WHOA @ the percentage of STD infections

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Mr 604753, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Mr 604753

Mr 604753 New Member

I was bored and decided to do some reading about STD's.
    I guess pretty much every site out there agrees that 20 percent of men, 25 percent of women, have genital herpes and 50-80* of americans have oral herpes.
    it said that oral herpes is passed usually when you are a kid. can even just a regular kiss give you it or does there need to be a sore present?

Is this stuff an epidemic or just a common human disease? Its hard to beleive if its an epidemic how many people it affects.

I thought the percentages would have been like 3 or 5 percent of Americans.

This is crazy though, one site says :

<i>Ninety percent of all people will have at least one herpes outbreak in their lives. Some children who are affected with cold sores may become seriously ill. However, after the first infection, many people develop antibodies and never have another oral herpes outbreak. About 40% of American adults, however, have repeated oral herpes outbreaks.</i>

Also sharing towels can spread it? WTF?!! Thats what the site said

here is the source cited:
    Oral herpes - Forces of Nature

Im in my early 20's but jeez, they never told us this stuff in school at all.

Is this info accurate? Many sites agree on percentages and data, but i personally find it hard to believe.

2. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Believe it. No sores need be present to spread either type of herpes. The infected just needs to be in a stage of the infection where the body is shedding the virus to transmit it to another. Oh. And did you ever have chicken pox? That's a type of herpes derivitive too. You know what I personally find disturbing? Go to your next scheduled physical. Ask them to test you for herpes. Tell them you're willing to pay cash if it isn't covered by your insurance. Tell them you've never had an outbreak. In my experience, they will balk at the suggestion, and even outright refuse. Now THAT's disturbing.

3. naughty

Gold Member

Another disturbing thing is that If you thought the Chicken pox virus was gone once you had it, WRONG! It can resurface at times of stress or weakened immune system as SHINGLES. I know I got it on the bottom of my foot after falling down the basement stairs and getting some nerve damage from bruising my coccyx. They say that SHingles follows the path of damaged nerves so often you see stroke victims break out with it. But they all are treated with VAltrex. YOu can imagine my having to explain Valtrex to someone. Of course everyone thinks you have Genital herpes if you are prescribed Valtrex but it is given for the entire Herpes family of disorders... from fever blisters to shingles....

4. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

It really is best to be informed; not be paranoid about the shit that happens in life; and realize that most STD's aren't the end of the world.

Also, just realize that catching an STD is a game of chance. Play the game but be smart enough to reduce the chances of getting burned. If you catch something get it dealt with. If it can't be cured make sure that when you are ill don't expose yourself to catching something else/more because it becomes likelier you will catch something. Compounded problems are more dangerous than just dealing with one fucked up thing. (Serial) Monogamy is your best bet.

Keep yourself in good health (even if you don't have an STD it is preventative to be healthy). Don't be a drunk, but drink moderately if so inclined. Don't smoke. Reduce your stress level.

5. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My grandma got shingles, just from being old. If you've never had chicken pox, you can catch it from someone with shingles. You know, they didn't give my grandmother valtrex. I wonder if that would have helped. They gave her some vicodin, but she got tired of missing her soaps. LOL

6. mindseye

Gold Member

Fact-check!

The link in Mr 604753's post is to a commercial site that has an obvious conflict of interest, since they want you to buy their products.

However, herpes zoster is not an STD, despite being in the same family of viruses as herpes simplex.

7. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's pretty clear that Naughty and I were not even implying that chicken pox and shingles were STDs. Or was that not clear? Obviously I can't see from your seat.

8. phantom73

phantom73 New Member

Albums:
    Most don't know that oral Herpes (HSV1) can be transmited to the genitals as well. When this happens, the infected individual has less outbreaks and develops more resistance to aquiring genital Herpes (HSV2). Just an interesting tidbit of info.

Draft saved Draft deleted