Whos to Blame for New Orleans?

jwc1978

Just Browsing
Media
Since Camille exacted her fury on the Gulf Coast, we have been warned that it could happen again. My father was in the National Guard at that time. He helped clean up in the wake of Camille, long before I was born and before he met my mother. He rarely speaks of it and when he does the stories are horrifying.

Now, almost forty years later, we are facing the aftermath of a storm more disastrous than Camille: Hurricane Katrina. The storm made landfall in almost the exact place that Camille hit all those years ago, annihilating everything in its path from Pascagoula to Waveland. Katrina then turned her fury north where she took out electrical systems statewide as far north as Tupelo. As I write this, everything south of the parallel line that I-20 draws between Meridian and Jackson is a disaster area. Half of the state’s residents are still without power and gasoline shortages hinder anyone’s attempts to wait out the recovery somewhere else. So far the death toll in Mississippi is around 130; we were the lucky ones.

The greatest fear about Katrina is that she would strike New Orleans, Louisiana with the full force of her wrath, and many watched with relief as she made landfall miles east of there in the Biloxi-Gulfport area of Mississippi. The Big Easy had been spared, or so we thought. Hours after we thought the city was safe, catastrophe stuck. The levee system that held back lake Pontchatrain failed and water began to pour into downtown New Orleans. Most of the City lies below sea level between Lake Pontchatrain and the Mississippi River. The levee system was designed to keep both of them out of down town New Orleans, even under the brutal force of a Category 3 hurricane’s storm surge. Unfortunately as Katrina made her way across the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, she increased in power making landfall as a Category 5. The levee walls just couldn’t withstand the force. 80% of New Orleans is now underwater and it is predicted that it will be at least 3 months before people can go back in and start rebuilding.

So who’s to blame for New Orleans? The hard left Bush-bashers blame the president. The right wingers blame previous administrations. Who's fault is it really?

Every city official who didn’t listen since 1969 has a part in this. Every President who lowballed funding to the state of Louisana for the last 40 years burden of responsibility. The Louisiana legislature and Governors that rolled over to the feds should carry some of the guilt. We were all warned over and over again. Money was given to repair and upgrade the levee system, but greedy and corrupt New Orleans officials squandered the money or pocketed it while screaming at the federal government for more. Engineers estimate it will take approximately 30 years to complete a complex levee system strong enough to withstand a category 5 hurricane. Camille was 36 years ago. They could have been done by now.

Thousands of lives could have been saved by heeding the warnings of many who were accused of crying wolf. For those who care to read it, this exact scenario was described almost one year ago by a writer for National Geographic in the an article called Gone with the Water (http://205.188.130.53/ngm/0410/feature5/). But the city of New Orleans was having too much fun partying in the French Quarter to care.

Last call.... Party’s over…. Anyone got the bus tickets home?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by jwc1978@Sep 2 2005, 06:03 PM
Since Camille exacted her fury on the Gulf Coast, we have been warned that it could happen again. My father was in the National Guard at that time. He helped clean up in the wake of Camille, long before I was born and before he met my mother. He rarely speaks of it and when he does the stories are horrifying.

Now, almost forty years later, we are facing the aftermath of a storm more disastrous than Camille: Hurricane Katrina.
[post=340275]Quoted post[/post]​
You did a good job! There are plenty of folks that can take part of the blame for this. Probably going back to pre Camille days.

tallonem

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Very well written!! The National Geographic article is almost scary as to it's predictions of what WOULD happen. It's amazing that is almost exactly what has happened. In my opinion New Orleans fate was sealed long before any of us were born. It was just a matter of time.

smallman

1st Like
Media
this was pretty much right on and well written to boot. my one problem is that right-wingers actually havent blamed Clinton so much for this onw, there were plenty of state and local level dems to blame it on.

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by smallman@Sep 4 2005, 06:33 AM
this was pretty much right on and well written to boot. my one problem is that right-wingers actually havent blamed Clinton so much for this onw, there were plenty of state and local level dems to blame it on.
[post=340597]Quoted post[/post]​

As much as they profess to be victims of the stupid NEXT level of chain of command, they all want to be "in-charge" making sure their boss is responsible or "at fault".

I think they finally have gotten the "point" of just how out of line their allegations regarding President Clinton were..

He, Bill Clinton was and is welcome in any country in the world........Bush may get arrested for war crimes if not careful....

BILL CLINTON REPRESENTED THE UNITED STATES HONORABLY..........NO ONE GROUP BOUGHT HIS WAY INTO OFFICE.

and remember, the Right Never gave him the courtesy of being in command, but they held him responsible for EVERYTHING........THE SCHMUCKS!

blackwood

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by blackwood+Sep 4 2005, 03:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackwood &#064; Sep 4 2005, 03:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-smallman@Sep 4 2005, 06:33 AM

As much as they profess to be victims of the stupid NEXT level of chain of command, they all want to be "in-charge" making sure their boss is responsible or "at fault".

I think they finally have gotten the "point" of just how out of line their allegations regarding President Clinton were..

He, Bill Clinton was and is welcome in any country in the world........Bush may get arrested for war crimes if not careful....

BILL CLINTON REPRESENTED THE UNITED STATES HONORABLY..........NO ONE GROUP BOUGHT HIS WAY INTO OFFICE.

and remember, the Right Never gave him the courtesy of being in command, but they held him responsible for EVERYTHING........THE SCHMUCKS&#33;

blackwood
[post=340680]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I agree with you, but mark my word. When the Senate gets around to investigating this disaster, they will start with the Clinton years. They will ask for documents. Every possible move will be made to paint the lack of planning for a disaster and plan for defending New Orleans on the Clintons. Somehow, they would like to pin the tail on Hillary. I&#39;m sure they will find a way. They have tried it before and they will do it again.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Freddie53+Sep 5 2005, 07:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Freddie53 &#064; Sep 5 2005, 07:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by blackwood@Sep 4 2005, 03:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-smallman
@Sep 4 2005, 06:33 AM

and remember, the Right Never gave him the courtesy of being in command, but they held him responsible for EVERYTHING........THE SCHMUCKS&#33;

blackwood
[post=340680]Quoted post[/post]​
I agree with you, but mark my word. When the Senate gets around to investigating this disaster, they will start with the Clinton years. They will ask for documents. Every possible move will be made to paint the lack of planning for a disaster and plan for defending New Orleans on the Clintons. Somehow, they would like to pin the tail on Hillary. I&#39;m sure they will find a way. They have tried it before and they will do it again.
[post=340792]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

You are right. Somehow, they have blamed everything negative on the now famous blow job in the white house and the spot on the blue dress. Who knew those incidents could destroy our country&#33; (I even doubt if it was the first blow job in the white house....)

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
And although the BUSHISHITLER&#33;&#33;&#33; CHENEYISSATAN&#33;&#33;&#33; HALIBURTON&#33;&#33;&#33; crowd will never be swayed, the rest of you might want to give this a look too.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Oh, and at the top of FEMA&#39;s list of relief organizations? Guess who? I&#39;ll give you a clue: He wants to kill a certain South American head of state. Funny thing is, back during Rwanda, Robertson funneled charitable contributions to his diamond mining company.