Who was the first REAL Heavy Metal Band?

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't think helgaleena's wide of the point when she suggests Jethro Tull. They were one of the first Prog Rock bands, but don't let their English Folk rooted sounds put you off. They were bringing very dark ideas into loud rock music.
And let's not forget Tony Iommi was in the band before Martin Barre.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And let's not forget Tony Iommi was in the band before Martin Barre.

Except he never actually played anything in Jethro Tull. He was just there for The Rolling Stones' Rock n Roll Circus, and Tull's performance during that was mimed. All the instruments were from the studio version of the song, with only Ian Anderson's vocals being live. Tull didn't really even start getting particularly heavy with any degree of consistency until 1971's Aqualung, after Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Sir Lord Baltimore, and many others had already begun with their heaviness.

AllDixNeedLuv69

Superior Member
Media
Huntington (West Virginia, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The question always cums up but nobody can agree. Who would you vote for?

BLUE CHEER
(60's San Fran band often overlooked but put on there cover of "summer time blues" and it sounds very heavy for its time, if not the first they are a big influence)

LED ZEPPELIN
(I think most people will call this very hard rock but Robert Plants vocal style influenced literally thousands of rock vocalist after him. The exploitation of groupies, trashing hotels, the strong arm manager, the satanic overtones its all there you've seen repeated over and over)

BLACK SABBATH
(Original lead singer Ozzy is the most famous and an icon, The metal riff as we know evented by Lead Guitast Tommy Iommi adapting to a tuned down sound using prosthetic after chopping parts of his fingers by accident. They also incorporated the feel of horror movies into there music)

DEEP PURPLE
(Sounds more of a Blues band playing really really loud, but a major influence on everyone after thim)

JUDAS PRIEST
Rob Halford states Zeppelin and Deep Purple was his early influences. They may be the biggest influence on Metal in its look with the spikes and "Hell Bent For Leather"

what do you think?
all these bands are out there---judas priest was around after metal was created--studies show that black sabbath was the most influential heavy metal band ,,, blue cheer had a couple hits but the music between them and black sabbath are totally different

dreambridger

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
as far as the groove metal sound, Blue Cheer was definitely the first, while Black Sabbath went on to become more influential, especially to the aesthetic.

As far as thrash metal and progressive metal.....they wouldn't have existed without King Crimson.

Punk on the other hand (and punk would play into metal later on, as the genres influenced each other), well my friend and I have an ongoing debate whether its Velvet Underground or The Stooges. I'm in the Stooges camp myself though Velvet Underground pre-dates them, I just find the Velvet Underground incredibly boring and The Stooges f'in rock.

AllDixNeedLuv69

Superior Member
Media
Huntington (West Virginia, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
well when i was young--in my lower teens--black sabbath--kiss--was considered heavy metal--then i heard metallica master of puppets and was hooked on them--nirvana was the first cd i bought-----

real heavy would have to be obituary--chopped in half was awesome---