Who owns there own business on here?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Doewell Dadong, Jan 8, 2009.

1. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

Looking at starting up my own business. I'd like to open a scooter shop. Its the right climate for one. But as usual money is the problem for start up costs. Who on lpsg owns there own businesses, i'm going to have to build from scratch. When i say scratch i mean literally nothing. Any ideas or inspiration for a business idea i can run with would be great.

2. dong20

Gold Member

Well, with the UK in recession, if not skirting the edges of a depression and business lending/confidence at a very low ebb - I'm not sure I'd agree that the climate is entirely right.

I think it's right in the sense of congestion and 'green' considerations though although it occurs to me that [an icy] winter may not be the best time to start a business that sells items that require a degree of ... exposure to the elements.

That said, as a business owner myself, one has to start sometime and everything that helps stimulate the domestic economy is probably a good thing, so good luck!

3. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
  4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Wheir?

:tongue:

5. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

you must come up with a business plan which covers the many considerations to be made before setting up a business. it will help you to decide whether to do it.

there are software based business plans or you can find books on the subject.

it will take lots more money than you ever expected.

6. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

Bike and scooter sales have steadily increased over the previous two years. Sales are up 20% over that period. Mainly due to the cost of fuel and tax. With the interest rates being lower and most people with a car licence can get on a 125cc its affordable. But i can't afford the stock or premises.

7. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

You're going to need a partner, my friend...a partner with some loot. Established companies can't get financing right now, start-ups don't have a chance in hell.

If you create a legitimate business plan..start networking..you might connect with somebody that shares your vision of that idea...someone with lots of capital, and not as much time.

Galuck!

8. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    If I were you, I'd locate the nearest couple of scooter shops. Then I'd track down the owners and talk to them.

You also might want to think of "stepping stones" -- getting to your goal step by step. For example, first selling accessories for scooters. Or maybe a vanity web site for scooter owners. Or both.

BTW, I know you can't fix it now, but in the future --

"there" means location: Park your scooter over there.

"their" means belonging to them. That is their scooter.

"they're" is short for they are. They're my customers.

These words sound the same, but they are spelled differently.

9. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    You could also start with a used scooter store.

10. Smartalk

Gold Member

First thin you need to do when setting up a business is to work out what it is going to cost to set up, How much is it going to cost to run your business ie Overheads these being premisis, heat, light, telephone, Insurance etc This is all done with the help of a business plan, which Speedomike said. HSBC Bank Ltd provide excellent simple to use Business Plan software free to down load Here is the link Quick Start Business Plan.

I used it when I started my own business made a huge difference when I met with the bank manager He was able to see for himself that it wasn't a whim of an idea, but a genuine project proven by all the reaseach that goes into completing your business plan. You can also seek out companies like InBiz who may be able to help you find a finacila backer. JobCentre Plus use to provide business start-up grants around £700 to help get you underway. I would be happy to advise further if needed.

Good Luck Don't rush, build good sound foundations from day one. Without that your business is set to fail before you start.

11. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    The best thing for you to do is to get a job in a scooter shop. Learn everything you can about the business from the inside. Most people do not realize how challenging owning a business truly is. You will be working much harder, longer hours than you ever have and you will worry constantly whether the next day's business will keep you afloat. That being said, there is nothing more satisfying than making a success of something you have created...to say nothing of the control you will finally have over your own life.

Good luck.

12. MickeyLee

Gold Member

not really sure if could call them business, more hobbies i make money with. one small homemade vegan soap company. deal mostly with co-ops, small salon/spas and intorwbz sales. not much overhead was needed to start up. just specializing a product and getting the name out there. etsy.com owns for home produced goods.

the other is a tiny comic pressing house. mostly my own doodles and oddness. sold to local shops. some shipped further away. i rely on the cult following to keep it rolling. i don't really get paid with the comics, most income is generated with merch sales and advertising space sold on the website.

i really have no clue what i'm doing. so lack of know how limits the size of the companies and keeps it manageable for lil old me. back to the start. i had or could cheaply get all the materials i need. both are niche markets catering to a specific market. cheap distractions and self pampering are always going to sell. my biggest issue is not getting bored and finding enough time.

ML

Draft saved Draft deleted