Why are they gay?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: I've been wondering why people have made so many jokes about music pop stars like N'Sync, Backsteet Boys, and Clay Aiken being gay?

When it comes to the "boy band" groups, I've never heard anyone calling the all-male singing groups before them gay... Boyz II Men, New Edition, The Temptations... Is it a racial thing? Are blacks supposed to make a certain type of music and whites another? Is crossing the race/genre line a no-no? N'Sync and BSB are white guys who sing pop music that has roots in black R&B. Is it that the harder rock audience looks down on them because they are not like rock bands? I don't understand why they get teased so much.

As for Clay, his sexuality never concerned me and I thought the jokes that Leno and Conan make about him were unfair. The guy has a plus for me in my book for being abstinent. Is that a reason? Is it his hair? Is it his clothes? Or again, the way he sings?

Anyone have any ideas about the jokes behind them versus other bands, groups, and singers??

2. Imported

Gold Member

Longhornjok: Well, I just have to say I live in L.A. and work in the film industry. I think I have heard almost every actor/singer you can name is either gay or a drug addict or both. Obviously, there are some gay/lesbian performers who are not out because they're concerned about the impact it would have on their careers. I know there is some truth to some rumors, but I would guess most of it is just a way to sell more copies of The Enquirer or gossip about people who make a lot of money.

In terms of Clay Aiken, I don't really follow AMERICAN IDOL but a friend told me that early on in the season there was some reference or implication to him having a "special friend" and maybe even a shot of a guy in the audience, but that as he progressed through the competition, they stopped mentioning that. If he is gay, I am sure the RCA (or whatever label) folks have told him to keep it to himself. Saying he is celibate could be one way of trying to avoid questions about a girlfriend, although I have no idea of his orientation.

I dunno why more members of white male singing groups have those rumors around them than members of black male singing groups.

3. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: I think the main thing may be that these groups are aimed at young teenage girls (the teenyboppers). Becuase of their undying love of aforementioned bands, teenage boys get jealous and start casting doubt over their sexuality as a kind of defence.

Also, I think the type of music also doesn't help - 100% soppy ballads just aren't very matcho, are they ???

We also get exactly the same thing here, though with Westlife etc.

4. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: [quote author=Hapi Papi link=board=99;num=1063257140;start=0#0 date=09/10/03 at 22:03:19]I've been wondering why people have made so many jokes about music pop stars like N'Sync, Backsteet Boys, and Clay Aiken being gay?
    [/quote]
    It probably started with The Village People. After them, I'm sure the idea of a gay male singing group caught on.

And I think Clay gets hassled about being gay because he is pretty noticably flamboyant.

5. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I don't think there are too many male Black groups that have really emerged in the pop genre. B2K ["Uh Huh," "Bump, Bump, Bump," "Girlfriend"] was the only one that came to mind. By and large, I think male Black groups tend to swing toward heavy balladering and R&B [like Boyz II Men; Bell, Biv, Devoe; Tony, Toni, Tone] or rap of various persuasions [the latest proliferation, "crunk:" Ying Yang Twins, the Eastside Boys; or something more gangsta: D12, the Cash Money Millionaires].

Let's face it. I know this is a bad image, but you don't see too many male Black groups who go out in matching "pop" costumes, tighter jeans and shirts colored in various ways, big belts, whacked out hairstyles, and dance to heavily choreographed sequences, do you? I think the very flamboyance of pop music doesn't cross racial lines so much, simply because the participants (in this case, white guys versus Black guys) have different standards with which to perform. To specify further, Black men have a degree of "street cred (credibility)" to prove to their audience; to do so requires a usual degree of lyrical hardness and impermeability, a proof of sexuality and (hetero)sexual interest, noncommital and untouched (impervious) posturing; and in the case of R&B'ers, of course they have to know how to sing, to sing deep, and to get their women of color counterparts all hot and moist!

White guys... well... culturally, they don't have that much pressure from their specific audience, I don't think. So long as they are pop-marketable enough for MTV, there's no real deeper interrogation for street credability. So long as they're "cute" or make teenage girls gush, they're fine.

What I don't understand is...
    • Isn't it rather shallow of women to flock to rappers because of their money? I mean, if I were a chick, I sure wouldn't be turned on by all that gold and platinum in their mouths! Ha ha.
    • And y'all white people's somethin' else too! I know pop artists have to have that whole cute thing going for them; granted, it's wrong to assume they're gay because they don't really act macho or are dressed the way they are -- but I still see why girls (and some guys) utterly melt. It's not like their music is all that hot, you know?
    • If Hilary Duff (formerly of "Lizzie McGuire") can make a CD and claim to have the #1 selling album now... I'm convinced anyone can do it. Maybe that's why I don't buy CDs anymore; there's so much crap out there not worth wasting the money upon.

6. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I truly believe that Conan and Jay are only kidding around, and that they're not intending to be mean. On the other hand, gays are an easy target, and I'm sure that there are some viewers who take those jokes as a license to harrass gay people in society.

I do think that tremendous progress is being made, however, and that in the not-too-distant future, the gay jokes and the gay "minstrel shows" such as Queer Eye For The Straight Guy will seem incredibly passe'.

7. Imported

Gold Member

sudas: I'd have to go with the idea that bands and singers are packaged to appeal to teen girls, who buy CD's & posters and attend concerts. No one is going to be listening to that crap in 5-10 years.

It burns me about that judge on American Idol; I don't mean his comments. Apparently, he's worked in the industry as a talent scout, or something. He could have found people who didn't fit the mold for years, if he wanted to do so. Forget about an old rocker or a fat girl duo winning. They should sneak in a ringer- a fat opera singer from an obscure country, to expose the chicanery.

The sooner the internet overthrows the recording industry the better it will be for the culture. It's unfathomable to me that we all invested in CD technology, (which CD's are cheaper to produce), but prices are still $5-10 more expensive than tapes were. Furthermore, the artists get pennies on the sale of an $18 CD.

8. jonb

Gold Member

@Hapi:
    They're castrati with the musculature of a five-year-old. Need I say more?

@Longhorn:
    Blame Sir Edward Gibbon's wishful thinking. Now everyone thinks "gay" = "white".

9. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: [quote author=sudas link=board=99;num=1063257140;start=0#6 date=09/12/03 at 14:02:50]I'd have to go with the idea that bands and singers are packaged to appeal to teen girls, who buy CD's & posters and attend concerts. No one is going to be listening to that crap in 5-10 years.

It burns me about that judge on American Idol; I don't mean his comments. Apparently, he's worked in the industry as a talent scout, or something. He could have found people who didn't fit the mold for years, if he wanted to do so. Forget about an old rocker or a fat girl duo winning. They should sneak in a ringer- a fat opera singer from an obscure country, to expose the chicanery.

The sooner the internet overthrows the recording industry the better it will be for the culture. It's unfathomable to me that we all invested in CD technology, (which CD's are cheaper to produce), but prices are still $5-10 more expensive than tapes were. Furthermore, the artists get pennies on the sale of an $18 CD.[/quote]

As I guess you are talking about Simon Cowell...

On the UK Pop Idol (Just plain Pop Idol here), we actually had an opera singer come in and perform in the auditions. The reply was 'great voice, but not suited to singing pop'. We also got an, ahem, larger guy - Rick Waller. He had a good voice but was HUGE :eek: He made it through to the final, much to Pete Waterman's and Simon Cowell's disgust, and there was even an internet campaign to vote him in just to piss them off.

And yes - as a 'talent scout' - he has been responsible for some of the blandest pop to come out of the UK in years. Blue - ugh!

10. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

Collateral :
    Gay or not, I always had a nicest feeling of virile pleasure when hearing BSB singing, years ago, « Boys will be boys ». Mhhhh... ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted