Who was that someone you met that changed your life?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Aug 8, 2008.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

It's amazing how we touch each other's lives yet don't know how profoundly sometimes.

I'm interested in hearing who changed your life and how it all came about. Could be a good or bad but a person who influenced who you have become.

I'm looking for something beyond the obvious spouse, lover, or parents here. But all are welcome to share.

2. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry, hasn't happened yet.:rolleyes:

3. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

ex gf definitely, i learned not to put myself out there so fast and so easily, i always see on those reality shows on tv people saying "you have your wall up" shit like that, i never got it, now i do... i guess u could say i too now have a "wall"

4. Supersized

Supersized New Member

No one tried to teach me anything positive. I received plenty of negative lessons that I had to unlearn.

5. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^^^ Pretty much the same here.

Except my 9th grade English and 10th grade Marketing teachers. They taught me to live above my incredibly shitty surroundings.

Especially my 9th grade English teacher. She took the time (and her own money) to get me a copy of Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance. That book had a huge impact on me. I was going through some tough shit at the time that was pretty much deconstructing my belief system.

So, Mrs. Harbaugh and Mrs. Schlenker, if you're reading this (yeah right!).....thanks a million.

- Wes

6. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Mine have come from countless people. I could retrace the last 3 years alone and probably name a dozen people that have influenced the person I am (but am no longer in touch with) today, whether it's from giving me a new perspective or forcing me in a different direction.

The biggest influences in your life aren't going to come from someone intentionally trying to teach you something. Real people don't take you under wing and show you what their father, mentor, preacher or what-have-you never did. Welcome to reality, just south of Hollywood.

7. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    my current girlfriend took the piss out of me.
    NOONE was able to do that...not even my cocky militant father.

after being dissed in front of all of my friends about my cock
    and how she wanted a big black guy.
    how her family treated me like a mutant,and she just stood there.
    how her girlfriends would press on me and she didn't care
    (because in her eyes i was nothing special)

i used to love my cock,my overall intelligence level,emotionally and intellectually.

she just was blind to it...i have never "TRIED" so hard in my life for a girl.
    i guess in the end i pushed myself to become something that is
    "the whole package" just so i never have to feel this again.
    i had to do it alone and made an ass of myself in the process.
    i think i am finally getting there because the acidic feeling is dying off
    but her disposition is the same.

so i guess i would say she changed my life and outlook.

8. Captain Elephant

Captain Elephant Active Member

Albums:
    I met a girl during orientation a week before college began. Her name was Cindy, and actually, she was the first new girl I met since I entered high school. I know it was Cindy who convinced me that I was as normal as anyone else. I guess I kind of became her project because I blossomed during that time. Yeah, strange thing for a guy to say, but she really did break me out of my shell. We got very close, but not like a couple thing. It was really like mentor-student.

Since we really weren't a couple we kind of drifted off as I got more popular and on my own. But she was definitely the launch pad.

I haven't thought about her in a long time, but she stays in the back of my mind as one of those milestones, you know. I'm always reminded of her when I hear that Moody Blues song "In Your Wildest Dreams."

9. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

I was influenced by so many.
    I have been blessed with many mentors in my life... but, as I aged and became a mentor to others I realized that the gift is not the mentors... it the mindset to recognize and value mentors when you meet them.

I have had my entire perspective on the world shift on the meaning of a single sentence...uttered in the right context... and in the right manner...

I have had my entire character transformed by a single glance of disappointment from a man whose regard I valued.

From my father , to bosses, to co-workers...
    From the young to the long dead mentors I have found in literature...

I have been molded by the example and estimation of those persons I have admired.

10. Northland

Gold Member

From the living to the dead there have been many and many more there very well may be.

1)There was my grandfather-from the start and even now, though he is gone a number of years, his influences still resonate in my daily life.
    2)Then of course there was Lou Miucci who touched upon my life at a particularly important time.
    3)Thomas Radolinski-he was a gym teacher-mainly for swimming, I just wanted to mention him-we shared a towel once (it's a long story).
    4)That preacher who gave a sermon on St.Francis of Assisi-that created a turn in my life. Toyed briefly with going into the ministry.
    5)George Schwab-After I had done the college thing, I geared up for a few extra history classes and went up to City College. Schwab pushed my interest into ancient history a little deeper. More on George- schwab
    6)No list would be complete without Ernest Hemingway-I fell fully in love with writing thanks to him (although my style is different).
    7)Speaking of writers, there was this man who used t write for Variety-a weekly trade for the entertainment industry-by the name of Wolfe Kaufman. I was for some reason reading his pieces on entertainment over in Europe back in the late 1960s to around 1970 when he died. Kaufman was born in Europe, came to the States and then while maintaining U.S. citizenship returned to work in Europe (Paris to be exact). His attachment to living life to the fullest let me know that there was always opportunity.
    8)People in my day to day life-Just about everyone touchs me and molds my thinking, even if only for a fraction of a second, each and every day.
    9)Nicholas Zeleznak (spelling-?)On a few of my trips back and forth to college in Wisconsin, I would take a stretch of ride on a Greyhound bus. Zeleznak was a driver from Pittsburgh, PA to some point either west or east. Anyway, I fell in love with Greyhound (the bus company) at that point and became determined to get a job with them-which I did, selling tickets and disbursing directional information-which kept food on my table and a roof over my head for several years before I ventured into accounting.
    10)Several others who I have not listed here; however, I have mentioned them at various times both here on this (LPSG) board and others.

11. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I'm still learning ...

12. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    What an interesting topic!
    There have been many influential people. My parents who, by example, taught me the value of understanding compasion, and kindness. The biology teacher who was such a prick he turned me away from the sciences, thh boss who helped me get a doctorate and told me if I didn't do it she would fire me, my dissertaion advisor who taught me that research is interesting, another professor who thought he saw something special in me and nurtured it, and many more.
    But the person who has changed my life the most is my current partner. His unconditional love brought a peace and calm that I had never experienced andchallenged me to become less celf-centered and LONG to become a good partner to him.
    Dave

13. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most people don't really realize what kind of impact one person has on another. I think that each person that comes into your life has an impact that, no-matter how big or small the relationship, changes at least one thing about you. Be it a thought, or the way you feel about a certain topic, everyone has an influence on everyone. The most influential person that I've ever met, proved to be one of the best friends I've ever had. I met her in college. I'm not going to mention a name, but it's also Disney's most famous character. She changed the way I thought about soo many things. She opened me up to some great music and art (she was an art/photography major). She even changed the way I thought of myself. There were so many things that I could list here but the servers at LPSG would have memory allocation problems.

14. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

There have been way too many to list. My dysfunctional family sought to destroy me, and there were a few who believed in me, and helped me to find myself.

After I suffered chemical poisoning and had to give up my career, I lost a lot of myself, and my self-esteem disappeared. A dear lady who was already 70, unknowingly helped me find part of myself again. She didn't know what had happened to me. She just loved me, and chose to have me as one of her closet friends. She was the queen of society, and always invited me to the party of the year. Then days later, they'd discuss how I was the most handsome man there, and my poise, and charm. She helped me find part of me that was still there, it was just buried deep within. BTW it was the maid who told me about the after party conversations. :smile:

15. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

My best friend taught me what unconditional love is.

16. nice_guy_here

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well there are 2 people that spring to mind. The first is my best friend who I met nearly 10 years ago, and while universities and geography may have split us up we're still tight. He taught me that there were people that shared my weird sense of humour, how to trust someone with your life and about loyalty. No "ho" ever came between us "bros" which has always amazed me.

The second was my ex. I met her in the first week that I started at university and instantly fell in lust with her, but we ended up being really good friends throughout the year. In our 2nd year, she finally fell for me and I had what I would call my first "adult" relationship, and we dated for nearly 9 months. She taught me a lot about myself, not a lot of it was positive though, and about women. Still she has probably influenced the person that I am more than anyone (not sure if that's a sad fact or not looking back)

17. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I guess besides e'x my biggest influence would be a old high school friend. She was one of them really strong people who you just know is going to succeed in life. She is the one who can take the most credit for dragging me out of my shy little mouse hole of an exsistance. Unfortantly as men became part of our lives we grew further and further apart and i havent heard spoken to her for many years now.

18. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

probably one of my prep school mates, a an Englishman, a political science prof and a philosophy prof, and a religions prof

had declared a bio-physics major, with the intention of going into medical research (at the time, was imbued by all the standard, unthinking humanist ideals you hear espoused everyday)

these three fellows synergized (actual word?) my thinking into an introspective, fundamental, deeply historical and philosophical direction, that altered my entire approach to life, from the most fundamental and basic actions (e.g., what I choose to eat, and the consequences thereof) to the most abstract

my prep school mate introduced me to Zen, which of course led me to study the fundamental aspects of Buddhism

taking the political science course at the same time I studied Old Testament prophets, and existentialism, brought new insights that set me off in the direction I am now -- guided by values vastly different from the values I had for the life I had scripted

19. bigdog83

bigdog83 Member

i would have to say recently this girl at my work.....she WAS a nice laid back girl, hot as shit. she showed interest in me and it really boosted my confindence having a girl like this want me...then i also learned from her never fall or someone no matter how "safe" you think that person is.....because she fucked with my head so much i lost sleep over her. never again.....i had a little "wall" up for her, i wouldnt tell her deep stuff.....but i fell for her.........so i need to never get attached to a girl cuz when i do i get hurt. so i learned 2 things from her....

but also i learned so much shit about life from my teachers.......they made me who i am today. i thank them so much and i still have some of their numbers and i can call them anytime i want. it makes me feel good that their are still some nice people left.

20. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I told myself I wasn't going to post in this thread and I mentioned it to the person whom changed my life. I was high on ecstasy with him, I know that's not the greatest way to spend time with him, but it's the way I got to know him the most.

It is quite the interesting story about how we met, one day my classmate and I were going through some face book pictures; I'd seen pictures of them together. I thought he was beautiful... I don't always think that about every gay man I meet but he was something else. He is 6 foot six, has red hair and the cutest face I've ever seen.

My classmate introduced us a few months later, over messenger. It was an instant attraction, but it didn't work out the way I thought it would. The sexual attraction just didn't stay, there was something more about him.

I got to meet him face to face a few weeks later, when he was out with a mutual friend. I was so excited to meet him. He was everything I hoped for and more. He looks better in person I might add too, I always end up with good looking friends, I don't know how I do it.

There was something about him that intimidated the fuck out of me though, I'm not sure what. I had to get drunk and ask to be his friend because I got this vibe that he didn't like me and I was really sad about it. But it turns out it was just me being over analytical and we became friends.

I was so caught up in his personality, I've never been so entangled in a person before, I had never wanted to know someone as much as I wanted to know him. Anyways he is so important and made such an impact on my life because he restored my ability to:
    love and not be in love,
    be attracted to and not in lust with
    and be friends and not fuck buddies with a gay male.

This is so important to me because I see myself as a gay male and I'm attracted to most of my friends. He is something special and different. I am in every way attracted to him and his personality except I lack the sexual attraction that comes with being friends with beautiful gay men. And it's not for anything he is lacking, it is just what I think is a true friendship on my part.

He has been a big step for me. A very important person and I could never wish him to be straight or my friend would never had introduced us. She did so because she knew I loved gay men and she thought we would get along well. She couldn't have guessed the half of it.

Thanks for bringing him into my life Laura. <3

Draft saved Draft deleted