Why a clean towel to go shower?

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm confused about something I've seen several men do at my Y (my man does this too, and he doesn't have any explanation for me): They wrap a clean towel around their dirty sweaty smelly backsides in order to walk about 50 feet to an open shower where they hang up the towel on a hook and proceed to shower naked.

Why dirty a clean towel? Why not just hold it in your hand and march to the showers naked? We all have the same equipment, more or less.

NCbear (who's honestly mystified by this -- does fear of nudity really trump hygiene? :rolleyes:)

D

deleted3782

Because they is skeert that someone will see their wang...

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Yeah I don't get that either. I do wrap a towel but I usually sit in the steam for 10-15 minutes, then shuck that towel, and get a clean one for drying after my shower.

cwboy22

Sexy Member
Media
I thought about this earlier in the week. Normally I am the only one in the locker room so I don't cover up. However Tuesday there was another guy in the same row of lockers and I put the towel on. I had really worked up a sweat and thought now my towel wasn't clean. I don't know why I did it. It doesn't bother me to be naked in the lockers or showers unless there kids in the showers. I guess I am just weird.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
the gym I go to you bring your OWN towel so.... no idea (odd tho)

there is the 'towel in front of your groing' vs the 'wrap around and show and outline' towel debate.... (for me I guess its if I am in a hurry or not, if I am real sweaty I like the backside to air out so....or if I have stuff to carry (HATE the 'free shampoo' at the gym- it's like lye...eats thru my skin)

badgirl22

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Never thought of it but sooo true - drying one's self off with a dirty sweaty towel after showering is just nasty but I guess for some modesty does trump hygiene

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Never thought of it but sooo true - drying one's self off with a dirty sweaty towel after showering is just nasty but I guess for some modesty does trump hygiene
Maybe the guy who has the dirty,scummy,sweaty towel hangin in the shower knows his towel wont be taken by the guy next to him who forgot his towel(kidding).

carter2006

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I see this all the time too, it's so gross! I also cringe when I see the following lockerroom activities:

* Putting your ditry clothes in the same bag as your clean clothes
* Putting your footwear in the same bag as your clothes
* Not showering before going into the pool/spa/sauna etc
* Not showering at all!

Gross!

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Regarding putting on a towel to go to the shower. I don't put it around my waist, I carry it in front of me if I want to be modest. That's usually when the cleaning lady is in the locker room. If it's just guys, I walk naked holding the towel at my side.

I don't see it as dirty though if you do put it around your waist. I mean, it's not like you wiped yourself down THEN wrapped it around yourself. The bulk of the towel is still clean.

On the idea of dirty clothes and/or shoes going in your bag, do what I've learned from the Czechs. Carry a few plastic grocery store bags in your gym bag pockets. Use them for your shoes and your dirty clothes, wet towel, etc.

S

SirConcis

What I would be interested in finding out is what TV programme influenced a whole generation to do the "towel dance" and make it look like a sin to be naked in a men's locker room.