Who is to say what is offensive?

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do you know the difference between an adjective and an adverb?

Adjective = Modifies a noun.

"Good" is an adjective.

Adverb = Modifies a verb.

"Well" is an adverb.

So, you used "spell" as a verb. That means the proper modifier to express the meaning you wish to convey (that her spelling is good) is "well." So, if you are going to write using proper grammar you would write:

"You spell pretty well for a dumbass."

I just wanted to make sure you were celebrating your heritage as an English speaker fully.
I did not know there would be a grammar lesson The perks here are what keep me returning.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media

Adjective = Modifies a noun.

"Good" is an adjective.

Adverb = Modifies a verb.

"Well" is an adverb.

So, you used "spell" as a verb. That means the proper modifier to express the meaning you wish to convey (that her spelling is good) is "well." So, if you are going to write using proper grammar you would write:

"You spell pretty well for a dumbass."

I just wanted to make sure you were celebrating your heritage as an English speaker fully.

I say ain't and y'all too jackass. I know the rules of english. I even follow them when I'm writing a paper that's going to be graded.

On message boards I usually adopt my native vernacular. It feels more honest and less prissy/conceited.

But hey, thanks for making us aware of your brilliance.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
I don't often agree with Shelby, but when I read his post, I understood that he was being facetious. Right, Shelby?

And Naughty, I'm so happy for you that people feel righteous indignation on your behalf, especially since you aren't able to do so on your own behalf... about your own avatar.:confused:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't often agree with Shelby, but when I read his post, I understood that he was being facetious. Right, Shelby?

And Naughty, I'm so happy for you that people feel righteous indignation on your behalf, especially since you aren't able to do so on your own behalf... about your own avatar.:confused:

DC, you are one of the main reasons I love this forum. I love your intelligence, wit, and the occasional bit of sarcasm.:smile:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm only really offended by stupidity, and that includes people who are often too easily offended. Of course we all have our own opinions of what's right and what's wrong, and if you don't stand up for what you feel is right and don't get indignant when you see something you feel is wrong, then who will? Saying that nothing should offend anyone is approaching moral relativism and saying that there are only certain things that should or should not offend people is moral centrism. I'm personally of the opinion that truth lies somewhere inbetween. The best way to figure out if something is truly offensive or inappropriate is to discuss its meaning openly, candidly, and rationally, and then try to reach a reasonable consensus.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At least you get to celebrate your heritage.

Sometimes it feels like no matter what, ethnic minorities still do and always will see me as this.
Well, you just now proved that a picture is indeed worth a 1,000 words, rather eloquently, I might add.

Then keep your sheets on your bed. Your avatar is vile, reprehensible and offensive. Collecting black memorabilia is not 'celebrating.' But i suspect you know that and that you want to hurt and offend others.
Dig it, that representation is the quintessential anachromy of hatred, so why don't you keep it to yourself if you have to.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm only really offended by stupidity, and that includes people who are often too easily offended. Of course we all have our own opinions of what's right and what's wrong, and if you don't stand up for what you feel is right and don't get indignant when you see something you feel is wrong, then who will? Saying that nothing should offend anyone is approaching moral relativism and saying that there are only certain things that should or should not offend people is moral centrism. I'm personally of the opinion that truth lies somewhere inbetween. The best way to figure out if something is truly offensive or inappropriate is to discuss its meaning openly, candidly, and rationally, and then try to reach a reasonable consensus.

And if more people could think that clearly and honestly, war might be an obsolete concept.

Very wise and insightful of you. Thanks for being you.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Shelby:

A week or so ago (in the firemen thread) weren't you exposing and provoking those who portray themselves as victims?

Here's quote I was thinking of:

I wanted to see just how desperately and to what lengths people are willing to go to hang on the title of victim.

Then today you portray yourself as: a victim.

At least you get to celebrate your heritage.

Sometimes it feels like no matter what, ethnic minorities still do and always will see me as this.

What gives?

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
I only put the KKK avatar up to make a point.

My original post in the thread will no longer make sense but I'm going to change my avatar back anyway because it will be way too much trouble continually having to explain.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Two general household products, both of them representing black depictions, yet no one finds them offensive. Aunt Jemima pancake & syrup, and Uncle Ben's rice.

You mean subservient black depictions. When was the last time you got a good look at those two? They are no longer dressed as servants. Someone must have been offended.

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I only put the KKK avatar up to make a point.​

My original post in the thread will no longer make sense but I'm going to change my avatar back anyway because it will be way too much trouble continually having to explain.​
I find your new avatar of the love child of Ron Jeremy and Rosie O'Donnell to be offensive.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Branding of any kind is much more recent than the civil war.

Grew up in the Florida, and a curiousity of branding was that the same items by the same companies were differently packaged for sale in grocery stores in black areas, several showed a black person rather than a white person.

When I went shopping with a male room mate, I observed that he bought the one brand of paper towels with a picture of a guy on it, I had bought that brand in the past, but did not have any introspection into my own motivation.:redface:

I once got into serious trouble with a black friend, she was the minister for the local MCC, for mentioning the 'W' word.:eek:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm sure it's pretty obvious, but has anyone else noticed how McDonald's is so aggressively marketing toward "ethnic" stereotypes now? Almost all of their radio ads anymore prominently feature characters speaking with heavy "urban" or "latino" accents and speech patterns. They figure they've made all the white folks fat enough I guess (or maybe they're just tired of losing them to Atkins and Weight Watchers?), time to find some replacement fatties.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You mean subservient black depictions. When was the last time you got a good look at those two? They are no longer dressed as servants. Someone must have been offended.

Uncle Ben got a minor tweaking, but Aunt Jemimah got the 50's housewife/Black Betty Crocker make over courtesy of the NAACP. Al Sharpton even chimed in on the debate with that one I think. It's been so long ago and I thought it was kind of stupid, but the theory was that our young black women needed decent realtime role models and seeing Aunt Jemimah the pickaninny on the box was damaging.

Yeah right, so instead of Aunt Jemimah the pickaninny we have Lil' Kim as a good role model? *sigh*

If we need good female role models in the black community, look to Oprah Winfrey, Gayle King, Robin Roberts, Iman (my personal fave), Corretta Scott King, Marian Anderson, Hattie McDaniel AKA Mammy, and yes Butterfly McQueen who played Prissy. I could go on for days. there are so many other good role models out there that maybe rather then worrying about a pancake box, they should have pointed out the women making a difference.

BTW, Both Hattie McDaniel and Butterlfy McQueen had distinguished careers and both won awards.

Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for her GWTW performance and later willed said award to Howard University upon her death.

Butterfly McQueen got a Daytime Emmy for her role in an ABC Afterschool Special.

Gee and they both started out portraying "negative" stereotypes. Interesting.:afro: :yeah:

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Aunt Jemimah got the 50's housewife/Black Betty Crocker make over courtesy of the NAACP. Al Sharpton even chimed in on the debate

Hey, she got made over to look like him! A nice roller wrap/press'n'curl just like mama'nem back in the day...

*Gosh Naughty, you really must hate me...*

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey, she got made over to look like him! A nice roller wrap/press'n'curl just like mama'nem back in the day...

*Gosh Naughty, you really must hate me...*

Don't you blaspheme up in hea boy! :biggrin1:

I never thought about it but I guess they did use the Rev's hair person for the update.