Who's into pc's?

Leviathan

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love building things, I love modifying things. And now I have an idea,stupid...yet daring. My pc overheated for the first time in my life yesterday. Now I wanna build my entire pc into a fridge, with some spare room for beer. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I also thought about building let's say...aircon parts into my pc case. Anything wild but plausible would do.
Thanx:smile:

dags

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So did your motherboard get fried? If you need some additional cooling there are products available to keep your hardware cool, probably not cool enough for beer LOL. I order alot of my computer hardware from TigerDirect.com Super Buys - Computer Parts, PC Components, Desktop Computers, Laptops, Notebooks and Lower prices on computers, laptops, mp3 players, motherboards, computer parts and electronics - Pricewatch.com There are better high quality fans for your cpu and special units with fans for hard drives that fit right on the bottom of them. Let me know if you need any specific info.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... I wanna build my entire pc into a fridge ...
Not a good idea. Computer components are designed for room temperature. For instance, many disk drives have fluid dynamic bearings in which a fluid is constantly between the metal parts. Refrigerator temps might cause that fluid to get too thick.

I won't even mention condensation when the door is opened.

Young'NHung

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not a good idea. Computer components are designed for room temperature. For instance, many disk drives have fluid dynamic bearings in which a fluid is constantly between the metal parts. Refrigerator temps might cause that fluid to get too thick.

I won't even mention condensation when the door is opened.

You beat me to it Steve.

If you want extreme cooling, go with a water-cooled system. They're a bitch to design yourself (esp. w/ copper tubing). Here is one that is generic, you my be able to get it into your sytem: Product Details

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Scavenge the cooling system from a Macintosh G5, and put it into your Windows box... you should be able to find the parts somewhere...

TeflonDon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey, do any of you guys know of good canadian online sites? I need to upgrade my computer really soon....actually I need to up soo many parts I'm basically buying a whole new comp ;) I get to keep my harddrives, Sound card, monitor-mouse-keyboard LOL.

Anyhelp on good online sites would be Much appreciated. In return(you might know this site already) this is the site I use for all my A/V cabling etc monoPrice.com - best quality products at the lowest price

Not Canadian, but when you pay 22$ With conversion and shipping for a 24 AWG 6 foot HDMI cable it doesn't matter ;) Lovely site for Any cable concerns.

Thanks!

Teflon

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you want extreme cooling, go with a water-cooled system.
Gawd, that brings back memories! When I started as a Programmer the mainframe computers were often liquid cooled. An external cabinet contained a refrigeration-type chiller which cooled a glycol/water solution to about 35F. Tubing routed the liquid throughout the computer.

In the mid90s they changed to CMOS circuits which run cooler and [ironically?] suffice with air cooling.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey, do any of you guys know of good canadian online sites?

I'm not sure about Canadian sites specifically, but for the last few machines I've built, I sourced the components at NewEgg.com. They're in the states, but I wouldn't think there'd be issues with servicing folks to the north.

Their prices are usually within a dollar or two of the best prices found on Pricewatch, but their reputation and service are head-and-shoulders above most other online retailers.

mightyjoeb

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey, do any of you guys know of good canadian online sites? I need to upgrade my computer really soon....actually I need to up soo many parts I'm basically buying a whole new comp ;) I get to keep my harddrives, Sound card, monitor-mouse-keyboard LOL.

Anyhelp on good online sites would be Much appreciated. In return(you might know this site already) this is the site I use for all my A/V cabling etc monoPrice.com - best quality products at the lowest price

Not Canadian, but when you pay 22$ With conversion and shipping for a 24 AWG 6 foot HDMI cable it doesn't matter ;) Lovely site for Any cable concerns.

Thanks!

Teflon

Hi.. not sure which part of Canada you're from, but here are some places I know.
Based in Vancouver: Anitec
and NCIX
The above 2 are independent custom computer builders / parts stores.

Also try TigerDirect.ca
It's fairly competitively priced, but do watch out for their shipping/handling fees.

Good luck!

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Liquid cooling is the rage, but there's also cryogenic kits out there too.

"http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/30/5_ghz_project/index.html"

"http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/asetek/lightspeedl/lightspeed.html"