Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm going out on a date with a new girl who wanted to get some sushi. I have never had sushi before so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on sushi.

Who Likes it?
What type is your favorite?
What was your first sushi you had?
Is there any type of sushi that would be good for first time sushi eaters?

I asked a few of my friends and they all said California roll... I didn't want to get that because I hear thats "not real sushi".

Any suggestions? :biggrin1:

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love sushi. As for as suggesting things for a first timer, to be honest, i treally depends on your palette. If you're a vegetarian, there are veggie rolls. There are rolls that feature fried foods like calamari.

If I were you, I'd try a few items. Go for the California. Try the tsunami roll, if you can. Perhpas you might like something with eel in it. This is a prime opportunity for you not only to experiment, but to rely on your date's input as well.

Keep us posted on how things shake out.

Blessings

red7.5

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love sushi.....almost as much as tex-mex. And for a Texan that's saying something. California Rolls are the gateway sushi for most people. Other good newbi rolls are softshell crab (the crab is cooked) and tuna rolls. Real sushi is really the raw fish over rice in a bite size concoction. But these days we tend to call anything with raw fish sushi. I would try a salmon sushi. Once you get past the idea of eating raw fish, salmon is spectacular....it just melts in your mouth. I usually get slamon "sashimi" which is just slices of raw fish. And I'll get yellowfin tuna "sashimi" some spanish mackrel sushi and then 3 or 4 different rolls. Most sushi places have a yakotori or robata grill on which they cook stuff. Good Luck!

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sushi rocks! Looks great, tastes amazing. Fun to eat, too. One of the best high-protein, low-fat, med-carb diets around. Just gotta watch the salt intake but if you avoid eating too much of the fried stuff and limit the soy sauce you'll really enjoy the meal.

If you're a newbie, though, I'd steer clear of the raw fish versions, except for the salmon. Might be a bit too challenging and if you're on a date, its not very exciting for your gf to see you throwing up...

TomSchmo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Go with the rolls first, I'd recommend the california roll, then you can go for the kind that is just a piece of fish on top of a rice patty.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You might not be ready for the octopus or squid; to me they are too chewy, but being in Tennnesse, it might be the shipping or preparation. Most other fish goes down quite easily. I usually mix some soy sauce and wasabi in a small dish and dip the sushi in it.

My favorite is the unagi, or barbequed eel.

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Since you're new to it, let this be an opportunity for you and your date to bond by having her teach you. Be a complete newbie; she'll love introducing you to something new. [Obligatory LPSG comment] Then later you can introduce her to something new!

Waruiko_ne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I asked a few of my friends and they all said California roll... I didn't want to get that because I hear thats "not real sushi".

I totally agree. I hate California Rolls.
Smoked Salmon is good.
Unagi is good.
But my favorite is Crazy Maki (Spicy Shrimp Maki). That was the first one that I've ever tried and I make sure I get it all the time when I hit up a Sushi Bar.

LePetit

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Everyone had great suggestions. I like Channelwood's suggestion best. You'll make major points by admitting you're a sushi virgin and hold her opinion in high regard.

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I prefer the vegetable sushi because I don't care for the texture of the raw fish in my mouth. The taste doesn't bother me, just the texture. The Unagi is a good choice if you don't like fish, as well as the soft shell crab roll. You might also try the Ebi shrimp which is a pretty good choice for a beginner. Don't drown it in soy sauce though. You can overpower it and miss out on the flavors.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I still like the "original" sushi. Raw and steamed oysters on a cracker with cocktail sauce. I tried sushi, from the starter to the more exotic bites. But one thing I have found, when it's prepared properly that is incredible is Ceviche. But that's more a method of cooking seafood with citric acid than it is raw Japanese sushi. Conch is delicious. Alaskan crab, shrimp, crawfish, lobster, mussels, scallops and other shellfish are awesome too. Cajun style is fantastic as well. If I'm not careful I can over indulge beyond reason. It's all so good you can lose track of how much you've consumed.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Practice using chopsticks.You can feign innocense but won't drop something. Spicy tuna rolls usually feature barely seared tuna but the tast and texture are great, accessible for the newbie.
A lot of it depends on the place. Maybe you can get some recommendations. For example, where I live, my favorite place has a completely lackluster regualr menu but has all kinds of "specials" posted on blackboards in the suchi bar area. Most of them are fantastic.
Dave

Love sushi. First ordered sashimi at the original Legal Seafood in Boston when I was 10 or 11. My father told me not to order it, the waiter was like, "You know that's raw fish, right?" but I did anyway because I have an adventurous streak when it comes to food and I've never been afraid to send something back. I loved it.

I first had sushi sushi when I was 17 at a conveyor belt place in the Galleria mall in Westchester. I took a big honking wad of wasabi and ate it whole. Big mistake! My vision faded into something resembling a snowy TV set and my ears burned. Ate the first piece on a dare, loved it, ordered more. Spent nearly all my spending money on sushi.

Since then... I've loved it.

I don't like California rolls as they have cucumber in them. Otherwise I'm good to go. I favor the plain nigiri over the rolls though do love the salmon skin handroll and roe-based battleship pieces. Flying fish egg is one of my faves as is fatty tuna, octopus, sweet shrimp, and mackerel.

My sister started on eel rolls and hasn't looked back. Eel is fantastic. One of the best. Defintiely try it.

Yeah, don't worry about the chopstick thing. Most people eat it with their fingers though how you eat it is of some debate. Some people are insistent that sushi is properly eaten by inverting the fish, dipping the fish in soy sauce, then eating it. Others like to put the wasabi in the soy sauce to taste and then dip the rice in the soy sauce. The truth is people in Japan do it both ways and there is no one correct way to do it. Eat it however you like, with chopsticks or without, with extra wasabi or none, rice or fish in the soy sauce. So long as you enjoy it, you're doing fine.