Why are we losing so many vauled members?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Nicodemous, Jul 15, 2011.

1. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

It seems that in the past 2 months we hve lost at least 4 or 5 members who really made this place fun and worthwhile.

Wheteher it is offline life or boredom and frustration with the direction this site and its membership is taking is anyone's guess.

What do you think, kind people of LPSG?

2. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

People come and people go. We miss the lovely ones and look forward to getting to know new lovelies.

3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jesus tap Dancing Christ- you of all people should know.

(PS Yes I took you off ignore. Curiosity killed the cat, so to speak.)

4. Quast

Quast Well-Known Member

Well there's newly active people to. *cough*

5. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't know the reasons for people leaving, but I wish them well. I wish they would stay though. I'd like another chance to befriend certain ex-members.

Nico is one of the nicest people here, you must be confused.

6. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

Look you have proved your point, k? You dont like me, think less of me, and dont want to get to no me. I get it.

I was more thinking of Hhuck, and Maxcok. I miss them tremendously. I miss there banter, and wit. I miss what they brought to this place. I never got to know Cunning Stunt, and now never will.

If you don't like this thread or me, feel free to put me bck on ignore. Or hey, ignore the thread without putting me on it. You can comment if you wish.

But I was only close to two of the people. i never knew Hickboy, but wonder why he left. There are those of you (yourself included) who hve been here longer.

Perhps i am wondering also why some dissper and others open a thread announcing it. nd then there is the strong support and opposition to each method.

That was the point of this thread. Mabe it is stupid. Maybe no one else cares, or this will be the last post as it dies a quiet death. All wel and good. But please do not assume you know my intent or cast dispersions in my direction. I am asking polietly for what I think is a reasonable request.

7. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm in touch with about 3 longterm members who have left, and as nudeyorker said, if they wanted everyone to know why - they would have left a public message. Every one of them had their own reason - no conspiracy or big disappointment in LPSG.

People are always missed when they leave, but that's the nature of places like this. Sometimes it seems to come in waves and people mourn "the good old days". At some point in the future, someone else will post a thread and ask the same question, and wonder where some of us are? Were we pushed or did we jump? These will be the "good old days".

It's nice to miss the ones who are gone, but look around you. Who do you think are the ones who are going to stick around? Who are the people who signed up in the last year who are going to be here in five years? Who are going to be the new "valued members"? How long does it take to become a valued member? Is it based on post count? Length of membership? Quality of post? Pictures?

When we miss the ones who leave, it reminds us that when we see someone we admire on the boards - get to know them before they leave. Make them a friend now. :)

8. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess my point nico was that a good number of them leave because of the attitude- I mean, you waited until Red was gone until starting a thread mocking him. Look in the mirror dude.

9. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

I said what i needed to say to him PRE banning as well. Then my last one to him was before I knew he was banned. As for mocking him? Nah, not so much. I guess I am tired of seeing all the returning banned members. I would like to point out that it may be the attitude thrown by CURRENT members at CURRENT members that has more to do with why some of the people who leqave becuase of frustration with the members then a joshing and very tame thread that was started to vent some of the spleen that some of the members have needed to.

I think the way some of the current members treat others would be more a detrement to people staying. In my first few months I very nearly left, just from the level of venom in the threads. That may be more a reason. I have been involved in a few (very few) scrapes with others. For the most part (95%) I have been nothing but supportive and kind. I gave second and third chances to people who proved later to not have deserved them. I stayed neutral in a few fights between friends, tried to soothe in others. And while my thread might have been misguided (perhaps just a funny usernames for returning trolls) there was no harm meant. I had stated that had he returned through the proper channels, I would have personally requested the thread closed, had the mods left it open.

To all: I am not asking ANY of you to tell confidential information regarding people who have left. Just why do you think they do? What causes some to announce with a thread and others not to do so.

And why does it seem they are all leaving now?

I know some have stated RL obligations, but then why not just leave your account fallow (Max has). why the need to close it. Are they afraid that they will be tempted to come back? And then this plays into the ones who geet themselves banned. Is it more of a survival thing? Like they know they are addicted and need to break all ties?

Anyways, maybe this was a suck thread. I just couldn't frame it right. Sorry.

Oh and if anyone wants to get to know me, to see the kind of peron i am, feel free to peruse my posts, blogs, or *gasp* pm me! I know i try to mae the effort to know who iam dealing with, and not base it on one post or one misguided thread.

#9 B_Nicodemous, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some of my friends who have backed off from the board do so because they get bored by the interpersonal politics and rivalries that from time to time hijack threads and overshadow the support aspect of the site. Some are fed up with the trolls or troll-like behavior.

Nothing is forever and various people have differing levels of interest, tolerance or stamina, for what goes on here. Many find this website addictive and taking too much time from offline life and need to quit it like a bad habit.

11. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Why do they seem to leave in droves? Is it a peer thing? Or a friend thing? Like, "gee so and so is leaving, maybe it is time to call it quits.." or "all my lod friends are going...what's holding me here"?

I agree on all of your other points.

Thanks again.

12. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

Its the circle of life...I have been a member for a while and have seen people come and go in cycles. I took a leave of absence myself for a while. I think that when we first find LPSG, it becomes a fascination, eventually turning into an obsession. Eventually, common sense creeps back and people either go back to their normal routines, reducing their time on here or leaving the community entirely. Factor in the varied personalities and some individuals taking this community way too seriously (or in some cases becoming bullies or a persona different than their real life personality) people grow tired of some of the ridiculousness and move on for that reason as well.

Over time, certain personalities tend to find each other and there is a synergy that grows as a result. I have seen these groups ascend and descend over time. I remember a time when I was part of such a group and enjoyed the personalities and conversations that we had. I still keep in touch with many of them. When all is said and done...this is the LPSG way...people will continue find the site and many will move on--as I said, the circle of life :)

13. monel

Gold Member

Speaking of disappearing members, is MickeyLee on hiatus? Her avatar is gone and I do like those dinosaur footy pajama's.

14. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ms MickeyLee is taking a break. Yes, I miss the cute avatar too.

15. monel

Gold Member

Figured as much. Thanks.

16. D_Ted Riding Hooded

D_Ted Riding Hooded New Member

Not a 'valued' member here but I've been thinking of leaving myself, maybe after nearly 5 years, you've just about seen/heard it all.....

17. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I have to say I really dislike the concept of a "valued member" it implies there are (as you point out) members who are not valued.

If you're not creep or an arsehole and you don't break the site rules then I think the site values your presence and contribution whatever it may be.

And that's part of what's a little skewed about this discussion, the valued members in question will undoubtedly be missed, I'll miss some of them myself personally, though I'll keep in contact with a couple of them, but they're mostly forumites and it's mostly forumites who're mourning their departure.

There are all kinds of ways of enjoying this site not all revolve around the forums, and anyone who contributes to that enjoyment in whatever part of the site they prefer is of worth.

18. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Speaking for myself, I enjoyed our little Alan Partridge banter the other day. You're obviously not a bad guy. Don't leave unless you really want/have to. :smile:

To me, the 'valued' members are all those who bring something positive to the table. That is, the vast majority. The trolls and other irritants are the 'not valued' and usually banned. That's how I see it, anyway.

19. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep, only so many different ways you can beat a dead horse.

Plus when certain members play king of the hill, and the moderator mayhem that goes on..... it's not worth arguing over and easier to exit gracefully.
    Let them eat themselves alive.

#19 Rikter8, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  20. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am a valued member, right :shocked:

Was here for two years before I regularly posted and if I suddenly go quiet for a year again, you will take up the slack I hope :love:

Draft saved Draft deleted