Who loves *Father Ted*?

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my very humble opinion, the All-Priests Over-75 Indoor Five-a-Side League episode is the greatest half-an-hour of comedy there has ever been. Well, I can't really begin to be able to quantify that properly, but I've never laughed as much as I have done at that episode. Close seconds are the caravan holiday and the Richard Wilson episodes.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my very humble opinion, the All-Priests Over-75 Indoor Five-a-Side League episode is the greatest half-an-hour of comedy there has ever been. Well, I can't really begin to be able to quantify that properly, but I've never laughed as much as I have done at that episode. Close seconds are the caravan holiday and the Richard Wilson episodes.
It's odd how sensibilities differ. The football match with the old priests never seemed very funny to me at all. But I do like the other two episodes that you mention. My favorite overall I think is the one with the three bishops who visit Craggy Island to upgrade the Holy Stone of Clonrichert -- mainly because of the great scene of Father Jack being trained to say something besides "drink," "feck," "arse," and "girls."

Last edited:

blondetwink11

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I LOVE Father Ted!!!

My favorite scene is in Series 3 where they go to the mainland and Mrs. Doyle and Mrs. Denean get tea. When it comes time to pay there is a verbal argument, which later on in the episode has spiraled into Mrs. Doyle on the floor hold ing down her friend, and yelling at the waiter "TAKE THE MONEY! TAKE THE MONEY" and "I'M WRITING A CHEQUE!"

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I LOVE Father Ted!!!

My favorite scene is in Series 3 where they go to the mainland and Mrs. Doyle and Mrs. Denean get tea. When it comes time to pay there is a verbal argument, which later on in the episode has spiraled into Mrs. Doyle on the floor hold ing down her friend, and yelling at the waiter "TAKE THE MONEY! TAKE THE MONEY" and "I'M WRITING A CHEQUE!"
That's a fine episode. It's also the one in which Father Jack follows a sign that has the word "DRINK" on it and ends up in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

HorsemanUK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes I like Father Ted, shame he died, I think there could of been a few more great series left in it. Anyone who enjoys Father Ted might want to look into watching some Big Train, twas a sketch show wrote by the same writers.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I went to the Father Ted House in the Burren, County Clare last weekend, it was bizarre, the people who own the house (delightfully eccentric) will host you for tea and homemade cake if you ring ahead and make a booking. There were chickens in the garden and a lovely spaniel puppy. But sitting in someone's dining room having tea was a little incongruous frankly, even if the coffee cake was delicious.

The setting is spectacular.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I absolutely love "Father Ted"! Impossible to pick one episode above all others. I know that sounds wanky but it's true - each episode has moments of pure comic genius that I simply cannot choose.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I absolutely love "Father Ted"! Impossible to pick one episode above all others. I know that sounds wanky but it's true - each episode has moments of pure comic genius that I simply cannot choose.
Well, here's a favorite bit of dialogue for me (from "Going to America"):

Parishioner: Father, that sermon today-- (Ted looks complacent, waiting for the compliment) frankly, it bored the arse off me!

Ted: Well, Eugene, I'm not here to entertain you. If you want that type of thing, go see Jan-Michel Jarre or something.

Parishioner: But what the hell was it about, anyway?

Ted: Well, it was -- (pauses to think)

Parishioner: (immediately losing interest) Ah, Jesus! (walks away)

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just read that a book store is going to host a talk by author Robert Kanigel about his recently published book On an Irish Island:

On an Irish Island is a love letter to a vanished way of life, in which Robert Kanigel, the highly praised author of The Man Who Knew Infinity and The One Best Way, tells the story of the Great Blasket, a wildly beautiful island off the west coast of Ireland. . . .
I am considering showing up just to yell, "DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND!"

Last edited:

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just read that a book store is going to host a talk by author Robert Kanigel about his recently published book On an Irish Island:

I am considering showing up just to yell, "DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND!"

Put it on YouTube, please!

redz_rule

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I adore this show!

I think my absolute fave moments have already been mentioned - the whistle ep, the caravan ep (small/far away), kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse, 'spiderbaby', 'I hear you're a racist now father' and the scene that had me in actual physical pain from laughing so hard - 'just play the f*****g note!!!'

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
College of Cardinals Announces New Pope

VATICAN CITY, 12 March 2013. The College of Cardinals has chosen Father Jack Hackett, a hitherto little known Irish priest, to be the new Vicar of Rome. He has taken the name Incontinent I.

Asked for comment, the new Pope replied "Drink!" When asked for an explanation, he replied "Feck!"; and then, after a pause, "Arse!"; and after that, "Girls!" He then proceeded to shout the same four words in other combinations before being hustled away by his handlers.

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
'Father Ted's Father Dougal responds to Pope campaign

The Father Ted character has emerged from hiding on Craggy Island after 15 years to back the Facebook campaign calling for his appointment to lead the Roman Catholic Church.

"This is great! Obviously very excited. Had no idea I was in the running, to be honest," said Dougal.

"If I am made Pope the first thing I will do is make Sunday a recognised day of worship. Hurray!"

The Facebook fan page has amassed over 16,000 likes since its creation last month.
'Father Ted's Father Dougal responds to Pope campaign - TV News - Digital Spy

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
D

deleted848353

i absolutely loved Father Ted and i have to say my favourite episode is the Christmas special.