Why are people so absent minded?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was coming home from the supermarket and had to make one more stop. As I was leaving in my car a guy came up to me and said he needed help because he had run out of gas. He had taken his wife to the airport (from about 80 miles away) and said he forgot his wallet in his other pants. I don't think it was a scam. Anyway, I did not know if he was totally out of gas and needed one of those red plastic gas cans (which I did not have) or if he wanted me to follow him to the gas station. I declined to get involved in his problems.

The reason I say he is absent minded is that he drove to the airport without checking his fuel gage, and he for forgot his wallet. If you had groceries in your trunk would you have stopped and paid for this guys gas?

(if you are an absent minded person it is a good idea to keep $20 hidden somewhere in your vehicle for emergencies.)

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm...

Maybe they were running late to the airport and they were in such a hurry that he didn't even think about the gas? Idk.

I probably wouldn't fill his tank up completely, but I would probably give him a litle bit of gas. How far was he from home?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hmm...

Maybe they were running late to the airport and they were in such a hurry that he didn't even think about the gas? Idk.

I probably wouldn't fill his tank up completely, but I would probably give him a litle bit of gas. How far was he from home?

80 miles and I do not know how big his vehicle was.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm it's a dilemna isn't it. But only cos it's possibly a scam.

I would have put $10 - $15 in - enough to get him home, possibly. but I'd have just paid for the fuel, not given him cash, if it was at a petrol station convenient to me and I wasn't in a massive rush....

i.e. I'd have helped him out, just in case he was genuine.
Cos I'd hope someone someday, if I needed it, would help me out too.

I've never gone out without my wallet but I have come close to running out of fuel on a few occasions. Only cos I get distracted when I pass the services and then its a matter of 'gliding' to the next one cos I'm down to the last millilitre! :eek:

I wouldn't call myself 'absent minded' (very often, anyway :rolleyes:) but I would call myself 'easily distracted'! :tongue:

I'd rather do a good turn and risk being scammed than leave someone stranded, anyway.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm with K8 on this... I would feel guilty if I didn't put a little bit of gas in his car, just in case he was being honest.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Didn't we kinda do this already... :confused:

:tongue:

Edit: About the guy, would I have helped him? Mmmmm - I'd like to say yes but I think the answer is probably no. Had he been a woman I'd have listened for long enough to work out if I believed her or not - but a guy approaching a woman on her own (which the guy here didn't, obviously, he approached mem, a man) is either pulling a fast one or is not very bright.

Likewise I never stop for male hitchhikers unless there is a man in the car already, I will pick up female hitchhikers. Sexist? Or careful? Or both? :dunno:

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At least you got a guy with a genuine problem on his hands. The only strangers who accost me seem to be Jehova's witnesses. Not that they don't have genuine problems. But with them it's more of a mental issue.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
(if you are an absent minded person it is a good idea to keep $20 hidden somewhere in your vehicle for emergencies.)

Something of a situational non-sequitur? I mean you'd probably forget both that you'd hidden it, where or both!!

Would I have helped, not impossible but doubtful and only to pay for the fuel, not a hand out. I've tried to 'help' in the past and too often heard "Oh, I don't want to inconvenience you ..." or "That's OK, <insert excuse here>". That's an immediate offer withdrawal.

But 80 miles is a long way to push a car if he was legit ...:eek:

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
Hmmm it's a dilemna isn't it. But only cos it's possibly a scam.

I would have put $10 - $15 in - enough to get him home, possibly. but I'd have just paid for the fuel, not given him cash, if it was at a petrol station convenient to me and I wasn't in a massive rush....

i.e. I'd have helped him out, just in case he was genuine.
Cos I'd hope someone someday, if I needed it, would help me out too.

I'd rather do a good turn and risk being scammed than leave someone stranded, anyway.

i would have done the same thing too because i honestly believe there is still some kindness left in strangers. there's a lot of weirdos out there, but not everyone is a creep either. even if the a person was scamming me, it's all left to karma to decide in the long run.

beretta8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
eh, last summer there were incidences where the unfortunate person ran out of gas....down the block.....came a knockin on my door......"do you have $10 I ran out of gas"...or "my car broke down"....A definite NO was given.....several days later ....same person...same issue......at the convenience store.....with a very bad memory.....again I said NO......obviously scamming

If I were 80 miles from home...out of gas.....I would be on the cell phone calling family.... friends.....no cp?.....calling collect.....my last option would be to ask a complete stranger for "gas" money......

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Having been around so much poverty, both in the USA and abroad, I just go ahead and help people. So what if the bum in the street is going to take what little change you give him to buy a bottle of Ripple? Sure it's not good for him. But at least for a short while later in the day he or she will have a bit of respite (albeit in a drunken haze) from the daily Hell he or she endures.

I grew up in a religious community and State that had big things to say about charity and caring for "our brothers and sisters", but the barrier was quite clear that only those officially recognized as "brothers and sisters" were to be offered any kind of help or be trusted. I also remember how much better things were for the mentally ill and impoverished BEFORE Herr Reagan began his dismantling of the public safety net systems for the indigent and dispossessed. Anyone else remember the month shortly after he was elected when funding for public health services were slashed and suddenly the streets were full of newly homeless? If not, you're blind as well as stupid.

Even more shocking to me has been the few times I've been with friends I assumed were somewhat enlightened only to watch them yell and scream at a homeless person who asked them for 25 cents or a Dollar. Sure, you're going to get ripped off now and then, but more often than not you most likely will be spreading a small bit of positive karma.

A woman rushed up to me in a supermarket parking lot one afternoon begging for money to buy Kotex. I gave her a couple of dollars and she ran into the the store. While I was shopping I bought a couple of boxes of Kotex just in case I saw her again. I never did. She was probably scamming me. But a couple of weeks later those boxes of Kotex came in handy when I picked up a complete human wreck of a woman walking along on I-80 in the middle of the desert who didn't know who or where she was. She was filthy. But I endured the smell in my truck and drove her to the local women's health clinic in my little town in Nevada. The County Nurse was very happy when I presented her with those boxes of Kotex after handing over the lost woman.

Whenever I'm back in the USA I drop off regular offerings of soap, toiletries, hand cream, and a few "clearance" item blouses, women's pants and T-shirts to the local shelter. The Hell with giving to some professional charity group that is going to take a 25&#37; cut (for administrative purposes) before they hand out the rest of the dough to non-profit charities who need the money.

About the only group I do not help directly are the professional gypsies who work the Metro cars in Bar&#231;elona and other large cities in Europe. Roms have their own culture and as fascinated by it as I am, I cannot bring myself to directly support it. When pressed, I hand them any loose USA change I may have on me. They look at it, know that it's money, but don't quite know what to do with it. At least I give them something.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At least you got a guy with a genuine problem on his hands. The only strangers who accost me seem to be Jehova's witnesses. Not that they don't have genuine problems. But with them it's more of a mental issue.
The quick and easy way to get them to stop the attack - instantly - is to say, "I'll listen to your sales pitch if you suck my cock first."

I've not had one be so insistent, ever, after that line.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
:lmao:
You think that'll work if I use it? :rolleyes:

I think it would.

AS for the OP:
I would probably help, though I know I have been 'taken' many times.
But I still think you should do something, if you can at all afford it.
You never know when someone really needs help.
(But hey, things do have to pass the sniff test, and I probably wouldn't give more than 10 or 15 dollars ... enough to do the trick of getting the guy home.)

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was coming home from the supermarket and had to make one more stop. As I was leaving in my car a guy came up to me and said he needed help because he had run out of gas. He had taken his wife to the airport (from about 80 miles away) and said he forgot his wallet in his other pants. I don't think it was a scam. Anyway, I did not know if he was totally out of gas and needed one of those red plastic gas cans (which I did not have) or if he wanted me to follow him to the gas station. I declined to get involved in his problems.

The reason I say he is absent minded is that he drove to the airport without checking his fuel gage, and he for forgot his wallet. If you had groceries in your trunk would you have stopped and paid for this guys gas?

this is the exact same conversation me and a co-worker were having today. i think oneof the biggest factor's of absentmindedness is the fact that today more than ever, people's lives are filled with so much clutter, so much to do, so much to think about that we often end up forgetting things. i used to work in a pharmacy and people would leave checkbooks, once i found a travelers checkbook, credit cards, id's, CHILDREN. too much goin on and we're always in a rush stressing ourselves, overloading ourselves. we're so priveleged with so much that it becomes a burden keeping up with our own lives

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Can't say in that individual case, but my favorite scam (?) is one of my neighbors knocking on everyone's door, wanting to borrow money and his excuse is he always needs it for filling prescriptions for his sick daughter. Unfortunately for him, he has the audacity to show up smelling like a few beers already. Almost as if he sat and drank himself out of his reserve/stock to get the courage up to knock on everyone's door as a party fund raising effort.

The first time he did it, I sent him on his way empty handed, but there was a little guilt thinking maybe the guy makes enough money to buy these other things, but doctor bills and medications are beyond that means ? Certainly a child's health shouldn't be jeopardized over their parent's situation, even if it's self inflicted to a certain extent ? But I think I made the right decision, he's only tried pulling it a couple times, probably finding a victim/funding source elsewhere ? I wish I knew 100% for certain though, financial aid for a true and worthy cause is something I wouldn't have an issue with, but panhandling under false pretenses of that magnitude and I'd be lividly irate to say the least over the man even wasting my time and attention to listen to his bullshit lies. The effort to answer the knock on the door is grounds for pounding his stupid, lying, drunk @ss into the ground ?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
in this day and age its great to hear that there are people who help others in need, HOWEVER in this day and age i'd like to remind everybody the sad truth that stopping to help someone for something as simple as directions can sometimes be a rouse to get lured into some sort of attack whether it's a rape, robbery, or just random murder. i urge you guys to be careful because my aunt was helping a young man who simply asked for two dollars when his friend came up from behind her, they drugged her, took her to an ATM and made her withdraw every penny from her bank account. PLEASE be careful people