Why are there a lot of women who don't like to drive at night?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
ML says: hey, could you give me a ride home? is kinda dark outside.

translation: i am at one location. i would like to go to another location, and have sex with you.

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Everything Altered Ego said!

I have never liked driving at night and have had some creepy situations. I've been followed before and it is scary as shit! Especially at night. One guy followed me off the interstate. I watched him get off his motorcycle behind me at the light and I freaked out big time and ran the iight. I got on and off the interstate multiple times before I lost him by hiding in a neighborhood I was unfamilar with. This was before everyone had mobile phones.

I don't see that well and my sense of direction is terrible. We don't have AAA, so I would have to call hubby and wait for him on the side of the road if the car broke down.

I do have to drive at night once in a while. Even though I have a weapon these days, it doesn't help the vision problem.

Also, I lived in Los Angeles for 10 years and think that is a big part of my fear factor. Car jackings were an everyday occurance back then.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
most women, from a very early age, have it drummed into them that they aren't safe going out at night alone.

on the one hand, it's shitty to train our daughters to live in fear.
on the other hand, i've had far too many incidents or near misses to want her taking the extra risks that darkness presents.

i'm only happy going out in a group, with a guy or with a dog. and it's not that i can't defend myself. psychos don't find out you can look after yourself until after they've made a move, and i don't want to be in that situation.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
with the why pointed out, i completely understand women *anyone really* being more comfortable not being alone at night. is just one of those thoughts that don't shout very loud in my head.

i guess i might have a false sense of comfort being a giant girl. heavily armed. and vicious as fuck. there is also the protection of being/living a butchboy lifestyle. most of my life was spent looking like a dude *a very cute dude :tongue1:, so i walked out at night... i worried about homophobic assholes, maybe about getting mugged.. i just didn't look like a target for assault.. or i didn't/don't imagine myself as one.

*pondering and rambling* i always walked my girl home. always drove her home, walked her to the door. i kept an eye out for assholes in clubs. i checked on her when she did drive home on her own.

so.. part of me understands the danger, i just fail to internalize it. might be dumb on my part. cuz i do a have a history of gay bashing *yeah, got beat up for being a fag :rolleyes:* so i know what can happen..

i like driving around at night, when everyone is sleeping, too much to give it up.
*adds to the list of really stupid shit i do on the regular*

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I mostly drive when me and the mrs travel. She likes for me too. She is wicked good at the navigations and I'm awesome at driving. I also have this horrible anxiety thing when ANYONE else but me drives. Every accident I've been in was with someone else driving, so I'm fucking traumatized or something. I personally hate driving at night. But I always do it. I would rather drive my love home and hear her talk to me and show me where to turn or maybe even feed me a French fry if that's what is going on that evening. Its just the way we work. She has said I dont let her drive enough because of my phobia so I've been taking lengths to let her drive more and remain a calm passenger. But its extremely difficult for me. Probably a control issue due to my phobia.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*hugs Mr. Intrigue* i can so see you two driving down the road.. you on the wheel, her on french fry distribution and telling you to get over for the next left.

is fripping adorable!