Who Likes Sushi?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have tried sushi before. I am not really a fan of it. I am just used to food being cooked.
Sushi reminds me too much of Jackson Pollack haute cuisine. It looks too pretty. Should I polyurethane it all and hang it on my wall?

More for the sushi/sashimi aficionados.

B_Hornaplenty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sushi is tasty and healthy food. It's been around for a longgggg time, but only during the last 20 years has become an adventure for Americans, due to our people who went to Japan for business, and found a love for sushi when they tried the Japanese cuisine. Soon enough people wanted it, and as you know, "if you build it they will come!"

People who have a sensitive palate, and genuinely want to expand their eating experience will like sushi. Those who don't like it seem to be unable to get past the mental image of eating a cold uncooked fish. The other related issues are that the fish must be very fresh, the rice should be slightly sticky and not cold, the rice must be properly seasoned (it isn't just plain rice), and the sushi must be freshly made, (not pre-made and kept in a cooler like so many markets do).

Sushi is made in small, bite-size components, because it is intended to be handled with chopsticks. The pieces are served with soy sauce, and dipping the sushi pieces in it make the food much more palatable. Adding some wasabi (a spicy green horseradish) will add some zest to the taste.

Roll sushi comes with sliced fish, or sliced cucumber, or other items rolled in a layer of rice, and wrapped in nori, which is a refined seaweed. Fish sushi is a small slice of fish laid on a pat of rice. All of it is great. My favorites are smoked eel, salmon, mackerel, and giant clam.

Go with your friend, without any hang-ups, and look forward to something special. Like so many who have already posted here, I think you will like it.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Love it! I was surprised since I'm very squeamish about meat, but fish is different... I can handle some types of raw fish (particularly salmon).

Favorites are unagi and smoked salmon.

And I love to dip the wasabi in the soy sauce and then dip the sushi in that... :smile: Yum...

D_Deceptivus Wrongpeter

Experimental Member
Media
I started eating sushi in 1978. It was so exotic, I had to go to down town LA into "Little Tokyo" for it. I was the only white guy in the place, and nothing was in English.

Now that I've established my "Old Man of the Sea(weed)" credentials, here are some menu suggestions.

Note:
(1) Every sushi joint fixes these selections.
(2) None are really that expensive. Do not comment adversely on the price. I used to work in a fish market. The quality of the fish presented and the cleanliness of the kitchens is remarkable.
(3) The names I am giving you are in English (The Japanese takes a while to sink in)
(4) They are in order of "adventurousness". Nothing will make you go "ick".
(5) Just have a piece or two.
(6) Go lightly with the wasabe (green horseradish) and soy sauce.
(7) You will be served a small dish of pickled ginger. Take a slice between sushi. It is on the table to clean your pallet. Do not eat it like candy.
(8) It is perfectly acceptable to pick the sushi up with your fingers HOWEVER, don't bite into it like a roll - put the whole confection in your mouth.

Menu Suggestions:

Egg Sushi (a sweet-ish egg layer over rice. As safe as it gets)

"Football" Sushi (Inari Sushi - A pouch of fried tofu filled with just sushi rice. Very safe)

California Roll (Yes, this is American, but it's here for a reason. Many people do not like the taste of the seaweed wrap of traditional Sushi. This substitutes the seaweed with a shell of rice. The fillings are always American-friendly)

Ebi Shrimp - Cooked shrimp. No seaweed.

Smoked Eel - Ditto for eel. Usually glazed with a slightly sweet sauce.

Cucumber rolls, crab rolls (Cigar sized confections of shredded cucumber or imitation crab wrapped in white rice and seaweed.)

Futomaki (no English equivalent - assorted Japanese ingredients in a sweet fermented sauce (or something like that) Very tasty.)

Salmon Roll (Very small slices of salmon wrapped up in rice and seaweed. Pleasant tasting)

Tuna (comes in a variety of presentations. Pleasant tasting.)

Spicy Tuna (similar to above, except a spicy sauce is added. Somewhat similar to Chipotle sauce. Distinctive and delicious)

If you are presented with octopus or squid: Both are delicious (on their own terms). The flavors are actually very muted, but be prepared to chew. The squid will be served as an anonymous slab of white meat, however octopus is served with the suction cups. Off-putting if you are caught by surprise.

Everything on this list is "lightly" flavored. Some of the fish not mentioned here can be very pungent.

Do not be too worried about Japanese dining etiquette. Have your date guide you thru one or two essentials. The Japanese are actually much more forgiving about such things, as opposed to say the French.

Consider having Plum Wine with your dinner, however, it's a sweet wine and not to everybody's liking.

mattbuddy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow! Thank you so much guys. I didn't think I would get any replies on this. I think I will try some salmon sushi and maybe that spicy roll someone said. I don't think i will try the eel or ungai roll. Something about eating eel just makes my stomach turn. haha. I will also listen to what my date has to say too about it since shes really smart about sushi.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NUP' .. not filling enuf
NICE varying tastes tho .. especially if yo can dictate what goes in them.ha
GOOD lite food to eat and i suspect get pissed with Alcohol ,... mmmmm
as fr EEL (Pref smoked-1/2 raw)
WOW' yummy.>
(we Maoris ate that well before we started eating the Whiteman--ooops whitebait')

enz

megatron

1st Like
Media
When the eel is done well, it is by far one of the most amazing bits you can get. Definitely don't write off the eel.

If you like caviar, then I'd suggest trying either the salmon roe (ikura) or flying fish roe (tobiko). White tuna is something that not every place has but it's probably one of the best pieces to get. IMHO far superior than other types of tuna, even fatty tuna, but just an opinion.

In the US, sushi-grade fish is first frozen to a very low temperature to kill off anything that can make you sick (but I vaguely remember tuna being an exception to that but I can't recall why), just like applying heat to items kills off germs and the such. If you eat at a respectable joint, the likelihood of you getting sick is basically the same as it would be at a restaurant that cooks its food. Getting sick in those cases would be more about the staff cleanliness than the actual food itself.

Most people are turned off by the consistency of sushi. Most stuff has the consistency of something like smoked salmon, so if you can handle that, you're fine. If you eat raw oysters or clams, then there would be a real sense of irony if you didn't like sushi because of its consistency.

Like what most people are saying, if you want to be safe, start with the rolls. They're a good starting point. If you want to be a little adventurous and show off a bit to this girl, then I would say try salmon, tuna, eel and yellowtail sushi or sashimi (eel is usually not served as sashimi). If you want to completely throw yourself into it: mackerel, red snapper, sea urchin and sweet shrimp and some of the other primarily white fishes. I stay away from two items usually, octopus (it's bland and tough to chew) and sweet shrimp (I don't find the taste to be pleasant).

For a drink, you can try sake but I'd recommend a Japanese beer.

Definitely go with the eel. Just repeat to yourself that eel is a fish. It's just a fish like any other. It just looks nasty.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Love Sashimi. I will be visiting my fave Japanese restaurant at the weekend. They slice/fillet live fish in the front and serve it straight to you. It is a bit gruesome, but boy oh boy, there's nothing like it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Eeeewwwww!

I always said I'd never have sashimi again!
Overdosed it on one overseas trip to the extent it makes me gag a little!
Sushi is OK. Not a huge fan but enjoyed a pleasant evening out with friends at a sushi restaurant recently and survived! :biggrin1:

I'd reconsider the sashimi thing if DF was on the other end of the chopsticks!
:eek: :redface:

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love sushi. I don't have a personal favorite, I like them all.
But I do know that I love drinking warm sake while eating it.:biggrin1:

D_Selmus_Swallow

Account Disabled
Media
Yeah.

I suppose when the Chinese place I go to starts making specialty plates of the good stuff when I walk through the door, because over the course of going there for over a year fairly regularly I used to load an entire plate up full of sushi and nothing else...yeah, I guess you can say I like it.

mattbuddy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I ended up going on Thursday and my date and I got a variety of things. We started with Spicy Tuna Rolls which were really good! Then we got our udon soup. Wow, I looked like a fuckin retard eating at that soup with chopsticks because they didnt give us a spoon or anything with it. So I tried my best. It was good though. Then we got spider rolls. Those were my favorite. That crab tasted so good fried! Then my date ordered 6 catepillar rolls. I was so grossed out with it at first , then I had it and it wasnt that bad, but I only had two of those. I liked the spider rolls better.

Overall, sushi was really good and I really see myself going again.

That's fantastic! You really dove in head-first. I'm so glad you liked it. It just gets better from here on out. Except for the cravings. When you crave sushi nothing else will do.

edeneyes

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread, but sushi is sooooo awesome! I've had pretty much all types, in many places, although my two favorite cities for it were Tokyo (obviously) and San Francisco. Since moving to Austin TX, it's really hard to find good fish. Being landlocked does suck in that regard, plenty of fantastic beef out here, but not so much on the fish... so does anyone else like uni besides me? That's about as extreme as it gets as far as tastes, although I've never had fugu.

dimelayer00

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
aw that sucks i got here to late but i cant believe noboby said that since she wants sushi you gotta eat the sushi before you can eat the tuna and then who knows maybe she will try your egg roll

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I ended up going on Thursday and my date and I got a variety of things. We started with Spicy Tuna Rolls which were really good! Then we got our udon soup. Wow, I looked like a fuckin retard eating at that soup with chopsticks because they didnt give us a spoon or anything with it. So I tried my best. It was good though. Then we got spider rolls. Those were my favorite. That crab tasted so good fried! Then my date ordered 6 catepillar rolls. I was so grossed out with it at first , then I had it and it wasnt that bad, but I only had two of those. I liked the spider rolls better.

Overall, sushi was really good and I really see myself going again.

Good for you trying new things! :smile: Personally I'm not big on cooked fish, so uncooked fish is pretty much out of the question. :redface: The only thing I recall liking when I tried sushi eons ago was the pickled ginger. I do like shellfish however, I try not to eat anything with fins.