Who's the best drummer, dead or alive?

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not the BEST, but my favorite is Martin Lopez, formerly of Opeth. Metal drummer, but with a latin feel. Groovy as hell, creative fills and awesome rudiments. Very unique drummer for a rather unique band.

A short video of drums only (nearly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJt_4Gafq6g

Coincedentally, this is arguably his best (NOT flashiest) performance and arguably their best song...note how groovy and flexible he is, not your standard static metal drummer or beat pushing thrash/punk pounder at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not the BEST, but my favorite is Martin Lopez, formerly of Opeth. Metal drummer, but with a latin feel. Groovy as hell, creative fills and awesome rudiments. Very unique drummer for a rather unique band.

A short video of drums only (nearly)

YouTube - Martin Lopez - Ghost of Perdition

Coincedentally, this is arguably his best (NOT flashiest) performance and arguably their best song...note how groovy and flexible he is, not your standard static metal drummer or beat pushing thrash/punk pounder at all

YouTube - Opeth - The Drapery Falls

Reminded me I forgot about Stephen Perkins.

Qua... normally I'd toss some random mention of a metal drummer off with scoff. But since the Holdsworth avatar (I must be the only one to inquire about it) has held you in esteem.... gave it ago.

The music is passe (and I have my fair share of metal)... but yes, gotcha on this cat, love his timing. Bingo on the influence. I'm sure he's better that what you've given, but oft it's about feel vs technicianship and schwanker. Oh and timing,/... Stewart Copeland had a bit of all... including timing.

A bit passe... and I feel this can apply to drumming.... it's a take a Miles Davis quote...

amidst all the flurry, half the art, is the notes you don't play. that's timing, improv and "feel" which can never be taught. You see all those robots (especially in the classical field of violin and piano) repeating the most intricate classical music... but what is always missing is the feeling, the spirit, and one's own interpretation... that counts threefold over technicianship IMHO... why I gave more props to Moonie than a technician would.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone like Keith Carlock?

I'm surprised as well with the lack of Peart fans.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BTW, not the biggest Neil Peart fan... as he is a 52-piece set into xylophone... I think Rush purists would love to see him (and challenge him) to a very small set and re-transpose songs accordingly.. it's getting a bit ridiculous IMHO.

but he proves his worth on a simple kit at the Buddy Rich tribute...what he does circa 1 -2 minutes is classic Rich... so give him props on the emulation... then he segues into some simple but epic Peart circa 2:10-2:30, and then goes right back into seminal Buddy Rich.

Props there.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BTW, not the biggest Neil Peart fan... as he is a 52-piece set into xylophone... I think Rush purists would love to see him (and challenge him) to a very small set and re-transpose songs accordingly.. it's getting a bit ridiculous IMHO.

but he proves his worth on a simple kit at the Buddy Rich tribute...what he does circa 1 -2 minutes is classic Rich... so give him props on the emulation... then he segues into some simple but epic Peart circa 2:10-2:30, and then goes right back into seminal Buddy Rich.

Props there.

Shiite, forgot the link:

YouTube - Neil Peart (Buddy Rich Memorial Concert)
YouTube - Neil Peart (Buddy Rich Memorial Concert)

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Haha, well he's Uruguayan, so it's not that hard to see the influence (I just cheated). As far as pretentious prog metal goes they're surprisingly genuine sounding, and can lighten up well...unlike most metal bands.

They did one album completely devoid of the death growls, double bass drum and distorted guitars. The result is a very moody 70s prog rocky sounding thing. And the video of two songs from it is baited with pictures of Yamila Diaz, so how can one complain? YouTube - Opeth - In My Time Of Need [Yamila Diaz-Rahi]

Passe across all genres perhaps, but in the progressive metal world Opeth is one of the few bands to genuinely and relatively seamlessly combine death metal and quality (non-corny or epic) melodic work while using dissonance to good effect.

I'm quite a metalhead, but also a guitar fanatic across the spectrum and not a metal player exactly, thus my love for Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, and other assorted fusion/real jazz players. And yeah...you're one of only two people to recognize it. The other (morsecode I believe) has Guthrie's album cover as his avatar, so I wasn't surprised there.

Holdsworth is easily the best improvisational guitarist I've ever heard (on the level of the great jazz saxophonists, if I daresay) and a complete innovator in his use of effects and techniques. Totally unsung to the point that most guitarists don't even realize the scope of his influence. Everything from fast legato lines to the ubiquitouos fluid distortion tone is in a large part his doing. There would have been no Eddie Van Halen without Holdsworth, if that puts it in perspective for people unfamiliar with him.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haha, well he's Uruguayan, so it's not that hard to see the influence (I just cheated). As far as pretentious prog metal goes they're surprisingly genuine sounding, and can lighten up well...unlike most metal bands.

They did one album completely devoid of the death growls, double bass drum and distorted guitars. The result is a very moody 70s prog rocky sounding thing. And the video of two songs from it is baited with pictures of Yamila Diaz, so how can one complain? YouTube - Opeth - In My Time Of Need [Yamila Diaz-Rahi]

Passe across all genres perhaps, but in the progressive metal world Opeth is one of the few bands to genuinely and relatively seamlessly combine death metal and quality (non-corny or epic) melodic work while using dissonance to good effect.

I'm quite a metalhead, but also a guitar fanatic across the spectrum and not a metal player exactly, thus my love for Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, and other assorted fusion/real jazz players. And yeah...you're one of only two people to recognize it. The other (morsecode I believe) has Guthrie's album cover as his avatar, so I wasn't surprised there.

Holdsworth is easily the best improvisational guitarist I've ever heard (on the level of the great jazz saxophonists, if I daresay) and a complete innovator in his use of effects and techniques. Totally unsung to the point that most guitarists don't even realize the scope of his influence. Everything from fast legato lines to the ubiquitouos fluid distortion tone is in a large part his doing. There would have been no Eddie Van Halen without Holdsworth, if that puts it in perspective for people unfamiliar with him.

Nice. Holdsworth... a little too much of a technician for my preference. I understand and appreciate, but I'll take Clapton a la Dominoes or SRV hopp'd on nose candy doing _______... and so forth. Soul, power, and spirit means much to this kid. But I've enjoyed many prog, fusion guys over the years. DiMeola (although a ''runner" and purveryor of exotic) , McLaughlin (anglo schwanker).. and so on. Was introduced circa Metal Fatigue and Road Games... but at that time, had so many influences in so many genres going on.... Allan took a back seat, to a number of folk, but mainly Leo Brouwer during that era for me. Old times.

Was waiting for you to drop Biréli Lagrène on me next.

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media

Ooohh, my name has been dropped, sadly I've changed my avatar in honor of Chuck's awesomeness, Guthrie is still amazing though. That video is weird, I was listening to that album while riding the train, I was having a rough morning, and I felt really sad while hearing that song, now I have mixed feelings about it, now with the hot chick on the video.

I'm not much into drumming, but I think this guy is good YouTube - Mastodon "Bang a Gong"

Last edited:

Pdick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They don't call Neil the Professor for nothing. Yeah he has the worlds biggest drum kit, but he can play on anything, and leave you wondering just exactly what meter he was playing in. He makes most drummers look like noobs.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have to agree BUDDY RICH takes some beating (no pun intended) No one has mention the infamous RAY COOPER who often work with ELTON JOHN one memorable tour was Funeral for a Friend.

I also remember being blown away with the energy and showmanship of ERIC DELANEY

Bring back the BIG BAND sound nothing like the full on sound.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Also...anyone ever heard of Morgen Agren? He was one of Zappa's proteges along with Terry Bozzio and Vinnny Colaiuta (who are also both incredible)

Definitely a "too many notes" drummer, but my god...his touch, precision, chops and rhythmic creativity are mind boggling. He did a solo project with Meshuggah's lead guitarist (the metal realm's masters of polyrhythm), of which this is a medly...christ almighty the man's inhuman.

YouTube - Meshuggah (Fredrik) + Morgan Incredible Medley

He's not anywhere near the greatest, but Danny Carey of Tool is amazingly tasteful for such an unconventional rock drummer. And his timing is something to be desired. Precise yet not mechanical.

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Also...anyone ever heard of Morgen Agren? He was one of Zappa's proteges along with Terry Bozzio and Vinnny Colaiuta (who are also both incredible)

Definitely a "too many notes" drummer, but my god...his touch, precision, chops and rhythmic creativity are mind boggling. He did a solo project with Meshuggah's lead guitarist (the metal realm's masters of polyrhythm), of which this is a medly...christ almighty the man's inhuman.

YouTube - Meshuggah (Fredrik) + Morgan Incredible Medley

He's not anywhere near the greatest, but Danny Carey of Tool is amazingly tasteful for such an unconventional rock drummer. And his timing is something to be desired. Precise yet not mechanical.

Most Zappa proteges don't suck, FWIW.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
speaking of... fucking Steve Jordan is an ANIMAL...

YouTube - Eric Clapton - 'Got To Get Better In A Little While'

Dig how he is tearing it up on Derek & The Dominoes GTGBIALW. Is dude really ripping it up with that kit??????!!!!! He coulda tossed a cymbal or two, and called it a 5-piece.

Slowhand at 61 yrs old... was like "yer gonna do Gordon's parts on that? ...including a solo?!".

Certainly not that 134-piece set that Neil Peart lugs around, huh????

That Clapton guy... didn't seem to age well (rollseyes)

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Moonie was technically not a very good drummer. Much less Jimmy Page was a bit sloppy as well. But that's not what counts. I love Moonies drumming, but I've played with enough drummers that have the expertise and told me so.

ROCK:

Stewart Copeland
Moonie
Bonzo
Neil Peart (i'm shocked there are already over a dozen posts on this, and no Neil)- can
Steve Gorman
Richard Starkey

Jeff Porcaro
Bill Bruford
Phil Selway
Steve Smith
Zac Starkey - i've seen him 3 times now, and am always impressed
Chad Wackerman - great name for a drummer, btw

JAZZ:
Krupa
Rich
Dave Weckl
Billy Cobham
Jack DeJohnette
Steve Gadd - could toss him in rock, too
Roy Haynes
Big Sid Catlett
Art Blakely

Thought of Steve the other day... and YouToobin'... found this gem. This opening drum lick...

YouTube - Gadd's 50 Ways

SUBLIME is an understatement. It's like he's about to provide counterpoint, but doesn't and maintains the groove. More Gadd:

YouTube - Steve Gadd - the basic paradidlle grove