Who Sleeps Around? Scientists Know

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
By MELINDA WENNER

A new study reveals a correlation between personality type and promiscuity.
http://reference.aol.com/article/_a/who-sleeps-around-scientists-know/20070530152409990002

(May 29) -- People who are socially dominant and either very friendly or very antagonistic tend to be more sexually promiscuous, according to a new study.

Friendly, warm people may enjoy sharing their warmth with others by sleeping with them, whereas antagonistic people may sleep around to avoid having a monogamous relationship. And having a dominant personality makes it easier to approach potential partners.

Past studies have suggested that people who are dominant tend to have more sexual partners than people who are submissive, but there has been little research into whether a person’s level of interpersonal warmth -- the way in which they interact with others -- affects their sexual actions.

So Patrick Markey, a psychologist at Villanova University, and his wife Charlotte Markey, a psychologist at Rutgers University, asked 210 adults to take a test to measure their interpersonal characteristics. They also asked the subjects to indicate with how many people they had engaged in certain sexual activities.

When they compared the subjects' responses, they were able to confirm that dominance is a key trait of people who have a lot of sexual partners. They also found that people who are either extremely warm or extremely cold toward others tend to be promiscuous -- and that people who are just moderately warm have the fewest sexual partners.

Antagonistic people might prefer to have multiple sex partners in order to avoid being in a monogamous relationship, out of fear of being poorly treated or being later rejected by a committed partner, the authors noted in their study, which is to be published in the Journal of Research in Personality.

Patrick Markey says it’s particularly interesting that warm people tend to be promiscuous, because in some ways, it conflicts with the moral thinking that promiscuity is bad. While sleeping with multiple partners certainly carries with it certain health risks, "it could be that someone’s not doing it to achieve the most pleasure. Someone actually might be doing it as an expression of their warmth to other people," he told LiveScience. "A warm person might hug lots of people; a warm person might kiss lots of people. Well, maybe a warm person might sleep with lots of people."

LouisVauban

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My tombstone shall read: "Too Many Men; Not Enough Time!"

I believe in being naughty as often as physically possible.

I am known to have a warm, gregarious personality.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, this may explain my lack of it...unfortunately... I'm socially very shy.

I need to work on being more "warm and friendly" :tongue: Most people do think I'm friendly once they get to know me. I'm just hard to get to know.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
By MELINDA WENNER

A new study reveals a correlation between personality type and promiscuity.
http://reference.aol.com/article/_a/who-sleeps-around-scientists-know/20070530152409990002

So little girl where does this put you in the grand scheme of things?:wink:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey Patsy you sexy beautfull smart and informative woman. The scientist need to get a life. Im sick to death of someone telling me how i should be and who i am. Im a loving person and except for a short period after my divorce in which i slept with every woman i could get my hands on and dick into. I have allways been loving and remained faithfull. Eveyone has be labled in our society. Im reminded of the old Bob Seger song i feel like a number. So i take this stuff with a grain of salt:smile: :cool:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey Patsy you sexy beautfull smart and informative woman. The scientist need to get a life. Im sick to death of someone telling me how i should be and who i am. Im a loving person and except for a short period after my divorce in which i slept with every woman i could get my hands on and dick into. I have allways been loving and remained faithfull. Eveyone has be labled in our society. Im reminded of the old Bob Seger song i feel like a number. So i take this stuff with a grain of salt:smile: :cool:

I still think that is loving. :wink:

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Okay, I can see were they are coming from when they say that people with dominant personalities have more sex, but I'm confused about the rest. I'm not quite able to draw the connection between interpersonal warmth and getting sex. Why do they claim both ends of the spectrum (nice and irritable) attract more partners? How do they differ from people who are kinda nice, but kinda cold?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay, I can see were they are coming from when they say that people with dominant personalities have more sex, but I'm confused about the rest. I'm not quite able to draw the connection between interpersonal warmth and getting sex. Why do they claim both ends of the spectrum (nice and irritable) attract more partners? How do they differ from people who are kinda nice, but kinda cold?

I may be wrong but this is my take. Very warm people tend to be affectionate and express their affection more physically. This is the loving side of the spectrum. Those who are angry and aggressive or antagonistic are using sex in a purely aggressive way for physical release or to dominate the other person. I think the expression "Fucking someone over" is appropos here.They hit it and run. There is no intention of making a love connection.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wait, people who are open and easy going are more likely to get laid?

NEWSFLASH: If you close your eyes, you can't drive safely.

:biggrin1: ROTFLMAO :biggrin1:
I have to admit when I first saw this article I thought the same thing. I thought it was yet another incidence of wasted research money.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Its one thing to have a huge hard on. Its another thing to take it out and stick it every hole you can. So it is our actions. We can be fun loving and friendly and not be like a horny dog humping a neighbors leg. It was the 80's hanging with a couple of big bonned light skin girls from the Bronx. Easy pickin's. Well shame on me if i didnt do all three of them. At the same time:wink: Hush my mouth. I would call em' up and say hey girl i got Entenmman's. I got cheesecake. The would have a pity party every Friday. So when i would call i would sound so sad and say please come over. I dont want to be alone. Not tonight. When the doorbell would ring i would quickly take the Visine out of my pocket and water my eyelids so they would think i was crying.I would answer the door clutching a Kleenex . In a Mickey mouse tone i would say Who is it? Yes! I wouldnt open the door for a couple of minutes. Are you ok? Let us in! We got Snapple and Abba Zabba's. I would sit with red eyes from the Visine and a kleenex in one hand and a cigarette in the other doing my best Betty Davis. Then i would get a bottle of Whiskey out. They said they wanted some. I would tell them i didnt think it was proper for them to drink. This went on for an hour before i gave in. What they thought was Whiskey was really corn liquor 210 proof. Well we had fun and several others times after that. The three of them would fight over which one turned me around. They said it was amazing. My voice even got deeper. I didnt wear pink anymore either and cry so much. I met them in a Bakery in Jersey city. I helped them to the car with all their donuts. They were some great ladies. We had some great times together. I ran into one of them a few years ago and she is as beautifull as ever. Married with 3 kids. The two others are doing good too.:smile: What big beautifull women they were.:cool: