most intelligent person I actually know is someone whom I used to date. He is a medical research scientist; he literally is trying to cure cancer. I learned a great deal from him and he has a delightful sense of humor but for all his intelligence he does not have a lick of common sense.

4. MickeyLee

Gold Member

the monk. he is transcendent. :smile:

Pops Del. photographer, world traveler, sage like and kind.

Josh. creepy smart.

5. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's quite often that way, it seems, hehe.

Will have to think about that, in terms of who I know irl - but on here, Hhuck, Jason and Maxcok strike me as being particularly intelligent - in different ways.

6. Jason

Gold Member

Different sorts of intelligence.

A guy I know who learnt Shakespeare off by heart. I tested him; he really knew the lot. He learnt Italian by memorising operas and it was certainly good enough to hold a conversation on Italian art/history/culture, though may have failed to order a pizza. Brain wired oddly, but he is brilliant.

A guy very learned and amazingly intelligent, knowing his subject and lots more very well and able to reason in breathtaking ways. He's had a breakdown and now does a professional though routine job.

People with social intelligence. I know a guy who can walk into a big conference and in five minutes be chatting with the keynote speaker, who can talk with the most senior member of the organisation about holidays or families or whatever.

Then there's emotional intelligence. I worked for a time in a job where around a quarter left with a breakdown (starting with 1 year of sick leave). I've come to appreciate the qualities of those who can stand this pressure and not crack. (In case anyone wonders I negotiated an exit package before finding out whether I could stand it - some employers aren't worth working for).

Spiritual intelligence. People who perceive God. People who don't perceive God after looking.

7. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

I personally know a lot of very clever people but two gents in particular stand out.

These gents are razor sharp, "difficult" and use their intellect like a weapon.

8. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Hickboy.

But seriously, ManlyBanisters and her family are all brilliant people. They stand out in my mind.

I can think of three people I know who are way-the-fuck-out-there smart, and they all share one gift - they can cut through the bullshit, and give you a simple answer. They aren't afraid of complexity, but they are able to see beyond and between extraneous factors and get to a solution. In an age where people consider verbosity a sign of intelligence, their gifts are a breath of fresh air.

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

The smartest person I know was the head of the auditing department at a multinational bank. He spoke 5 languages, taught himself 3 of them, had a razor sharp memory and is an excellent bridge player now in his retirement.

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with Jason that people can be intelligent in different respects. I once briefly shared an apartment with a guy who was a graduate student in applied physics at Stanford University. The toilet had a faulty valve that would sometimes stay open after the toilet was flushed, so that the water would run indefinitely without filling the tank. When I mentioned this to my apartment mate, who held the lease, he said, "I guess I'll have to call a plumber." It did not occur to him that you might fix the problem by simply rattling the handle to make the valve settle into place, or that one could lift the lid on the tank to see what was going on. That sort of task was completely beyond him! But he could do research at the Stanford Linear Accelerator.

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I like this. I vastly prefer intellect being used to put across complex ideas in a simple way, so everyone can understand - rather than just spouting clever-sounding words to confuse ppl and piss them off.

12. midlifebear

Gold Member

Can we name names? To date (and this is my 65th year) the one person in my life who has displayed the broadest as well as in depth human knowledge of science, arts, general culture and all facets of the human condition with both alacrity and aplomb is a man whom I loved deeply as a close friend. For many years he was patient enough to put up with my "imaginative" ways and although a hopeless bisexual he was always available for taking long, caring naps with me. We traveled Mexico and Central America together. One day in his mid 30s he pulled a "Razor's Edge" and disappeared -- first to Spencer, South Dakota, and later Sioux Falls, SD.

He's an artist's artist. I haven't seen him since 1980, yet the walls of my houses are covered with his water colors, acrylics, oils, photocopies from sketch books, and several hundred pounds of fired clay in the form of bowls, decorative pots, giant celadon colored vases, all made from his own clay recipes. His "box" constructions are marvels of stunning intelligence. But my most favorite possession/momento -- a miniature pencil sketch, is just an after thought he whipped up on a scrap of Royal Water Color Society paper while sucking down a gin and tonic, on which he wrote the title "Far Flung Gonads." I had it carefully framed and mounted on acid-free paper. Everyone who discovers it in its special niche makes a favorable comment.

He is also a master gardener.

A few years ago I wrote a check for a couple of thousand dollars to a private detective, just to find out if he's still alive. He is. And the list of his accomplishments the detective provided left me with a sense that I was never really worthy enough to have considered him a close friend. Still, the money was well spent. It provided me with a list of several art dealers who represent his work in the USA and Europe allowing me to keep up with his output and buy more of his work.

That reminds me, I still owe him $20.

13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

At least you can identify. :biggrin1:

14. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    It would have to be one my very best friends. He passed about 10 years ago. His parents admitted him to mental institution in Nebraska back in the 40s because he was gay. He finally ran away and hitched a ride to California. He lived on the street initially, then later started a business which made him very wealthy.

He never made it as far as high school; yet he was the smartest person I've ever known. He absorbed knowledge like a sponge. His one intellectual flaw was that he was entirely incapable of learning a foreign language which I found easy myself.

He had very few friends and tolerated no bull shit. Yet to his small circle of friends he treated us like family. I miss him a lot and think about him often.

15. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

A guy gentleman i work with who currently hold 2 unrelated university degrees and speaks 2 languages. However i think most impressively is the fact that he does have a vast amount of street smart's and does not wield any of this over anyone.

A very humble and smart young man indeed.

16. bryan257

bryan257 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Jason you're right, like your thoughts on the subject, but... dude I could not focus as closely on what you were saying because I was getting really distracted by your avatar pic--your package. hahahaa

ok, i'm kidding and joking around here, but let's give our "other" head some credit. There's a lot to be said for the intelligence men use when we think with our "other" heads. and Jason, with that said, judging by your avatar pic, wow, your "other" head could put out a lot of intelligent things and give you some great ideas.

hahahaha. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

sorry, just having some fun. hope I made you smile. carry on with the thread. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted