Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And no, this isn't a reference to an expensive razor advert.

Many cool deities have fallen by the wayside since emperor Constantine had a hallucinogenic trip 1700 years ago, especially goddesses.

A couple of my faves are:

Minerva - Roman goddess of wisdom and strategic warfare, justice, law, victory, and the sponsor of arts, trade, and strategy. Plus she invented the flute, talk about multitasking... Also, she likes owls, owls are pretty cool.

Freyja - Norse goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, sex, war, gold and seiðr. Freyja is the owner of the necklace Brísingamen, rides a chariot pulled by two cats, is accompanied by the boar Hildisvíni, and possesses a cloak of falcon feathers. Magic and cats, what's not to like?

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To me, the entire universe is sacred.

Out of curiosity, do you mean that in an animistic or pantheistic sense?

Despite being atheistic myself, my soft spot for polytheism is because I feel the deities included tend to anthropomorphise human emotions, natural phenomena or societal factors.

Specifically on goddesses, there is an example that always intrigued me in England, the city of Bath, the old Roman name being "Aquae Sulis Minerva", or the "Waters of Sulis Minerva". The Romans noticed similarities between a local goddess, Sulis, and one of their most important ones, Minerva, so they decided to build a shrine so that the Ancient Britons would come and worship Sulis, and the Romans could worship Minerva.