whoops, Someone accidently cured A.I.D.S Maybe

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
a cure for aids would be great. but i see two bad consequences:

1) it's gonna be expensive as all hell, which means only the richer peoples with the infection will get treated. which means middle class peoples in america and everyone in africa infected with aids prolly won't be cured

2) it'll give gay people the excuse to go back to their pre-AIDS way of life. it'll be a lot of random, unprotected sex with no fear of consequences.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hope they put support and funding behind this but I'm skeptical, the pharmaceutical industry makes a killing of "get by" meds so I don't know how excited they'd be about a cure.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
2) it'll give gay people the excuse to go back to their pre-AIDS way of life. it'll be a lot of random, unprotected sex with no fear of consequences.

Amen, I see this as meaning LOTS of unplanned pregnancies, and LOTS of STDs spreading in the gay community. Some gay men think HIV is the only one they can catch.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you for the article!
There was a similar one last year and I think Bbucko offered some great insight into the history of HIV treatments and potential cures(it may have also been his blog), anyway, I wish he were here to chime in.

a cure for aids would be great. but i see two bad consequences:

1) it's gonna be expensive as all hell, which means only the richer peoples with the infection will get treated. which means middle class peoples in america and everyone in africa infected with aids prolly won't be cured
This is a legitimate concern.

This isn't. :rolleyes:
HIV/AIDS does not exist as a behavior modification tool, it is an indiscriminate killer. If, and when, it can be eradicated, it should, without hesitation.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hmmm- bone marrow transplants are pretty damn dangerous...

And not all patients will be tissue matches to donors who's cells have the immune mutation.

Killing off all your OWN marrow and, thereby, all your own T cells is a risky therapy...
But it makes sense since people with donated marrow have immune systems with genetics matching their donors, not themselves... and if the virus can not propagate, eventually the body will destroy every one of them...

I am not sure I see any way this can translate into an actual therapy other than marrow replacement...
No genetic therapy we have postulated has the power to replace the genes of your entire immune system in one stroke...

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I remember reading about this mutation a few times. It is believed that the reason it is more common among Europeans is that one of the big plagues (I don't remember which one) may have been a selection process for the mutation. I believe the information indicated that the lack of this specific protein within the cell membrane also prevented infection by that particular plague pathogen, resulting in the previously unexplainable survival of some individuals who lived among many who succumbed.

Gene or other therapy based on this mutation could save many lives, but I hope it doesn't plant false hopes that the disease is no longer anything to fear, and rampant unsafe sex returns. What I'd fear is if the rapidly-mutating HIV virus somehow managed to attach itself via a different protein, thus starting the arms race against this disease all over again. I hope that when Bush finally leaves office, funding for science will increase again, so we don't have to rely on profit-seeking drug companies as the sole source of medical research.
:)

auncut10in

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...and herpes cases skyrocket.

But hopefully a cure'll kill the God's plague arguments once and for all

Well that was always a stupid argument. I mean if you believe God gives disease out as a social comment on who he loves and who he hates, you have to believe God hates women as well since he gives them breast cancer.

Well that was always a stupid argument. I mean if you believe God gives disease out as a social comment on who he loves and who he hates, you have to believe God hates women as well since he gives them breast cancer.

God I hope this works! I hope all these potential cures work.

Logic arguments are not these peoples' fortes to begin with... they'll twist whatever argument they can manage just to hang on to their hate.

And yeah.

I'd love to see a return to the days of complete hedonistic sex. Sex is pleasurable and fun. If you want to be promiscuous then be promiscuous. If you don't then don't. Judging someone else's sexual behavior is what makes LGBT people second class citizens or even capital criminals in other countries.

It pains me that the US has such insidiously Puritanical values even among people who profess to have none. It's such an insidious infection of the cultural subconscious that it's difficult to catch ourselves when we do it.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Only 1% of Europeans carry the immunity/beneficial mutation. That's low odds.

You would have to do a lot of replication. Not sure if that's viable. Also, maybe non-European's bodies would reject the mutation?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Mark Schoofs, the author of that article, is a well known Pulitzer Prize winner on the subject of HIV & AIDS. Considering that he's one of the most credible people out there on the subject, this article provides everyone a much needed glimmer of hope with dealing with the AIDS crisis. The Pulitzer Prizes | Citation

We can worry about the cost of the cure, the effect it will have on people and their sexual responsibilities later. Right now, let's just eliminate this virus.